GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3G shutdowns and emergency systems

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Pretty much all carriers are dropping 3G this year, which makes tons of car systems obsolete (such as the emergency dialing services). Does anyone know if this impacts the systems in our cars and if there's a TSB for update? I've gotten two notes from the dealer for our audi to bring it in and get it updated to a 4G module, but I haven't gotten anything from VW. I'd expect they're pretty similar on the radios they're using to interface, so I'm assuming the vw unit is also not 4G capable.

rye0pa

Go Kart Newbie
I seen a similar message. It said that the hardware needed for the update would not be available until late 2022.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Why pay for something I don't want anyway?
... Then you really don't have to worry about it :).

The auto-emergency-dial service is nice in case you're in an accident where you're unconscious. That's the only thing I care about. My wife drives the car all the time, so it's an added peace of mind thing

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
... Then you really don't have to worry about it :).

The auto-emergency-dial service is nice in case you're in an accident where you're unconscious. That's the only thing I care about. My wife drives the car all the time, so it's an added peace of mind thing
Google has that built into Android for Pixel phones now and soon for other Android phones. Apple is working on it also to be introduced next year.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Google has that built into Android for Pixel phones now and soon for other Android phones. Apple is working on it also to be introduced next year.

Sure, but as an owner of products from both companies, I don't have faith either will live two years before being axed or being merged into some subscription product that sucks.

On the other hand, vw is letting me down here, too. Lol.

builtospill

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I got a letter from VWoA saying they are going to replace the telematics module, but because of the chip shortage the upgrade is not available yet. Got the letter in mail few weeks ago.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Sure, but as an owner of products from both companies, I don't have faith either will live two years before being axed or being merged into some subscription product that sucks.

On the other hand, vw is letting me down here, too. Lol.
You expect indefinite support?

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
You expect indefinite support?
Not indefinite, but reasonable. Buying a vehicle in 2016 and having lack of update 1 yr after a standard car loan length seems a bit on the unreasonable end. I know a lot of people consider cars as disposable 3 year things, but if they sell a vehicle with certain features, how long would you expect to reasonably have those features? What if they decide to drop support and disable your stereo?

Google has killed products they've developed in the same year in some cases. They're not a company to use as a support benchmark by any means. Apple is better at support, but their solutions can sometimes be "buy a new one" when you're one gen behind, even when that product is a year old. I don't consider this reasonable.

It'll all be even more fun in a few years when you need a subscription to turn on your seat heaters and put the car into sport mode, lol.

FSTSNAL

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 DVP Spektrum R
Not indefinite, but reasonable. Buying a vehicle in 2016 and having lack of update 1 yr after a standard car loan length seems a bit on the unreasonable end. I know a lot of people consider cars as disposable 3 year things, but if they sell a vehicle with certain features, how long would you expect to reasonably have those features? What if they decide to drop support and disable your stereo?

Google has killed products they've developed in the same year in some cases. They're not a company to use as a support benchmark by any means. Apple is better at support, but their solutions can sometimes be "buy a new one" when you're one gen behind, even when that product is a year old. I don't consider this reasonable.

It'll all be even more fun in a few years when you need a subscription to turn on your seat heaters and put the car into sport mode, lol.
My bigger issue is why in the last 10 years or so would a car manufacturer install 3g equipment in a car.

KevinC

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'19 Golf R, '21 M2c
Hard pass from me on any 4g "upgrade" to keep my car online. VW's services require a paid (and very overpriced) subscription anyways, and there's nothing it does that my cellphone can't do. Realtime traffic info comes over SiriusXM so that's not affected. All you're getting without a Car-Net subscription is VW tracking you and selling who-knows-what info to whomever wants it. No thanks. Already too much of that going on.

victorofhavoc

Autocross Champion
Hard pass from me on any 4g "upgrade" to keep my car online. VW's services require a paid (and very overpriced) subscription anyways, and there's nothing it does that my cellphone can't do. Realtime traffic info comes over SiriusXM so that's not affected. All you're getting without a Car-Net subscription is VW tracking you and selling who-knows-what info to whomever wants it. No thanks. Already too much of that going on.
The auto dial service during a crash is active even when you're not paying into the subscription from what I've been told. It did trip accidentally on me once (hit a pothole REALLLLLY hard on coils with metal topmounts) and some lady started talking to me out of nowhere. 😅