GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

93 Octane Log Review

phecker410

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R 6MT
Hi All,

Wondering if anyone is willing to give my latest logs a quick look. I am not quite savvy enough to spot redflags in these datasets. I trust nick @ EQT but he's busy as crap and a second set of eyes never hurts. This is 93 octane, around 70 degrees F and 500-700ft above sea level. Hoping this tune isn't overly aggressive.

I would really appreciate it.

Datalog18 is 2nd gear - 4th gear
Datalog19 is 4th gear

https://datazap.me/u/410golfr/93revision34th-gear?log=0&data=8-14
https://datazap.me/u/410golfr/93revision34th-gear?log=1&data=8-14

phecker410

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R 6MT
Did you move over your old or was it a new WG? There is a shorter version that needs a spacer, I think @JerseyDrew77 added one on his DBV turbo that helped spool.
Just checked my sad and lonely stock parts box in my attic and I do have the stock WG up there in a box, so there's another one on the car. @Gvazquez do you happen to remember which WG came with the DBV2?

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Just checked my sad and lonely stock parts box in my attic and I do have the stock WG up there in a box, so there's another one on the car. @Gvazquez do you happen to remember which WG came with the DBV2?
If you have one of these on you also need one of the spacers pictured, not sure exactly how long is right.

MAHLE IHI IS38 electronic turbo wastegate actuator EA888 AUDI S3 / VW MK7 GOLF R | eBay

But you should be able to stick your phone in under the turbo to check what you got on video.

phecker410

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R 6MT
Hmmm having trouble seeing it with the phone flashlight. Is it hot side or cold side underneath?

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Hmmm having trouble seeing it with the phone flashlight. Is it hot side or cold side underneath?

Here is a picture

phecker410

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R 6MT

Here is a picture
Thanks. Just left the house for a few hours but I’ll try to capture an image later tonight.
Does this pose any serious to the engine or turbo? I would imagine it might require the turbo to work harder to hit targets?
Seemingly performance would suffer from lag, of course.

ChrisMk77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI Performance
Thanks. Just left the house for a few hours but I’ll try to capture an image later tonight.
Does this pose any serious to the engine or turbo? I would imagine it might require the turbo to work harder to hit targets?
Seemingly performance would suffer from lag, of course.
No should not worry and it probably is not even wrong but just make sure later as the right lenght will let the WG have full movement and accurate voltages.

phecker410

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R 6MT
No should not worry and it probably is not even wrong but just make sure later as the right lenght will let the WG have full movement and accurate voltages.
Thank you. I think that’s the first time I’ve ever posed that question regarding data readings and the answer hasn’t been, “Yes, catastrophic failure, built motor.”

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
That 100% looks like a boost leak to me. If it were my car I would get it pressure tested ASAP.

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
That 100% looks like a boost leak to me. If it were my car I would get it pressure tested ASAP.
More like his WG is having issues. If you look at the Target Boost Pressure PSI and the actual Boost Pressure PSI, you can see the gap in the beginning of the acceleration but then his actual boost pressure does eventually reach the targeted boost toward the end. If he had a boost leak, the values between the two would be reversed, actual would be higher than the targeted.

phecker410

Ready to race!
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R 6MT

Here is a picture
Having a real tough time capturing usable footage with the cellphone. I can tell that the little box connected to the rod is black and plastic like shown here, but having trouble picking up anything else on camera.

Assuming it's a WG issue, would I first try to adjust the rod? Is there a specific length I need? I'd rather eat worms than pull the turbo myself, so we're talking about ~$1000 in shop time for this fix. Worth it?