GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3D Printer & C.A.D. Thread

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
I still have the baby monitor which is a Eufy security cam that integrates into my HomeKit app. Mounted it on a light stand that I use for photography. Decided to use a smart switch and plug the printer into it incase I need to shut it down when I’m not home.

3B488F4D-5395-4F0E-82C3-D5412FADC492.jpeg

318FD936-4BDA-4D7D-B7C8-B66C3F52511B.jpeg

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
That's a good idea. I'm debating about using an old android phone as a camera. I don't usually do unattended prints but I've been getting braver since I updated my Ender 3 and I'm going to try and do a 30hr print soon.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I've been doing 24+ hour prints since day one :ROFLMAO:

Generally the first couple layers are the most nerve wreaking. If those stick the bed, don't show issues otherwise, the rest of the print is generally okay. If I'm printing anything with big overhangs I like I check back around the time I think the printer will be about there.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
I’m not ready for a 30 hour print. I get worried over like 4 hours.

My 2nd PETG print came out looking good. Has a spot where something went a little funny. It happened on the 1st print as well so might be in the CAD file. It’s about where it starts to transition to a larger size.

E6C5C1C5-EB5F-43DF-A704-8545C69B6327.jpeg

Made a sandpaper holder and it’s gonna be an 8 or so hour print which is making me nervous. Idk how dtfd was coming out the gate with the long prints lol

2517B071-AD2C-4FC3-BB6F-82111EF73B33.jpeg

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Always good to check the CAD file. The other day I was trying to print a sponge holder I designed. As it was a 1/4 of the way in, I noticed one of the dividers looked really floppy. Stopped the print and inspected it. It looked like it didn't attach at all to the other walls. Checked my CAD and zoomed in, sure enough, I hadn't attached it to the other walls. I "thought" I had but somehow I had dropped the ball on that one. DOH!

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
First TPU piece. Custom designed corner cover for a shelving unit.

82DB85C1-D760-4B4F-8D00-FF15775CBD10.jpeg

Super slow print at 25mm/sec but prints nicely. Had to reduce the tension on the feed to almost nothing to keep it from jamming.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I was just thinking about this. What have you guys been printing/how fast are your printers? That you're only printing 4-6 hour projects?

I feel like most things I print take at least 12 hours. The project I'm currently working on now is a drawer system with different variations of drawers. Each one of the grey cubbies took 17ish hours, the drawers themselves took close to 15 depending on the amount of dividers inside.

20230123_224753.jpg

Last edited:

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I was just thinking about this. What have you guys been printing/how fast are your printers? That you're only printing 4-6 hour projects?

I feel like most things I print take at least 12 hours. The project I'm currently working on now is a drawer system with different variations of drawers. Each one of the grey cubbies took 17ish hours, the drawers themselves took close to 15 depending on the amount of dividers inside.

View attachment 271145
Typical Bosnian printer.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car

View attachment 271145

For speed, I can do a standard Benchy boat in 58min.

In theory it’ll be faster once I get the harmonics tuned with the sonic pad. Printed a new g-sensor/accelerometer mount aster adding a triangular brace to improve strength. Also my melt-in threaded inserts arrived making it easy to add solid threads to my projects.

Last edited:

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude

View attachment 271145

I have only printed smaller items. I have pushed my print speed to 75mm/sec for test pieces or parts that don’t need a nice finish. Typically I stay around 50mm/sec. I have also tried bigger nozzles .6 and .8 so I could get prints done faster.

That is a nice looking drawer system. I’d definitely keep the speed lower to get a nicer finish and better fit.