GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3D Printer & C.A.D. Thread

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
My WiFi chip came in so I attempted to put that in my Neptune 2S. For some reason I can’t get it to see the new firmware that I put on the SD card. Ran into a few roadblocks with my 2011 MacBook being old AF so I tried it on my barebones Dell that I bought 4 years ago. Can’t get the printer to see the file even tho it’s the only thing on the SD card. Reformatted the card a dozen times on both the MAC and Dell and it won’t see the firmware. I can only format FAT32 on a 32GB or larger card on the Mac but the printer won’t accept a card bigger then 8GB (so they say I’m still going to try a larger one). So I formatted it on the Dell and it made no difference. Was going to buy a fresh card and try it again. Printer still works even tho when you go to the about section it has a ? For firmware.

Finally sat down and went through some videos on learning a proper CAD program. I want to learn Fushion 360 but my computer won’t work with the latest version so I learned Onshape which is a web based program. Not as easy as Tinkercad but has features that make doing certain things a lot easier than in Tinkercad. I was struggling to make a gasket for a small acrylic window in Tinkercad that was so much easier once I figured out all the controls in Onshape.

2F6A048B-D699-4606-903B-DCC647244652.jpeg

4BC5F57B-A0E8-4FDF-907F-7AA8386AD2E6.jpeg

D27ACEF3-0468-4513-80EE-C8F5D001E028.jpeg

It’s still a little on the firm side so I’m concerned it will leak. I’ll try it out tomorrow when I get back to work. I really want to print it with Ninjaflex but that shit is expensive.

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
Not sure on the Neptune but on my Ender 3 v1 I'm currently using a Toshiba 16GB card with no issues. I've also used a ScanDisk 32GB card in the past without issues.

NoGodGetOverIt

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI SE/DSG
Not sure on the Neptune but on my Ender 3 v1 I'm currently using a Toshiba 16GB card with no issues. I've also used a ScanDisk 32GB card in the past without issues.
Did you still have to partition them to 8GB?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude

The Neptune is an Ender 3 clone so probably not an issue then.

I even erased, formatted and copied over the original files that came on the printer and it still didn’t transfer when I powered it up. The printer is supposed to say “booting” and take a min but mine just goes to the Home Screen after a loading bar finishes in a few seconds. Idk if I need to erase the main board first.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
IIRC when I formatted my SD to use in my ender, I had to change a couple of the settings for it to be seen. It was something to wirh allocation size?

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I haven't changed the formatting or the partition on the SD cards at all but I forgot to mentioned that I'm upgraded to an SKR Mini E3 v2. It may be that the original mobo doesn't like anything bigger than 8gb so you might have to partition it down to 8gb and FAT32 but I'm not positive on that. I can swap in my original mobo and test it this weekend if that'll help.

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
I have a ZNP Robin Nano V1.3 if that makes a difference.

I do have a 32GB card that I’m pretty sure I was able to print from. I’ll get another card next time I’m at the store and give it a try.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
#onlyusefulstuff

Hooks for stuff
View attachment 274664

Hooks for little stuff
View attachment 274665

Play-doh toy broke. Made new piece.
View attachment 274666
View attachment 274667

Piece 1 of 4 for a shoe rack. Need to get lumber to finish it.

View attachment 274668

Mailbox numbers. First time printing with ASA. Went smooth.
View attachment 274669

New clips that got bent for a panel that covers my breaker box.
View attachment 274670

Small bin and SD card/USB holder.
View attachment 274671
Oh man. Could use some barbie house pillars 🤣.

I'm actually serious

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
I have a ZNP Robin Nano V1.3 if that makes a difference.

I do have a 32GB card that I’m pretty sure I was able to print from. I’ll get another card next time I’m at the store and give it a try.
So I tested my original Ender3 mobo and it can read the 16GB card and the 32GB without issues. Only other things I can think of is to make sure the BIN file is on the root of SD card. Make sure there's nothing else on that SD card besides the BIN file. This was an issue with my Ender 3 so maybe the same with yours?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
By root you mean not in a folder it’s the first thing you see when you click on the SD card to see what’s in it?

The instal instructions said to add the BIN file and Txt file with the modified line items. Also after I put the card into the printer and it doesn’t boot when I open the SD card again on my computer it has changed the BIN file to a CURA file (I think that’s what it was)

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Oh man. Could use some barbie house pillars 🤣.

I'm actually serious

Post some measurements and pillars could possibly be made.

AzteCypher

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
Mk7 Golf R
By root you mean not in a folder it’s the first thing you see when you click on the SD card to see what’s in it?

The instal instructions said to add the BIN file and Txt file with the modified line items. Also after I put the card into the printer and it doesn’t boot when I open the SD card again on my computer it has changed the BIN file to a CURA file (I think that’s what it was)
Correct. Root means not in a folder so the first thing you see when you open up the SD card.

If your BIN file is changing to a CUR file, that usually means the firmware was updated. Maybe some settings are missing for the WiFi?

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
Correct. Root means not in a folder so the first thing you see when you open up the SD card.

If your BIN file is changing to a CUR file, that usually means the firmware was updated. Maybe some settings are missing for the WiFi?

Okay, that’s how I had the file in the SD card.

That’s what I thought from what I was reading but my printer still has a “?” Under firmware. I checked my firmware before doing all this to make sure it was the latest. I have printed 2 things since all of this and it prints fine. The wifi button is suppose to pop up if I did it correctly. I think that comes from the TXT file but that’s separate from the BIN file so idk how it reads it. Maybe my TXT file is missing something.

dtfd

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MK7.5 GTI
I'm still not able to print and I'm running out of ideas on what is causing my issue. I had an issue a couple weeks ago with a "clicking" happening with my extruder. Almost like it was trying to push filament through and it was binding causing the extruder to shoot back into a different position causing a click. At the time I had a big ol jam happen so I took apart my hot end, cleaned everything up, new nozzle, changed the bowden tube, and changed to an all-metal extruder. I didn't change the actual extruder motor, or the brass extruder teeth. I tried doing some prints but kept running into the same issue. I was told to try cranking up the heat and turning down the speed and that worked for a single calibration cube in PLA, but then the issue came back.

This weekend I took it all apart again. Cleaned up the hot end to make sure there wasn't a jam (there wasn't) and replaced the nozzle again. I did notice when I took the orange PLA out the bottom that was in the hot end was MUCH thicker than the rest of the filament. A result of being compressed by the extruder perhaps? You can see the difference from the top to the bottom.

20230319_125112_resized.jpg

After I cleaned it up I put in some black PETG, re-leveled, and tried to test again. When I changed the roll I used counsel commands to push through the new filament through the hot end and it worked without any issue.

Video here:
https://discord.com/channels/1077369234084085780/1077369234084085787/1087398403505397760

Then I tried to print a calibration cube (250C, 50 mm/s infill, 25 mm/s walls) and a minute into the print the click came back:
https://discord.com/channels/1077369234084085780/1077369234084085787/1087398582316970005

I'm out of ideas on what's causing this. Should I replace the extruder motor and teeth since that's the only thing I haven't yet, but it looks like the issue is on the hot side of things. Any idea what's causing this?