GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

6/30/2020 - Carmax Trade Value

jrdigioia

Passed Driver's Ed
In a similar boat with WFH now trying to figure out if I really need to have a note every month. Just glad it’s not the corvette note I was carrying before this one. i hate paying for a car that’s rarely used.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
I talked this over with my wife at length yesterday, and we decided keeping the car was the best move (for now).

Primarily because our other vehicle is a Miata and would be hard to evacuate us AND our pet if a hurricane comes. Which we had to do last year when Dorian threatened.

By the time I sold this, bought something reasonable reliable (paying sales tax again etc) we just don’t think we’d be that much further ahead. The car is on 1.85% financing as well through our credit union since it was bought used.

Trust me I like pretty things and cars too, but like @jrdigioia paying the note on something unused is rough even if one can afford it. Especially when your employer is telling you what the new normal is.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
I got bored today and went back.

Carmax offered me $34,000 dollars flat. That is more than I paid for the car and +$3,000 since the original offer!

Going to have my tires moved back to the stock wheels, and its gone I think at that price. I like the car, but not $34,000 well to sit and collect dust in my garage. Will likely just buy some used clapped on MK7 GTI like I had and pocket the rest.

randomhobo130

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2020 Autobahn DSG
I got bored today and went back.

Carmax offered me $34,000 dollars flat. That is more than I paid for the car and +$3,000 since the original offer!

Going to have my tires moved back to the stock wheels, and its gone I think at that price. I like the car, but not $34,000 well to sit and collect dust in my garage. Will likely just buy some used clapped on MK7 GTI like I had and pocket the rest.
For that price, I wish I could offer you my mk7 +cash... Stupid life and responsibilities.... That CarMax is about to put it up on the market for 38k easy .

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Crazy how fast the market turned on a dime from when I bought this early March. The dealer I got it from in Tampa was like desperate to make a sale back then.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I would be curious to see how much carvana would offer. My last two vehicle i've sold to them since carmax was low balling me.

I pretty much had the same experience for one of the vehicle which i sold and another quote which i got in the recent past.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Wow ok, Carvana is + 17 dollars over Carmax. Has anyone ever actually used them before? Carmax is ultra painless when you sell them a car.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    79.2 KB · Views: 103

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I had great experiences with either of them. Carvana is very convenient as they pick the vehicle from your doorstep.

I prefer Carvana as i need to drive a couple of hours to my nearest Carmax and Carvana's offer was better.