GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3D Printed Parts - Fun & Functional

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
I think I'm going to copy ECS's design an bit more and bring it at a more shallow angle and with a straighter edge. I'll see about getting it updated either tonight after work or tomorrow morning and update the thingiverse post as well as bump this thread when I do. I too have a couple projects I'm bouncing between at the moment but this one is starting to take priority

Thank you! Great to see it getting some attention! Didn’t actually think it would lol

WFox93

Passed Driver's Ed
Alrighty guys, I've updated the thingiverse post with two new designs v7 and v7 Alt. I think I'm going to use alt as the my main file. The main v7 change is the angle as I previously discussed. here are a couple snips from Cura to demo the differences between v5 and v7
Grill Scoop v5v7 side view.PNG

Grill Scoop v5v7 front view.PNG

and the Alt version of v7 primarily reduces the top side foot print and give a nut and bolt more plastic to grab. It also reduces the number of bolts used and reduces the number of "grill" slots. A pics of that comparison below.

v7 and Alt front view.PNG

v7 and Alt Side view.PNG

v7 and Alt top view.PNG

Also, I'm not sure I did a very good job of explaining how I imagined this thing to go in. The idea is that you cut a hole, drop only the scoop through and then drill holes for the bolts as seen in the other pictures below.

IMG_20200311_121604.jpgIMG_20200311_121608.jpg

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
well this work on the intake vent has inspired me join in on this stuff. Autodesk provides free access to their products for students so I just downloaded inventor (i have experience using it in HS some) and we have a few 3d printers on my campus :p

Last edited:

WFox93

Passed Driver's Ed
lol nice of you to join the fun. I've been using Fusion360's free student/startup version. It's a little daunting but there's a huge community so most things I need are just a google away

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
I wanna try it but I don’t have access to my schools 3D printer while class is suspended lol

symbiotix

Passed Driver's Ed
Hey guys, has anyone attempted rear spring pads? Like the Audi TT pads or ED pads?? I'm pretty sure ED's are just 3d printed anyway. I figured printed ones would be sweet because you could customize your thickness.

With the border shut down between the US and Canada right now it's a pain in the ass for me to get parts so I was thinking about just printing my own.

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Looked at the JB1/4 mount today, and it would appear my 2019 R has a larger airbox, battery... or both? No WAY that will fit in there, and the ribbing spacing isn't right either. Glad I only printed a couple layers before a test fit :)

I'll work on seeing about redesigning that as I have some time.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Looked at the JB1/4 mount today, and it would appear my 2019 R has a larger airbox, battery... or both? No WAY that will fit in there, and the ribbing spacing isn't right either. Glad I only printed a couple layers before a test fit :)

I'll work on seeing about redesigning that as I have some time.
I have a 19gti and it fit but I have the smaller battery. Is your car auto start/stop? did you test fit it on the air box at the flange?
4A689E70-0A63-43F1-804A-12C1C9D2E4A8.jpeg
D055B7A8-025A-4BDF-BB81-D1C8EBBBF935.jpeg
C54964F2-70FF-4608-AE76-1FB2B5FE4CC3.jpeg

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
Yep my car is auto start/stop (or was...). The plate itself did not fit right to the ribbing on the lid and looked like one of the holes was not quite right. There was physically no way I could stuff that plate down in there if it even would have fit the lid as the positive lead encroached deeply towards the air box.

Just looking at yours, the air box doesn't have the push connector on the left side... so the lids must be slightly different?

I started working on a redesign of it, but I am almost thinking of scrapping it and making a band/clip that goes over the battery and hangs the box on the left side of the battery instead. Not sure just yet...

S-4Motion

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
Golf Sportwagen 4Mo

Gimpster

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2019 VW Golf R
I believe I have a solution for the larger battery cars, its printing now but my prototype fit pretty well. Keep in mind, I'm working with a NPM not a JB1/4, but if this fits up okay I'll just put the sketches up/online for just one thats flat with no "walls". At that point if someone was so inclined, you can just remix it to your needs there. Its a tight fit up against the battery and the positive lead.

I'm just going to use a couple strips of 3M double sided tape for now on the NPM against the bottom, side and back to hold it to the bracket. The NPM is a really smooth metal box, so I thought that might look a little better/discreet than hook and loop straps. We'll see how that works out and if I end up having to use hook and loop.

Attachments

• mp.PNG
    mp.PNG
    70.2 KB · Views: 140
Last edited: