GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

50k miles valve cleaning exploration time

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
Thanks, that 034 piece looks nice. I've been doing some additional research on this over the last couple of days. I really want to do this myself, it sounds like a good project and I think I'm capable enough to do it.

However, I think it's a good time to replace my water pump / thermostat housing as well, as it has been slowly leaking for the last 10 months or so. As much reading and youtube I've watched, I don't feel confident enough that I can handle that job.

I asked for a quote for both services from a local VW/Audi shop that I trust. They said carbon cleaning is $568, water pump is $700, can do them both at the same time for about $1000. Pricey for sure, sourcing all the parts I'd need to do both jobs myself I came up with the following.

Air compressor with hose/accessories, media blaster, walnut shells, shop vacuum, picks/tools - ~$300 (harbor freight, with coupons)
Bimmerhelp VW/Audi vacuum attachment and hose - $70
Waterpump / Thermostat kit - $226
G13 coolant - $20
Intake manifold gasket - $20

So roughly $600 for all the parts and tools for me to do it myself. Granted things like the air compressor and shop vac would be investments, but otherwise I'm only looking at about a $400 difference to have it all professionally done. I'd love to do it myself, it would of course be cheaper, a fun project, and give me something to do while stuck at home. But the challenge of the water pump is really driving me towards leaving it to the pros. Along with the risk of me screwing something up with the valve cleaning, or just not doing a good enough job.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Thanks, that 034 piece looks nice. I've been doing some additional research on this over the last couple of days. I really want to do this myself, it sounds like a good project and I think I'm capable enough to do it.

However, I think it's a good time to replace my water pump / thermostat housing as well, as it has been slowly leaking for the last 10 months or so. As much reading and youtube I've watched, I don't feel confident enough that I can handle that job.

I asked for a quote for both services from a local VW/Audi shop that I trust. They said carbon cleaning is $568, water pump is $700, can do them both at the same time for about $1000. Pricey for sure, sourcing all the parts I'd need to do both jobs myself I came up with the following.

Air compressor with hose/accessories, media blaster, walnut shells, shop vacuum, picks/tools - ~$300 (harbor freight, with coupons)
Bimmerhelp VW/Audi vacuum attachment and hose - $70
Waterpump / Thermostat kit - $226
G13 coolant - $20
Intake manifold gasket - $20

So roughly $600 for all the parts and tools for me to do it myself. Granted things like the air compressor and shop vac would be investments, but otherwise I'm only looking at about a $400 difference to have it all professionally done. I'd love to do it myself, it would of course be cheaper, a fun project, and give me something to do while stuck at home. But the challenge of the water pump is really driving me towards leaving it to the pros. Along with the risk of me screwing something up with the valve cleaning, or just not doing a good enough job.

If you don't have the absolute confidence to do it I would have them do it. Not saying that you aren't capable but it is a big job. And you would have an air compressor and shop vac for other projects. Tough decision.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
thanks guys. yesterday I almost convinced myself to just get it scheduled at the shop, and today I'm completely turned around and motivated to do it myself lol. I'll sleep on it another night and make a decision tomorrow....maybe.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
thanks guys. yesterday I almost convinced myself to just get it scheduled at the shop, and today I'm completely turned around and motivated to do it myself lol. I'll sleep on it another night and make a decision tomorrow....maybe.

Or you could just drive to "de plains" Diggs24 said he would do it. ?

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
thankfully, yes, my job security is as good as it gets.

Good , I'm happy for you and my job is also but it's painful to see so many people hurting. Part of the reason I chose to deliver pharmacy was because it's an industry that isn't affected by economic issues but I can't help but feeling guilty.

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
Good , I'm happy for you and my job is also but it's painful to see so many people hurting. Part of the reason I chose to deliver pharmacy was because it's an industry that isn't affected by economic issues but I can't help but feeling guilty.

I'm in medical and defense manufacturing so I'm still working. I can't do my job from home due to arcane workmen's compensation laws, and I'll never get paid to sit at home. There is always work. I don't feel guilty at all. My job is the only stable thing right now in a family full of change. Hazard pay? Never happen.