GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

40k DSG Service shops

nestid

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
Hey y'all

40k miles is coming up for me and I was calling around for quotes on the transmission service. This is what I have so far

University VW: $500 after tax
AchTuning: $575 after tax
Carter VW: $530 after tax

I've seen posts where people said they paid $375 but I was wondering if these prices were normal for the Seattle area? Any shop recs that may possibly be cheaper?

murph3699

Go Kart Newbie
I'm in Mass and paid $330 today with Liquimoly at an independent Audi/VW shop. I know its not Seattle but it ain't like the Boston area is a cheap place to operate

ZimmLR

Ready to race!
Car(s)
MK7 GTI
The prices you were quoted are significantly less than what I paid for my 40k service at Chaplins (when they were still associated with Volkswagen). You can continue to shop around but ultimately it might be more efficient to just bite the bullet and go with University VW.

glitronic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI AutobahnDSG
I got DSG service and PP VAQ diff service done at Stone's German Garage in Ballard in Nov 2021 for $655 (incl WA 10% sales tax).
https://stonesgermangarage.com/

I didn't get quotes for just the DSG service, but I did get a few quotes for the full "40K service" from some dealers that were usually around $1000 (and didn't include the diff service). The 40K service mostly includes checking a lot of things, an oil change, and spark plugs which I can do myself.

The differential fluid service interval should be 3 yrs / 30k miles, but people say it's not an official VW service recommendation in order to keep the official "cost of ownership" down. If you drive your car hard and/or want to keep it long-term, I'd definitely recommend doing the diff service. I'm not keeping my car long-term, but I do autocross it, so I went ahead and did it anyway. It's not as involved as the DSG service, but it makes sense to do them both at the same time. (I also did both at the same time myself on my previous MK7 GTI and saved a few hundred bucks but opted to have a shop do it this time, as I no longer had the specialty tools, Cobb AP to monitor temp, a lift, or time).

https://www.shopdap.com/blog/post/service-schedule-for-mk7-5-gti-2018-2019.html

Black&WhiteGTI

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
'16 GTI '92 Miata
This might need to go into the stupid questions thread but You seem knowledgeable lol.

I got my GTI serviced yesterday for the 60k DSG service. As far as I know it should be the first service my car had. I have the pre facelift 6 speed.

But I have some questions..

Preface: I live in a very hilly area I know these transmissions learn your driving style and changes its behavior based on that. I also know that when you get the maintenance done, at the end you have to reset whatever transmission module, which resets everything that the car has learned about your driving.

Questions: I really enjoyed how the car would use a very strong engine break. How do I reteach the car to do that?

Does down shifting a gear really make that much of a difference in engine breaking? There is a very steep and long hill that I drive on. Would it make more sense to let the car do its thing at 2k rpm or do I take over and hold it around 2500 - 3000 rpm for optimal engine breaking?

Lastly.. I have never heard the dsg ‘fart’ on upshifts.. like ever. I think I heard it once on the highway, but I think I had the throttle pinned on the kick down button. Would you only hear it under full throttle acceleration?

P.S. I only paid $370 for the filters, seals, and fluids to be replaced at a 5 star diamond VW dealer here (before tax I believe).