GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3D Printed Inlet Duct

gti_loki

Ready to race!
I’m a ...regular with Xometry. T-shirts abound lol. PA6, like PP, exist as filaments, but they’re not commonly used. You’ll notice Xometry offers neither. My printer runs 310C, not the hottest but enough to print PC.

Xometry is convenient but not cheap. The full intake is over $400.

gti_loki

Ready to race!
400.00 for which the air filter OEM plus? or the duct? When I build my 4th printer I"m going to make it able to handle a more hotter (hot end).
$430 for the OEM plus design. It’s a lot of material and a big footprint (for printing).
FDM was $600+

gti_loki

Ready to race!
Another test piece:
5FD3575F-118C-4A73-8E3A-A2E1BA3D144C.jpeg

MarkFortune

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
@gti_loki Long time lurker, new poster here. I've got a heavily modified Prusa i3 Mk2.5 Bear that is purpose-built to print some of the higher-end materials (Nylon and PC in particular). Been using short-strand carbon fiber poly-carbonate to print my custom designed fairing mounts and clutch stops that I sell on my Etsy store (Shameless plug here: http://etsy.com/shop/FortuneWorks) as well as a lot of custom parts for a local Euro shop and some engineering firms. Would be interested to see if this material would work for your application, as polycarb blends tend to have much higher glass temps than most other filaments. Would be happy to sacrifice various filaments to test!

IMG_20191202_054620.jpg
IMG_20200619_080921.jpg
IMG_20200619_121344.jpg

Last edited:

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
@gti_loki Long time lurker, new poster here. I've got a heavily modified Prusa i3 Mk2.5 Bear that is purpose-built to print some of the higher-end materials (Nylon and PC in particular). Been using short-strand carbon fiber poly-carbonate to print my custom designed fairing mounts and clutch stops that I sell on my Etsy store (Shameless plug here: http://etsy.com/shop/FortuneWorks) as well as a lot of custom parts for a local Euro shop and some engineering firms. Would be interested to see if this material would work for your application, as polycarb blends tend to have much higher glass temps than most other filaments. Would be happy to sacrifice various filaments to test!

View attachment 184811View attachment 184812

Does that use zipties??

MarkFortune

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
Does that use zipties??
Sure does! 5 months in and still holding great, and still looks loads better than those garbage universal fairing mounts. Makes it easy if I ever want to swap on T rail mounts for my kayak or bike, just grab another set of zip ties and I'm back in action.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
Sure does! 5 months in and still holding great, and still looks loads better than those garbage universal fairing mounts. Makes it easy if I ever want to swap on T rail mounts for my kayak or bike, just grab another set of zip ties and I'm back in action.
I thought I spied zipties.....I assume it automatically feeds it through once entered in through the top? Yes...these look LOADS better than the universal clamp crap I'm using. I'm totally ordering.

What's that black portion under the zipties though?

MarkFortune

Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
I thought I spied zipties.....I assume it automatically feeds it through once entered in through the top? Yes...these look LOADS better than the universal clamp crap I'm using. I'm totally ordering.
You got it! And while these are designed for any generic Inno fairings, I think Inno may have stopped making their medium size which is what I prefer. So even though the large and small fairings will still work with my mounts, if people want to use other fairings (like from Yakima or Thule or whatever) I'd be happy to work with them to design mounts for those as well. Am also open to any suggestions, tweaks in designs, ideas for stuff for our cars, etc.

And the black portion under the zip ties is electrical tape, cause I originally had concerns of them sliding. I no longer have such fears, and have since removed it.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
You got it! And while these are designed for any generic Inno fairings, I think Inno may have stopped making their medium size which is what I prefer. So even though the large and small fairings will still work with my mounts, if people want to use other fairings (like from Yakima or Thule or whatever) I'd be happy to work with them to design mounts for those as well. Am also open to any suggestions, tweaks in designs, ideas for stuff for our cars, etc.

And the black portion under the zip ties is electrical tape, cause I originally had concerns of them sliding. I no longer have such fears, and have since removed it.
I have a medium so no worries. Thanks for the quick reply.

back on topic......

OP....love your design.....when you get it finished and to where you feel comfortable shopping it out, you'll have no issue selling :)

gti_loki

Ready to race!

View attachment 184811View attachment 184812View attachment 184821
Sorry for the delayed response, I’m terrible about getting on here.
That is some awesome work!
PC generally has a higher Tg so should work just fine. One thing I did to give my intake the best chance at surviving is annealing. It’s been on for ~1000 miles now in this TX summer heat and doing great, no signs of softening or distortion. PC should do even better. Often carbon and glass do little to help Tg and HDT, they just make it stiffer.
The final heat shield print was done in CF PA and looks amazing. Picture to come.