GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3D Printed Parts - Fun & Functional

furntree

Being a big engineering geek I decided to start a compilation of 3D printable parts for our MK7s! Some of these have been floating around but I figured it would be fun to get some of these consolidated in one place.

I will post any applicable feedback for parts I try to print and hope other users will do the same!

As always, use your brain when using 3D printed parts on a car. Recommend using PETG for any item that might be near higher temp areas or for any part which needs extra structural strength. PLA plastic can melt in the car on a hot day!

Do you have a cool 3D Printed GTI part waiting to show to the world? Let us know! :)

Stay safe, stay legal!

Parts List:

JB1/4 Mount for MK7 GTI

Alternate JB1 Mount for MK7 GTI

MK7 Shifter Bushings (please be safe with these)

MK7 Clutch Stop - REVIEW HERE

Universal Phone Dock

Parcel Shelf repair parts

Spare Tire Nut

OBD11 Holder

Walnut Shell Blasting/Carbon Cleaning Adapter

BlackVue Dashcam Mount

Pinch Weld Jack Pucks - Please Use 100% Infill For a Solid Object

COBB AccessPort Mount

Last edited:

MysticBlueX3

Ready to race!
Not 3D printed but some laser cut intake vents =)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

furntree

Not 3D printed but some laser cut intake vents =)

These are cool! Not sure if you would want to release these as creative commons attribution noncommercial or similar, but these would be a great open source item for the community!

Keep up the great work!

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Unfortunately I do not have access to a 3d printer. How much would someone charge me for the jb4 mount? I love the idea!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Jimdog

Passed Driver's Ed
Unfortunately I do not have access to a 3d printer. How much would someone charge me for the jb4 mount? I love the idea!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

I could print it and mail it to you for a reasonable price.

I have an AccessPort mount to add later. I'm the one who designed the shifter bushings. 6 months of abuse so far and they are doing well.

For anyone new to 3D printing. I would only recommend using PETG for car parts. The layer adhesion is better than ABS and it is easier to print. It also doesn't shrink as it cools as much. This makes for a stronger, easier to print, and more dimensionally accurate part that doesn't always have to be printed solid to meet strength requirements so its also lighter, cheaper, and faster to make. Of course you should always print critical parts solid. PETG is also more chemically resistant. Brake cleaner that contains acetone will literally dissolve ABS. I have yet to figure out if any common cleaners do the same to PETG.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I could print it and mail it to you for a reasonable price.

I have an AccessPort mount to add later. I'm the one who designed the shifter bushings. 6 months of abuse so far and they are doing well.

For anyone new to 3D printing. I would only recommend using PETG for car parts. The layer adhesion is better than ABS and it is easier to print. It also doesn't shrink as it cools as much. This makes for a stronger, easier to print, and more dimensionally accurate part that doesn't always have to be printed solid to meet strength requirements so its also lighter, cheaper, and faster to make. Of course you should always print critical parts solid. PETG is also more chemically resistant. Brake cleaner that contains acetone will literally dissolve ABS. I have yet to figure out if any common cleaners do the same to PETG.

Could you PM me a price also? 89145 shipping

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

furntree

I'm the one who designed the shifter bushings. 6 months of abuse so far and they are doing well.

...I would only recommend using PETG for car parts...

Thank Jim! Also great point about the chemical resistance of PET plastic vs. ABS. I had never really thought about that in context of printing for a car and it's a great point to make. I'll add the additional items and adjust my safety warnings accordingly!

furntree

Review - Clutch Stop

I printed the 14mm tall version of this and it has been working out great! I haven't had a single problem with starting the car due to not hitting the start safety switch and the clutch travel distance is much improved.

Make sure you print two of them, you will certainly break the press fit peg on the first try.

If anyone is thinking about adding a raised clutch stop, doesn't want to buy one, and happens to have a 3D printer, I can highly recommend it!

Genesis730

Passed Driver's Ed

vw671

Autocross Newbie
Serious question, not knocking your creativity or to be negative but what is the point of the blackvue mount? I ask because I own a backvue myself and it comes with a mount included. I've had mine for 3 years now and I've had no issues with it.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

So you don't have to stick anything on the windshield. I don't like the ugly adhesive showing from the outside of the car.

Same reason BlendMount sales a bracket: https://www.blackvue.com/product/blendmount-dashcam-mount/

Last edited:

tkmn

I've been trying to find a 3d printed accelerator pedal spacer. I tried the WCT spacer and found it too thick (raised the pedal too much) for my comfort. I'd like to print a thinner version but didn't think to scan it before I sent it back, and haven't had time to model one of my own.