GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

500+ whp GTI

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
It hooked right up without any wheel spin or chirp. Did it on the highway, roughly around 30 minutes ago, and 3rd at 4k rpms had me around 62 - 63 mph, floored it and she took right off without any issues.. Even tried it in 4th gear, which put me over 70 mph, floored it and she took right off.

awesome, thanks! that's great news.

how do you like the COBB/Ed traction control for 2nd and 1st gear?

still super interesting to me that some guys with fairly sticky street tires (ie: MP4s) seem to hookup 450-500whp on the street in fwd MK7 no problem and other guys (like Diggs) spin like crazy through third

Last edited:

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
awesome, thanks! that's great news.

how do you like the COBB/Ed traction control for 2nd and 1st gear?

still super interesting to me that some guys with fairly sticky street tires (ie: MP4s) seem to hookup 450-500whp on the street in fwd MK7 no problem and other guys (like Diggs) spin like crazy through third

I have yet to floor it from a dig.

It all comes down to 3 things and I will list them from top priority, down:
1. Your tuner/tune
2. Tires
3. Suspension mods including engine mounts

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Mine has no power cut out in 3rd. Eurodyne has no spark reduction capability.

NT-05s. I have to really heat them up to get traction.

No LSD, stock mounts, stock suspension. I think upgrading these 3 would help some. I haven't decided how much I really care. I only really drive once or twice a week now since I WFH, and that's really only to get out of the house so I don't go crazy.

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
I have yet to floor it from a dig.

It all comes down to 3 things and I will list them from top priority, down:
1. Your tuner/tune
2. Tires
3. Suspension mods including engine mounts

agreed. Hopefully you get a chance to take this to the drag strip and test out that COBB traction control too! i am going to bet $4 and a sandwich the trap speeds will be pretty awesome

will be interesting to see how my car behaves when add another maybe 20whp from current 460whp. right now 3rd gear dead hooks cleanly. No LSD, fairly worn michelin ps4s tires, shitty 034 motorsports mounts and stock suspension, EQT tune.

I will be installing the superpro front control arm bushings as well

Last edited:

JerseyDrew77

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 TR GTI S 6MT
agreed. Hopefully you get a chance to take this to the drag strip and test out that COBB traction control too! i am going to bet $4 and a sandwich the trap speeds will be pretty awesome

will be interesting to see how my car behaves when add another maybe 20whp from current 460whp. right now 3rd gear dead hooks cleanly. No LSD, fairly worn michelin ps4s tires, shitty BFI mounts and stock suspension, EQT tune.

I think I will wait till I have all the parts to build my block before I take it to the 1/4 mile strip, you know, just in case. I have already started purchasing the parts so I should have everything that I would need by September/October time frame.

I also don't have an LSD on my car.

PowerDemon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Golf GTI, Camaro ZL1
Mine has no power cut out in 3rd. Eurodyne has no spark reduction capability.

NT-05s. I have to really heat them up to get traction.

No LSD, stock mounts, stock suspension. I think upgrading these 3 would help some. I haven't decided how much I really care. I only really drive once or twice a week now since I WFH, and that's really only to get out of the house so I don't go crazy.

will be interesting to see how my car behaves when add another maybe 20whp from current 460whp. right now 3rd gear dead hooks cleanly. No LSD, fairly worn michelin ps4s tires, shitty BFI mounts and stock suspension, EQT tune.

I really think upgraded engine/trans mounts helps with traction. I dead hook in third as well. It spins a bit in second above 5k but not too badly.

MSH

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
'20 M2 Competition
...shitty BFI mounts....

1st I have heard of someone complaining about BFI's on the mk7s. What's the issue curiously? I just installed stage 1s over weekend since they have been long overdue with my EQT E40 IS38 tune and preparing for Vortex.

daconchslop

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
ACS SE/Tech
He’s just likely had them for many miles and they are in need of fresh inserts. BFI + Shitty mounts, does not compute.

Reactions: MSH

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
1st I have heard of someone complaining about BFI's on the mk7s. What's the issue curiously? I just installed stage 1s over weekend since they have been long overdue with my EQT E40 IS38 tune and preparing for Vortex.

yeah, sorry that was a typo mistake.

should have read "shitty 034 motorsports mounts"

I should have paid up and got the BFI mounts but I didn't. was a mistake. these 034 mounts are barely stronger than stock and I noticed almost no improvement from stock after install. for the work and time I should have just got the BFI mounts but this is my only car and daily driver so wanted to keep it civil.

I'm going to try out the 034 metal upper/lower dog bone mounts though, and super pro control arms, and see if that helps. Given I hate everything I have bought from 034 so far i will probably regret it but cheap and easy to test it.

Last edited:
Reactions: MSH

billbadass

Drag Racing Champion
I think I will wait till I have all the parts to build my block before I take it to the 1/4 mile strip, you know, just in case. I have already started purchasing the parts so I should have everything that I would need by September/October time frame.

I also don't have an LSD on my car.

I hear you. Good to have the back up parts ready but I really think you'll be fine personally as long as keep good E85 gas in it. I know ed has been pushing >600whp through his motor for a long time at the track. E85 really is god's gift for these cars, and any car pushing stock block. I have seen guys make >800whp on weak stock LS3 motors and torture them with with 1/2 mile pulls to 175+ mph. pretty hard to detonate a car on full E85 if done by a good tuner and assuming nothing really weird happens

Diggs24

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
Detonation is not the issue, it's weak piston rings and rods not handling the torque. It's a good idea to have it built so you don't have to hone the block or heaven forbid a rod eject itself through it, piston slams into head, ruining that as well. Cheaper to use your own block then have to source another full engine.