GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

8-inch screen retrofit, NAR radios, and SiriusXM

Jimal

Car(s)
2015 GTI 2-door
I'm doing my due diligence on upgrading my 2015 GTI form the existing MIB1 with the 5-inch screen to MIB2 with CarPlay. While there is a ton out there on the upgrade, the info comes from literally everywhere. And while I generally like doing these things on the cheap, I'm thinking about splurging on an 8-inch LCD kit from Euro Zone Tuning, which per their description is sourced from Germany. I'm in North America and I use SiriusXM, which is a NA-only service.

If I get the correct NAR head unit, will I still be able to access SXM through one of these 8-inch LCDs?

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
Sirius access comes via the 5F control module in the glovebox, not the LCD display. For that you'd want to source one from a U.S. car that had MIB2 and then work with a remote coder to remove component protection. When I did the upgrade from Composition Media to Discover Media, I sourced my MIB unit from a junked 2018 Tiguan, I believe. Part number ended up being 3Q0035876B. Hope that helps!

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@bobloblawGTI is correct regarding the XM, completely a function of the glove box unit. Think of the screen like a (not-smart) TV, just displays whatever is plugged into it.

Regarding "splurging" on a "kit" (only 2 parts) from EZT... spend at least twice the money for (maybe) half the support and have a non US spec unit (no XM) at your own peril 😁.
- It looks like in their pictures they tried to hide the screen part number, but it's 5G0919606 ;).
- If you decide to do it I'll dig up the part number for the trim, here in the forums somewhere.

You can get those screens for under $200 all day on eBay. I would order the trim new online, expect maybe $150. It will come with the upper vents.

If you are patient and don't mind re-using your existing vents you can get the main trim piece from Ali-Express for under $50.

Note that removing the vents from the trim piece will snap/crack a few of the little plastic pieces but it won't cause a problem (I've pulled my trim dozens of times, some of those little clips are cracked/gone, zero problems). To be fair you will probably snap/crack some removing your existing trim anyway. But you can avoid that by picking up the full deal (with vents), new, as mentioned above.

Last edited:

Jimal

Car(s)
2015 GTI 2-door
Thanks for the clarification and the additional info. One of my concerns was the availability of a surround that would match the rest of dash trim for the 8-inch LCD, based on the research I did here and on Vortex. I'll keep digging around; I'm not in a rush.

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
With unit 3Q0035876B I believe you can go with any display that is using 800x480 resolution. Here are your options:
1. pre-facelift 6.5" Composition Media / Discover Media display, matte, 8 push buttons, 2 control wheels.
2. facelift 8.0" Composition Media / Discover Media display, glossy, 8 touch surface buttons, 2 control wheels.
3. pre-facelift 8.0" Discover Pro display, matte, 8 push buttons, 2 control wheels.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
And gloss black trim is available for all three of those screen choices... I'm not sure about the gloss black with that subtle carbon effect though.

@Jimal Is your trim straight gloss black or does it have that carbon effect?

Jimal

Car(s)
2015 GTI 2-door
And gloss black trim is available for all three of those screen choices... I'm not sure about the gloss black with that subtle carbon effect though.

@Jimal Is your trim straight gloss black or does it have that carbon effect?
Carbon effect, which the kit I linked to appears to offer as an option, but I have not yet confirmed. If I have to change in order to use the bigger screen I'll think about it, but I'd rather keep the carbon look, if for no other reason the additional cost eating into whatever savings I would realize sourcing used parts, and the extra effort involved to install them for not all that much gain.

2LEEGIT

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
GTI MK7
Looking to upgrade the screen to the 8” in my ‘16…would love to have a part number of the trim bezel and source for one.

Jimal

Car(s)
2015 GTI 2-door
Looking to upgrade the screen to the 8” in my ‘16…would love to have a part number of the trim bezel and source for one.
The only thing I'm finding, apart from the EZT kit I linked above, is from Ali Express, which I'm ambivalent about.

EDIT: I think I found a part number, but I'm waiting to confirm before I share.

Last edited:

bobloblawGTI

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
19 GTI SE 6MT
What is the difference between Navi and non-Navi kits, for $100? Are the screens interchangeable?
Either screen will work, but if you have the Nav screen and don't have Navigation, the button will throw up a "function not supported" alert. Likewise if you have Navigation but get the non-Navi screen, you'll have to go into the software menus to access the navigation function.

Jimal

Car(s)
2015 GTI 2-door
UPDATE
My carbon effect trim piece arrived today from Latvia via eBay after ordering in mid-February. It APPEARS to be the piece we are looking for.

5G1819728AFDAR

IMG_5664.jpeg

The slow collection of parts continues...