GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

8055WAGEN'S 2017 GSW DSG 4MOTION IS38

Supercrumpet

Ready to race!
Car(s)
'19 Alltrack SE 6MT
Thanks :) It's growing on me. I may swap it for more of a bronze color to match the wheels in the future.

For sure, color matching it to the wheels would be the biggest improvement.

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
Keep an eye out for a used set of EDs?

You must have a magic whisper :)
00100dPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20200723184339068_COVER.jpg
IMG_20200723_184740.jpg

IMG_20200723_182213.jpg

Also some Golf R DSG Springs courtesy of @Faceman
IMG_20200722_210059.jpg

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
I bought these lights knowing none of the passenger side LEDs worked, but the low price made it worth the risk. It ended up being a bad ground wire / pin on the passenger side plug. After that was sorted out, I cleaned up all the wiring. The housings came with mismatched LEDs, and by pure luck I had a pair of new H11 HIDs laying around from my RX350. Now I know what you're thinking, EDs lights take D2Hbulbs. But as it turns out, an H11 fits in the hole, and the dimensions from the base of the bulb to the light emitting portion are within 1mm. H11 also does not have clocking marks, so I lined them up by eye. Anyway they will work temporarily.

There was a little clearcoat flaking, so I sanded them down and reapplied clearcoat. They are not perfect, but they will work for 1/3 the price of new ones.

Next I'll switch back to a red stripe on the grille, and keep a look out for a LP grille. Will need to aim the headlight once it gets dark.

IMG_20200723_175304.jpg

IMG_20200724_155209.jpg

IMG_20200724_155213 (1).jpg

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
I bought these lights knowing none of the passenger side LEDs worked, but the low price made it worth the risk. It ended up being a bad ground wire / pin on the passenger side plug. After that was sorted out, I cleaned up all the wiring. The housings came with mismatched LEDs, and by pure luck I had a pair of new H11 HIDs laying around from my RX350. Now I know what you're thinking, EDs lights take D2Hbulbs. But as it turns out, an H11 fits in the hole, and the dimensions from the base of the bulb to the light emitting portion are within 1mm. H11 also does not have clocking marks, so I lined them up by eye. Anyway they will work temporarily.

There was a little clearcoat flaking, so I sanded them down and reapplied clearcoat. They are not perfect, but they will work for 1/3 the price of new ones.

Next I'll switch back to a red stripe on the grille, and keep a look out for a LP grille. Will need to aim the headlight once it gets dark.

View attachment 180547

View attachment 180550
View attachment 180551

Which plug was it? Could you take a pic of which plug it was that powers the LEDs? I'm having a problem with the outer passenger side one also. I don't think it's a connection issue for me, but I'd still like to look at the connector/wire.

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
Which plug was it? Could you take a pic of which plug it was that powers the LEDs? I'm having a problem with the outer passenger side one also. I don't think it's a connection issue for me, but I'd still like to look at the connector/wire.

You're in luck, I took pictures of everything before I put it back together.

In the below picture, the pin that looks like it is melted away actually got shoved into the connector. I opened up the light by prying the connector out, then re seated and glued the pin in place.

IMG_20200723_144451.jpg

I also checked the LED boards by swapping them side to side, mine ended up both being good.
IMG_20200723_133735.jpg

Ed provided me with the below picture. The boxes attached to the outside of the lights are resistors for the LEDs. This may have gone bad on your unit.
download.png

My lights came with one pigtail extender (which seems to allow the U U to stay on with the low beams). If you have these installed, they could be another source of problems.
IMG_20200723_144221 (1).jpg

Now your issue is probably different than mine, but here is what ED said about mine:

Hi Carl

Thanks for the questions, I try and sum up the issue you are having.

1. Passenger side LEDs are not working. Then pigtail adapter on the passenger side is missing, and there is a pin missing from that headlight. Does it look melted or someone snipped it off?

Questions for you.

Does the turn signal work on the passenger side headlight? It is a LED, it should not work if the LED controller is missing. Let me know.

Also, no LED DRLs (u shaped LEDs) even when the low beams are off?

My Comments

I think the issue is the missing pin, it is the main ground for the headlight, so if there is no ground, the lights will not work properly. As well, probably in the past, they thought there maybe a problem with the headlight, either the pin and some internal wiring melted, or they remove the pigtail connector on that side, and removed the pin for some weird reason, thus making the headlight not functional…

The purpose of the pigtail adapter was optional, it was meant to keep the LED DRLs on with the low beams, without it, they turn off when the low beams are on.

The resistor you mentioned, is circled in yellow. You can unplug it from one side and plug it into the other side ands see if that makes any difference, but I feel without the ground pin, it probably wont work. I think your best option is to pry off the headlight connector, and see if there is any melted wiring, and to replace the pin. You can cut and solder on a pin and wire from the pigtail connector. See if that solves the problem for you.

You can also check if you are getting power to pin 4, which is the LED DRLs with a multimeter.

Hope that helps.

Ed

Despite me not purchasing the lights new, ED was very helpful and provided useful information. I would reach out to him and see if he has any thoughts on your specific issue.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
You're in luck, I took pictures of everything before I put it back together.

In the below picture, the pin that looks like it is melted away actually got shoved into the connector. I opened up the light by prying the connector out, then re seated and glued the pin in place.

View attachment 180556

I also checked the LED boards by swapping them side to side, mine ended up both being good.
View attachment 180557

Ed provided me with the below picture. The boxes attached to the outside of the lights are resistors for the LEDs. This may have gone bad on your unit.
View attachment 180560

My lights came with one pigtail extender (which seems to allow the U U to stay on with the low beams). If you have these installed, they could be another source of problems.
View attachment 180563

Now your issue is probably different than mine, but here is what ED said about mine:

Despite me not purchasing the lights new, ED was very helpful and provided useful information. I would reach out to him and see if he has any thoughts on your specific issue.
[/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'm at least going to check the resistor and jiggle those wires around. I emailed ED also and he told me my LED circuit board is likely bad and there is nothing I could do. I was really straight forward and let him know I got it used, he was still super nice and helpful. I'm going to try jiggling the wires around in hopes a "miracle" happens.

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
Awesome build to follow! Did you end up switching to the red-stripped grill?

Also, thanks for the invite to GolfMk7 - I finally got around to signing up.

Glad to see you over here!

Haven't made the switch yet, probably will use some red vinyl on my current grill. I've already spent enough $ on this thing for a while :)

I did put the OE H7 bulbs in my EDs, the hids that came with them had some flickering that I will need to address with canbus modules. Also had a friend stop by with his 4 runner which some of you guys may like.

IMG_20200728_062433.jpg

IMG_20200728_062207.jpg

IMG_20200728_062231.jpg

elliotw

Car(s)
7.5 GTI, 997GT3RS
Those headlights really make the front end. I am wondering if you know is the GTI rear bumper bolt right on to the wagon or is the wagon a special rear bumper from the standard golf body?

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
Those headlights really make the front end. I am wondering if you know is the GTI rear bumper bolt right on to the wagon or is the wagon a special rear bumper from the standard golf body?

Thanks I like them too! The wagon has a unique rear bumper. I am not sure about Mk7/7.5 compatibility, but the Mk7 Sportwagen, Alltrack, and Golf R Estate (Euro) are interchangeable as far as I know. GTI/R (standard) will not fit.

8055WAGEN

Go Kart Champion
After a busy spring, the first upgrade of 2021 is rear subframe bushings. Easy install, results seem positive after a minimal amount of driving. Seems to have the 'Planted' feel that has been talked about.

I'm signed up for my first Autocross this coming Sunday in South Bend, IN. Wish me luck, and any tips are welcome.

24,500 miles on the car now
PXL_20210614_221806702.jpg

PXL_20210614_221730251.jpg

Also got a new plate in the mail:
PXL_20210518_165201873.jpg

ZuMBLe

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Alltrack 6MT
After a busy spring, the first upgrade of 2021 is rear subframe bushings. Easy install, results seem positive after a minimal amount of driving. Seems to have the 'Planted' feel that has been talked about.

I'm signed up for my first Autocross this coming Sunday in South Bend, IN. Wish me luck, and any tips are welcome.

24,500 miles on the car now
View attachment 216687
View attachment 216688

Also got a new plate in the mail:
View attachment 216689
I'm doing the fronts next. The back feels planted now, but the front feels vague.