GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3D Printed Parts - Fun & Functional

Engibeering

Now the real question is do you think you can replicate the driver side vent? I'm about to embark on this journey so I can start making my boost gauge mount.

Engibeering

Now the real question is do you think you can replicate the driver side vent? I'm about to embark on this journey so I can start making my boost gauge mount.
UPDATE: I've finally found a few hours to work on it. Bit of a pain since the vent has a lot of different contours and angles but I've got a prototype on the printer that fits atm.

Here's a sneak peek.
1581954080238.png

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
I went with the center drivers side mount from uniwerks. Its 3d printed, but fit and finish was spot on.

Attachments

• 20200209_153635.jpg
    20200209_153635.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 384
  • 20200209_170112.jpg
    20200209_170112.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 369

Eman1

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2018 GTI
Being a big open source nerd I wanted to "crack" an item and make it available for the masses.

I reverse engineered the pedal spacer from some photos and will do some test fits. Once it works I'll release it for anybody to make their own.

Did you manage to get these to work? I was looking around today and was about to start modeling some up myself. If you're close, send me the .ipt from inventor and I can try to tweak it to fit!

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
I went with the center drivers side mount from uniwerks. Its 3d printed, but fit and finish was spot on.

What's the the toggle switches? Ejector seat? Flame thrower?

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Anyone know if there is a mk7.5 front bumper or full CAD model that is open source and accurate? I want to design some exterior components and want my life a little easier :)

NopeR

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 Golf R
At this point you'd be better off scanning it yourself.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
What's the the toggle switches? Ejector seat? Flame thrower?
I have one hooked to the headlight input on the guage to chand it from red to blue. The other one I have wired up to a dead end wire under the dash for future upgrades.

Attachments

• 20200209_203437.jpg
    20200209_203437.jpg
    598.5 KB · Views: 216
  • 20200209_203442.jpg
    20200209_203442.jpg
    764.2 KB · Views: 218

WFox93

Passed Driver's Ed
Oh boy, this is an exciting thread. My printer has been collecting dust for a while. I just had a buddy ask me to print something for him so between that and this thread I think I'm inspired to dust it off and get printing. I had an LG G6 mount I made https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3517327 Based off of this Pixel 2 mount https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2992968

I plan to revamp the same mount again for my Pixel 4 unless someone beat me to it. Then I plan to work on an intake scoop. It probably won't be the prettiest thing in the world but it'll be functional (well that't the idea anyway)

dosjockey

Go Kart Champion
Man didn't want to have to go that route. can't be too cheap

Look around. There are ways to scan things yourself with stuff you have on hand.

With a few measurements and lots of ass pain, you can pull it off if you really want to. Not everything needs to be scanned, anyway; just the applicable areas.

Likewise if most of what you might intend to mount hits mounting areas that can be measured and drawn out. Just a few points recorded in any 3D graph are all you need for many things.

Obviously nobody really wants to do that, but if you just hit a brick wall, it's possible.

If you can find a contract video game or general 3D modeler that's nearby (difficult, likely) on some of those middleman sites (Fiverr is an example), they may have the skill-set to scan or interpret already; and they aren't expensive. I don't bother with drafting everything now; I just go find those guys and have them make things 3D for me. Again, it's all measurement intensive unless they're nearby or know how to interpret your photography for 3D scans.

Is this stuff unrealistic for most people? Yup. Would I do it? Nope. I don't know how bad you want that scan, though.

vulticGTI

Go Kart Newbie
Look around. There are ways to scan things yourself with stuff you have on hand.

With a few measurements and lots of ass pain, you can pull it off if you really want to. Not everything needs to be scanned, anyway; just the applicable areas.

Likewise if most of what you might intend to mount hits mounting areas that can be measured and drawn out. Just a few points recorded in any 3D graph are all you need for many things.

Obviously nobody really wants to do that, but if you just hit a brick wall, it's possible.

If you can find a contract video game or general 3D modeler that's nearby (difficult, likely) on some of those middleman sites (Fiverr is an example), they may have the skill-set to scan or interpret already; and they aren't expensive. I don't bother with drafting everything now; I just go find those guys and have them make things 3D for me. Again, it's all measurement intensive unless they're nearby or know how to interpret your photography for 3D scans.

Is this stuff unrealistic for most people? Yup. Would I do it? Nope. I don't know how bad you want that scan, though.

Yea I mean I can make it a long term project just to have them. I want to avoid measuring and surfacing and all that fun stuff that will take me a long time if I can but maybe I'll do it if I'm bored. Mostly wanted to work on some projects to save money and have some fun custom modifications but it'll most likely be more expensive in the long run haha.