GOLFMKV

5G6 919 605 8" Glass Display Variants

guccigolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MY17 TSI Comfortline
So as far as I know, the 5G6 919 605 8" glass display has 5 variants:
5G6 919 605 - base screen with no carplay or nav, just the setup button
5G6 919 605 A - carplay screen (discontinued)
5G6 919 605 B - nav + carplay screen (discontinued)
5G6 919 605 C - carplay screen
5G6 919 605 D - nav + carplay screen

Is there any distinguishable difference between 5G6 919 605 A and C? Similarly, what about B and D? I've not heard of any difference in functionality between the respective displays.

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
Generally speaking, I wouldn't buy a discontinued one unless the price is really good. Sometimes a part is discontinued because they switch manufacturers. More likely it's a software change, which may or may not affect functionality.

Sometimes the functionality changes only show up with certain combinations of parts/software. For example, I don't think the app button worked with early MIB II main unit software. Those units with early software probably show as discontinued.

guccigolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MY17 TSI Comfortline
Generally speaking, I wouldn't buy a discontinued one unless the price is really good. Sometimes a part is discontinued because they switch manufacturers. More likely it's a software change, which may or may not affect functionality.

Sometimes the functionality changes only show up with certain combinations of parts/software. For example, I don't think the app button worked with early MIB II main unit software. Those units with early software probably show as discontinued.

Hmm, I'm actually getting the A variant for $200AUD in good condition. I think it's a good deal given that online kits go for $800+ and eBay sellers are around $300 at the moment. I've still gotta buy the trim though.

I've read about the nonfunctional app button before, I wonder if this was patched with the C/D variants... I do know it happens with the 2016 MIB II, so hopefully my car is an exception as it's chassis number reads 2017.

guccigolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MY17 TSI Comfortline
Installed the screen today, I already had the original screen out so it only took me 2 minutes to disconnect my battery, plug the screen in, and reconnect the battery.

No issues whatsoever with the A variant, even the app button works. Well worth the $200AUD.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221109-204129_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20221109-204129_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 145
  • Snapchat-1238447397.jpg
    Snapchat-1238447397.jpg
    1,019.4 KB · Views: 145

mr-fix

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
MK7 2.0TDI Variant
Hi! I'm not sure if that's not too much to ask, but would you help me out with one thing?
If you have VCDS or OBDeleven, can you please check what's the button code for the APP button?
It will be visible in module 5F → Live Data → Control head button operation → Button code 1 when you press the APP button. My friend with PQ unit checked this for me and reported back 64 but I just want to be sure if that's the case also for ZR units with separate screens.

Hope you don't mind me asking for your help over here.

guccigolf

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
MY17 TSI Comfortline
Hi! I'm not sure if that's not too much to ask, but would you help me out with one thing?
If you have VCDS or OBDeleven, can you please check what's the button code for the APP button?
It will be visible in module 5F → Live Data → Control head button operation → Button code 1 when you press the APP button. My friend with PQ unit checked this for me and reported back 64 but I just want to be sure if that's the case also for ZR units with separate screens.

Hope you don't mind me asking for your help over here.
Hey I just saw this, sorry. Love your videos by the way, they've been a massive help with my own retrofits.

I don't have VCDS/OBD11, but I do have OBD2 and my car scanner app gives me access to some coding and live data.

I'm going to be changing some adaptations tonight so I'll double check it I can get that info for you.