GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

40k mile and 3 year services

stm25rs

Car is a 2018 GTI Autobahn, DSG. Car is about to hit 40k miles, plus it's closing in on 3 years, so getting a double whammy of service points.

The 40k items are:
Oil and Filter
DSG Fluid and Filter
Rotate Tires
Spark Plugs
Clean + Grease Sunroof
Cabin filter was done at 24 months

The 3 year items:
Front Diff Fluid (VAQ LSD)
Brake Fluid

I got a quote from a local independent Euro/VW/Audi/BMW shop.....~$1400!! I haven't used this shop before, but lots of good reviews here and other VW forums, though particularly for tuning/mod services, not as much mention of maintenance services.

Previously I've taken this GTI to the dealer for the 10k oil and tire rotation services, and previous cars (Subaru and Acura) I took to a different local (non-Euro specific) mechanic that I was always happy with.

The DSG service alone is quoted at $350 for the parts kit plus $238 for labor (2 hours), so $588 total.

Can anybody give me an idea of a fair price for all of this?

I'll be checking with the dealer and the other local shop in the meantime.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
You can hold off on the sparkplugs for a bit longer if you need to...

That DSG price is crazy though, shop somewhere else.... Not even the dealership will charge that much.... it should be max ~$300 (Parts and labor included)

stm25rs

I'll only have this car for another 2 years or 40k miles, whichever comes first. I work in sales and get a monthly vehicle stipend plus mileage reimbursement, but car has to be newer than 5 years, and less than 80k miles. That's why I figure I may as well just do some of this stuff slightly early and have it all freshy fresh while I'm still driving it.

Just spoke with the local independent that I've gone to for other cars, and they were just over half that price for everything. They quoted DSG service at ~$300 for parts and labor.

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
I have 2017 gti autobahn with the dsg and just hit over 40k all the quotes ive got from dealers and independent shops have been between 750-1k for everything you mentioned. The one shop I've been looking at uses liqui moly for oil and motul rb600 for brake fluid. And got a quote right in the middle what I've been seeing.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
After swapping the brake fluid, you’ll now either

a) have to swap every two years from now on. Regardless of mileage

or

b) you can also include a new brake fluid cap and go 3 years before swapping brake oil again

Oscar LaVista

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE 6MT
After swapping the brake fluid, you’ll now either

a) have to swap every two years from now on. Regardless of mileage

or

b) you can also include a new brake fluid cap and go 3 years before swapping brake oil again

Please explain. Thanks.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
yup, thanks! I figured that must be it, but have never heard that suggestion. Is it an official VW thing?
no. its with every car. dunno about exotic vehicles and anything i wouldnt be able to afford though lol. but cheap stuff i can afford, definitely.

chillax

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE plaid
Car is a 2018 GTI Autobahn, DSG. Car is about to hit 40k miles, plus it's closing in on 3 years, so getting a double whammy of service points.

The 3 year items:
Front Diff Fluid (VAQ LSD)

Why is it my local VW dealer says my car does not need this service? I had my 40K done last summer (5K early) and they did not have a clue as to what I was referring to.

Oscar LaVista

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI SE 6MT
The diff fluid is due every 3 years, not by miles, so depending on when you bought it, maybe you weren’t due. If they didn’t know there is such a thing, that’d be standard service writer incompetence, I reckon. Mine told me I was overdue at barely over 2 years.

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
Why is it my local VW dealer says my car does not need this service? I had my 40K done last summer (5K early) and they did not have a clue as to what I was referring to.
Your dealer doesn’t seem to be up to date with that maintenance protocol. Used to be that dealers would say it never needed to be done, from what I’ve read on here

Javwohl

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 Carbon Steel
A big reason Why the dealers don't see is because in america its not in the recommended maintenance schedual you have to look on borg warners website to get when they recommend it