GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

7+ years on VWR springs

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
I read it too but I'm trying to understand the mechanism for the failure and what actually happens to cause a loss of damping is really my question.
I tried to dive into this more because I'm curious now... Oil viscosity might come into play as per this article by Monroe (obviously a manufacturer that wants you to replace your stuff more frequently). Maybe this explains how all the oil could remain in the damper but still not work as well? I'd love to read a more tech article if anyone has one.

https://www.monroe.com/technical-resources/shocks-101/what-causes-shocks-struts-to-wear-out.html

1661437680422.png

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I tried to dive into this more because I'm curious now... Oil viscosity might come into play as per this article by Monroe (obviously a manufacturer that wants you to replace your stuff more frequently). Maybe this explains how all the oil could remain in the damper but still not work as well? I'd love to read a more tech article if anyone has one.

https://www.monroe.com/technical-resources/shocks-101/what-causes-shocks-struts-to-wear-out.html

View attachment 259130
Wow and I appreciate you wanting to learn more - I just always am curious about things and folks often don't spend anytime looking into anything vs. regurgitating common things they read online. That itself would account for loss of damping without leaks. Lowering springs have higher rates but we are not talking by much - they have to be shorter or else you would just be bottomed out all the time under the weight of the car. I figure most are ~100 pounds/inch at most more than stock. When dampers are "made for lowering springs" like Bilstein B8s, they are just sport dampers with a shorter body (1" to be exact) vs. the B6 to hold the shorter spring in/maintain some preload. However, with that said, the springs on my were fine on stock lenght dampers. Koni Sports are for either stock or lowering springs. The shortness of the spring to me isn't the issue, it's the higher rate so for example, on your hatch, this is like me pushing hard when I open it against those dampers vs. lightly...at least this makes sense to me....and I can see where that would wear out the hatch struts faster.

Baka

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2014 GTI PP
Good find, I always wondered what exactly happens. I've definitely seen some dampers that haven't popped or leaked, that are absolutely flogged.

View attachment 259130

George Ab

Drag Racing Champion
I too have had my VWR (blue) springs on since early 2016. Struts started to indicate issues about 25K miles later. Went with Koni yellows. Quite happy with the setup.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Just as an aside, but I change the oil in my bicycle shock and fork every 1k miles. It makes a noticeable difference and they never lose oil volume. I’m sure car shocks could benefit from a fluid change, but none really have that option that I know of.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Just as an aside, but I change the oil in my bicycle shock and fork every 1k miles. It makes a noticeable difference and they never lose oil volume. I’m sure car shocks could benefit from a fluid change, but none really have that option that I know of.

There are struts that can be sent back to the manufacturer to be rebuilt.

I'll replace the fork seals and oil in my fork and seals in the rear shock on my mountain bikes once a year.

tigeo

Autocross Champion
There are struts that can be sent back to the manufacturer to be rebuilt.

I'll replace the fork seals and oil in my fork and seals in the rear shock on my mountain bikes once a year.
Same, I rebuild both fork/shock on my mtb once a year.

avenali312

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Same, I rebuild both fork/shock on my mtb once a year.
I don't think the shock or forks on my 2012 Trek Fuel EX 8 have ever been rebuilt :ROFLMAO:

tigeo

Autocross Champion
I don't think the shock or forks on my 2012 Trek Fuel EX 8 have ever been rebuilt :ROFLMAO:
And I'm sure they reward you with stellar performance!

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
It's the only full suspension bike I've ever ridden, so it's one of those don't-know-if-it-could-be-any-better scenarios haha.
I have a rigid single speed, flush the brakes every few years, throw some chain lube on it if you think about it, it's great. I just snapped the replacement UDH on my dual suspension just trying to torque it to the spec they listed. Off to buy another and under torque it.