GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

5 miles to empty. How Many Miles left?.

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
Hi Guys,

For the first time, I have let my Golf run down to nearly empty. Showing 5 miles till empty. How many miles will the reserve tank last?. I have a further 26 miles to travel, should I risk it?

Thanks in advance,

Rappy :cool:

djust

Ready to race!
I have ran mine down to that twice, I figure its good for another 20 maybe, risk it and let us know. LOL

Tk_mkv1

Go Kart Champion
not worth the risk, I did that in my old Honda when fuel light went on, drove 30 more miles, because I was driving from New York to DC, it ran out of gas about 2 miles from home so I had to push the car to nearest gas station for good 15 minutes.

matstand

Passed Driver's Ed
it all depends.... I regularly play diesel roulette. but I would only chance it if you are changing your style of driving and road types. ie. If you've been bombing around country roads all day and the range says 20 miles, you'll probably get 40-50 on the motorway. but if it is similar driving you wont get 26 miles out of your tank. this is why the car has an Eco setting :)

I've managed several miles on zero range, and it appeared to have a litre left in the car when I filled up.

Have a go and let us know how you get on...

jjm51

Ready to race!
i've gotten to 20?, or so miles past 0 on my mk6 gti.

i do not recommend this for many reasons. i have heard that besides the obvious common-sense stuff, that it's also not good for the engine to run-out of gas? not sure if that part is true. maybe somebody who knows more could comment on that. the mk7 gas tank is smaller right? also, not sure if that has a effect on what you might get.

i'm curious too how far you go though, if you try it. :D

be safe.

PGT

Ready to race!
An easy way to know is to run to zero, then fill the tank. I was close this morning and only was able to fit 12.5gal meaning there's a 2gal buffer (40 miles minimum).

Jens0n

Go Kart Newbie
Rappy, looks like a common request for you to be the guinea pig!

let us know how you get on ?

=)

J

dr_mat

Go Kart Champion
And try not to be on boost when the fuel pressure drops in the lines, you might blow the side of the block off. :)

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
So.....sitting at the roadside, awaiting recovery.

No, only joking:D:D.

I bottled it, and filled up. Car was still showing 5 miles. So I filled up & there was still 3 litres left.

Estimate, I could of got 25-30 more miles. Far to close to call.

Rappy :cool:

alpha3

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2014 CSG 2014 GTI
It's not good to let the fuel tank run that low - the fuel pump relies on gas to keep it cool. I didn't know that but I burned out two pumps on my VW Fox and the mechanic told me that frequently 'running on fumes' does have an effect.

Cossieian

Passed Driver's Ed
I just filled up after car said 5 miles to empty, I could only manage to fit 43 litres of fuel in, so theoretically there should still of been 7 litres left in the tank, enough for about 50 miles I think