Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk6 GTI
That's a funny looking buttplug

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
Thread needs more pics of completed projects. I still don't know wtf these are used for aside for making small toys for kids.

Ok boomer 😂
How about this print I just finished?

20230109_090645_resized.jpg

What is it? Well it's the second half of the female side of the mold for a brake lever. Combined with the other 2 prints it makes a 3 part mold.

20230109_090930_resized.jpg

Next steps are to sand down the layer lines, combine the two female mold halves, apply a mold release wax, and then a few coats of PLA. After that's done I'll measure out my carbon tow and mix up the appropriate amount of epoxy and shove that in there. Then I'll use the male mold and some clamps to apply slow even pressure to the whole thing. If the PVA and release wax do their job it should all come apart and then it's just a matter of the sanding/drilling/clearcoat.

When I'm done it should look something like this.

1673283138996.png

mwoodski

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
17 Golf SW 4mo
Thread needs more pics of completed projects. I still don't know wtf these are used for aside for making small toys for kids.

Ok boomer 😂
making parts for lightweight (1-12lb) combat robots

this is a dominant 3lb'er and nearly everything chassis and wheel wise is printed.

1673296168526.png

i need to learn cad

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
If you’re new to the hobby like me or a veteran stop on in for questions, concerns, troubleshooting whatever.
Thanks for making the thread! (y)

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
I'm not familiar with printing, but I'm a CAD operator full time for work... I'd love to get into printing stuff.

This is your calling man!!

I took CAD in tech school and really enjoyed it. Sometimes I wish I had chosen it as a career but went the electronics route.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
How about this print I just finished?

View attachment 269836

What is it? Well it's the second half of the female side of the mold for a brake lever. Combined with the other 2 prints it makes a 3 part mold.

View attachment 269837

Next steps are to sand down the layer lines, combine the two female mold halves, apply a mold release wax, and then a few coats of PLA. After that's done I'll measure out my carbon tow and mix up the appropriate amount of epoxy and shove that in there. Then I'll use the male mold and some clamps to apply slow even pressure to the whole thing. If the PVA and release wax do their job it should all come apart and then it's just a matter of the sanding/drilling/clearcoat.

When I'm done it should look something like this.

View attachment 269839

I never thought about making molds. 🤔 now I need something to mold.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
My first custom part. Not super exciting but converts a metric hose size down to a standard size. Need to make a few more.

4C10C795-3AAA-424B-A1C9-7269FB0FDE21.jpeg

Waiting on larger nozzles to arrive to try and print it.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude

Ok boomer 😂

There are these cool little containers for nuts and such. They use bottle caps.
I’m going to make a few with every color I get.
DFB41B48-95E8-422C-A19B-DDEEBCE74802.jpeg

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R

Ok boomer 😂

I feel that's 99% of all 3D printed things. Just useless little doodads.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
RAM ball that mounts to the star nut on an old MTB we use as a stationary. Then a holder from r phone/tablet.

D17564BF-B25C-4C50-ABFA-D8CFEF579BD6.jpeg