GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

87 Octane this one time!

luisreyes1017

Hello all! Due to Hurricane Irma, Florida is experiencing a shortage of gas. I went to the gas station yesterday and all the had was 87 octane. I did not fill up then. I'm waiting and hoping that today there will be 91+. If I were to fill with 87 this one time, will it effect my car negatively?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VWTURBOFAM

Ready to race!
In south Texas, because of Hurricane Harvey, all they have at the moment (if any at all) is 87 Octane....sux. Luckily, i still have a half tank on the GTI, but had to remove my Tunes on the other cars i own.

marauder

Go Kart Newbie
if you've got half a tank of 91 or 93 and you put in 87 you'll be fine, just just go full throttle, keep it out of boost as much as possible. If you don't need gas then just wait. If you're driving to leave the evacuation zone, half a tank will still get you 150-200 miles, where you should be able to find proper gas.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
Even if your tank is 100% full 87 octane you will be fine if you are not tuned. You may experience a reduction in power but that is the ECU adjusting to the lower octane.

You will damage nothing, just won't be as fast.

Pingers

Ready to race!
They usually run out 87 and 91 first. 93 was always available here in VA even during the panic.

The reason it's happening is because once the premium is gone the tanks are being refilled with 87 because that's the overall majority of what people are wanting\needing. Demand is driving supply. Same thing happening in SWFL. My wife said every station she checked this morning that HAD gas, had only 87.

maTTQ

No Premium in Dallas either. I gave it just two gallons of 87 this morning. Really annoying too 'cause I just scored a $0.25/gallon discount this week w/T-Mobile Tuesdays but it expires tonight. Guess I'll detune today (Uniconnect+) and fill her up.

miked617

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
21 VW GTI
Couldn't you fill with 87, detune and add then add some octane booster as a precaution? Just a thought.

heydabop

Passed Driver's Ed
Look at the sticker inside your fuel cap door. If it says 87 RON (which it should) then you're fine and have absolutely nothing to worry about. At most you'll experience less power but you won't hurt the engine.

This is of course assuming you're stock and don't have a 93 tune or something.

CDM MK7

Ready to race!
Adding to the echo chamber here, but as long as you're not tuned 87 is fine. I run my GTI everyday on 87 with the exception of track days where I spring for 93.