GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

5 miles to empty. How Many Miles left?.

GeoBog

Ready to race!
From what I've seen, the GTI tank is about 53-54 litres even if it's advertised at 50. Usually this is valid for most cars.

I've only got down to 0 once and I was able to drive another 8-10 miles to the nearest Shell to fill up and I managed to put 52 litres so I am guessing I had about 1 litre left at that point which probably would've gotten me another 10 miles. Usually when the light comes on, the MFD states I've got 30 miles range left and to my calculations there are aprox. 5 litres left in the tank.

goodman312

Passed Driver's Ed
A guy tested by running his car to empty on the Vortex forum. Short answer is about 45 miles after the 0 miles remaining was displayed, 75 miles after the low fuel light is first displayed. The consensus seemed to be about 2.5 gallons remained when the low fuel light comes on. The folks guessing 40 miles after 0 in this thread seemed to be very close. All the details here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...en-low-fuel-light-comes-on&highlight=low+fuel

Matt Goodman
Columbus OH US

PGT

Ready to race!
great info...thanks. I'm 17 miles from home while at the office and there's a Costco near home. Good to know I don't need to roll into the overpriced Sunoco by work and put $6 in to make it home and fill up for less at Costco.

MOzGTD

Ready to race!
I always fill up when there's plenty of fuel left (relatively) as I've been told told running any vehicle on the dregs in the fuel tank is potentially disastrous for the engine. If it hits the red, I fill up.

rapport25

Go Kart Champion
I always fill up when there's plenty of fuel left (relatively) as I've been told told running any vehicle on the dregs in the fuel tank is potentially disastrous for the engine. If it hits the red, I fill up.

X2. My usual filling station was out of diesel, hence running it so low :eek::eek:

brokenarms

Passed Driver's Ed
I had an old diesel years ago. If it ran out, the fuel system needed to be bleed to purge the air out of it.

Is this no longer the case in new cars?

GeoBog

Ready to race!
I had an old diesel years ago. If it ran out, the fuel system needed to be bleed to purge the air out of it.

Is this no longer the case in new cars?

I had a similar system on my 2007 Megane. It had like a rubber bubble thingy on the fuel line that comes from the tank towards the fuel filter. It had to be squeezed a few times to drag fuel from the tank to fill up the circuit back to the fuel filter and up to the injection pump, basically it had a one way valve inside. I never ran out of fuel so the only times I've used the squeezy thing was when replacing the fuel filter. I know other brands of cars such as Opel or Ford use the same system.

As far as I have checked on my GTI, I couldn't see anything like this so I assume it's more clever and has some sort of electronic for this.

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM
On my MkIV TDI, I get 100 miles from fuel warning light coming on. Checked it twice with 10 ltr tin in car. Took a few cranking cycles to self bleed system - crank a few seconds, wait, and repeat. Regularly go 70 - 80 miles after warning light, but only ran dry twice. Don't think it will harm car. Tank is supposed to be 55 ltrs, with 7 ltrs in reserve, and often fill tank with 61 ltrs. Also depress air vent in filler neck to make sure tank is full of fuel and not air. Drive off carefully so that fuel doesn't slop out of the air vent - apparently pisses off motorcycles who don't like skidding on diesel patches - but then they never obey the speed limits anyway!!

MOzGTD

Ready to race!
One - I take offence at your lack of respect for motorcycle riders. If you did spill would you report it to the garage or are you happy for others to be put at risk due to your carelessness or selfishness? Are you saying you never ever speed?

Secondly, why bother running it so low anyway. It doesn't cost more to fail up a little earlier and not risk damaging your fuel system or engine.

MOzGTD

Ready to race!
One - I take offence at your lack of respect for motorcycle riders. If you did spill would you report it to the garage or are you happy for others to be put at risk due to your carelessness or selfishness? Are you saying you never ever speed?

Secondly, why bother running it so low anyway. It doesn't cost more to fail up a little earlier and not risk damaging your fuel system or engine.

ColinStone

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MKVII 2016 Match BM

Well, I've always been passed by mcs in built up areas and single carriage way roads at well over the speed limit. Seems on 2 wheels speed limits are optional?

1 - hence drive away carefully! Certainly not in built up areas, up to 10% elsewhere, except completely unrestricted autobahns.

2 - it costs more if you are heading to Luxembourg where diesel is 78p ltr!

Liland

Ready to race!
I had the display saying 0 km a few days ago (couldnt find any gas stations [emoji14]) so when i filled her up i filled 52.8 Liters, so i gyess the tank is 55L ?