GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

5150 should probably stop selling tunes for a while

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAG_Guy

Passed Driver's Ed
More of a lurker than anything on these parts but just thought I would share my experience.

After paying for a tune through 5150 and getting a base tune, trying to get any sort of updates for tunes takes forever. I am talking about months of a backlog. If you try contacting him after a month of waiting about an update he posts on the 5150 facebook group that he is tired of people emailing and pming him asking about updates and they will come.

Fast forward 5 months later, I am on revision 2. I also noticed that when a tune is complete Jon does not let people know it is done. This leads them to believe that they are waiting on an update. Not sure how hard it is to email people back after the last log and say, logs look good tune is complete.

While it seems 5150 is the top Cobb tuner on this platform, the customer service is terrible, the time in between revisions is terrible, and he has a poll asking people if they will pay more to get priority over other people on the weekend.

I just think maybe they should shut down new requests until they catch up on the backlog and at the very least, new customers should be informed that there is a backlog and expect some delays. Instead i see 5150 still telling people it is a 2 week turn around when this is not true at all. Ask around for any newer people still going through the process, it takes a very very long time. So if you want a tune from 5150, you should get on the list before you even buy the car.

/endrant

Jedimk7

Drag Race Newbie
Yeah that sounds frustrating, they recently told me it would be easier if I just came to the shop for a Dyno tune than etune, stratified stops selling their tunes in their website time to time to catch up which I agree should be common practice for everyone. Hang in there, supposedly John is one hell of a tuner for the mk7..[emoji41][emoji106]
More of a lurker than anything on these parts but just thought I would share my experience.

After paying for a tune through 5150 and getting a base tune, trying to get any sort of updates for tunes takes forever. I am talking about months of a backlog. If you try contacting him after a month of waiting about an update he posts on the 5150 facebook group that he is tired of people emailing and pming him asking about updates and they will come.

Fast forward 5 months later, I am on revision 2. I also noticed that when a tune is complete Jon does not let people know it is done. This leads them to believe that they are waiting on an update. Not sure how hard it is to email people back after the last log and say, logs look good tune is complete.

While it seems 5150 is the top Cobb tuner on this platform, the customer service is terrible, the time in between revisions is terrible, and he has a poll asking people if they will pay more to get priority over other people on the weekend.

I just think maybe they should shut down new requests until they catch up on the backlog and at the very least, new customers should be informed that there is a backlog and expect some delays. Instead i see 5150 still telling people it is a 2 week turn around when this is not true at all. Ask around for any newer people still going through the process, it takes a very very long time. So if you want a tune from 5150, you should get on the list before you even buy the car.

/endrant

Sent from my Gavin Belson black box signature edition

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Being a good tuner is pointless if paying customers can't get your tunes.

Seems he is unprofessional at best. Luckily I figured that out before purchase and went a different route.

VAG_Guy

Passed Driver's Ed
Being a good tuner is pointless if paying customers can't get your tunes.

Seems he is unprofessional at best. Luckily I figured that out before purchase and went a different route.

Just trying to warn other people before they get caught in it. Nothing against the tunes, but if you aren't willing to wait 6 months for you tune to be complete, go somewhere else.

FineBottledWater

Passed Driver's Ed
A few months ago, with money in hand, I was ready to commit to purchase with 5150 based on the reputation. I cannot find more info about his tune other than people boasting about how great the tune is, so I send 5150 a message concerning the process, type of fuel, recommendations on thing, and so on. It took over two weeks to respond.

At that point, I figured that he is a busy man.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
Just trying to warn other people before they get caught in it. Nothing against the tunes, but if you aren't willing to wait 6 months for you tune to be complete, go somewhere else.

There's no way I have patience for that.

This has been my first e-tune experience and Stratified has made it timely and painless with excellent results so far, but I still don't like e-tuning in general. Much rather street tune the car and be done with it in an hour or two.

Hoon

Autocross Champion
A few months ago, with money in hand, I was ready to commit to purchase with 5150 based on the reputation. I cannot find more info about his tune other than people boasting about how great the tune is, so I send 5150 a message concerning the process, type of fuel, recommendations on thing, and so on. It took over two weeks to respond.

At that point, I figured that he is a busy man.

A professional would have generic responses to those types of common questions and a $12/hr assistant handling it.

Some of these guys are great tuners but don't have the slightest clue how to run a business.

Pikkagtr

Ready to race!
This sounds like an exact post a few months back stating the same issue

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
Being 5150 Tuned and also being previously tuned by another tuner, I can say VAG-Guy is correct in terms of the time it takes for revisions and overall lack of communication compared to other tuners. That being said. My base tune is heads and shoulders better than my 15th revision from my previous tuner who was no slouch. So I would say, If you have patience and want a kick ass tune, Jon is the man to go to. I bit the bullet after hearing so many good things about his tune and was curious how it compared to my current tune. It's a bit aggravating, but he is pretty active on the Facebook 5150 Etune group and gives people notice about the relative length of time you can expect to be waiting. Roughly..

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
Being 5150 Tuned and also being previously tuned by another tuner, I can say VAG-Guy is correct in terms of the time it takes for revisions and overall lack of communication compared to other tuners. That being said. My base tune is heads and shoulders better than my 15th revision from my previous tuner who was no slouch. So I would say, If you have patience and want a kick ass tune, Jon is the man to go to. I bit the bullet after hearing so many good things about his tune and was curious how it compared to my current tune. It's a bit aggravating, but he is pretty active on the Facebook 5150 Etune group and gives people notice about the relative length of time you can expect to be waiting. Roughly..

And if you don't have FB, then what? He doesn't notify you?

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
And if you don't have FB, then what? He doesn't notify you?

No, you have his email as he has yours. FB is just the preferred method of communication. Hey personally I do not like FB, and understand that there are a number of people who do not like FB and hence do not have a FB account. To this I would say, it’s the price of doing business. If you want the best route of communication, get a FB account. Otherwise take your chances via the email route, or go with another tuner. I’m not here to tout 5150 as being what he’s not. Great tuner, not so great at communicating with clients.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
These are reasons I went with maestro, I almost went with Cobb but ultimately chose maestro because i want to option to learn and tune/make adjustments myself and not be at the mercy of someone else, and have been fortunate to talk to good tunes who take the time to explain and walk me through the process of learning, now if i need to make changes i can make them.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

BronxBomber

Ready to race!
These are reasons I went with maestro, I almost went with Cobb but ultimately chose maestro because i want to option to learn and tune/make adjustments myself and not be at the mercy of someone else, and have been fortunate to talk to good tunes who take the time to explain and walk me through the process of learning, now if i need to make changes i can make them.

Options are a beautiful thing. This is my 3rd vehicle with Cobb. I love that it serves as a data logging tool, can be used as an active digital gauge for any parameter and can show up to 6 different parameters at a time, it’s a scan tool, offers different stages of launch control which you can tailor on the fly, serves as a shift light, can record 0-60 and 1/4 mile times as well as customizable traction control. Not getting into a “mine is better than yours” rant, just explaining why I went the Cobb route. I’m not really interested in tuning my own car. Don’t have he time, but I’ve been tempted to try Eurodyne due to the great tuners out there on our platform and th great results.

railroader

Autocross Newbie
Options are a beautiful thing. This is my 3rd vehicle with Cobb. I love that it serves as a data logging tool, can be used as an active digital gauge for any parameter and can show up to 6 different parameters at a time, it’s a scan tool, offers different stages of launch control which you can tailor on the fly, serves as a shift light, can record 0-60 and 1/4 mile times as well as customizable traction control. Not getting into a “mine is better than yours” rant, just explaining why I went the Cobb route. I’m not really interested in tuning my own car. Don’t have he time, but I’ve been tempted to try Eurodyne due to the great tuners out there on our platform and th great results.
Ya all those things you mentioned were definitely things I was considering but the self tuning part is what did it for me, if I lived were the weather was somewhat stable, and not stupid hot in the summer i might have chose different but with this heat i have to make adjustments. I know eventually ed will have launch control and no lift shift for us mt folk

Status
Not open for further replies.