GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

3 row SUV for the family + towing

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I think you lease most of your cars. Any specific reason why you ruled out Explorer. Ford has great lease numbers and its a good vehicle too.

I do lease, correct

I didn't price them out, but when we were at the Auto Show....the 3rd row access was terrible (IMO).
The seat had to fold & then tumble forward.
So, that said, if you have a car seat there....which we will....you would have to remove it every time. That's a no go
And when it did fold & tumble forward, you could see the floor pan visually bending/moving too.
Every review I saw about the Explorer said it's old/aged too

If anything, I wanted to love the Flex since I like the exterior styling...but man they get expensive and such a cheap interior. And it also had the same 3rd row access as the Explorer, which wouldn't work for us.

So that's what attracted me to the Atlas to begin with...the seats can tilt and slide forward for 3rd row access even with a car seat in it.
The Traverse can do that too (on the passenger side only though).

Are you considering an Explorer? What are they going for?

EDIT: Just looked up & gas mileage didn't look great on both of the Fords either, btw.

Last edited:

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
I do lease, correct

I didn't price them out, but when we were at the Auto Show....the 3rd row access was terrible (IMO).
The seat had to fold & then tumble forward.
So, that said, if you have a car seat there....which we will....you would have to remove it every time. That's a no go
And when it did fold & tumble forward, you could see the floor pan visually bending/moving too.
Every review I saw about the Explorer said it's old/aged too

If anything, I wanted to love the Flex since I like the exterior styling...but man they get expensive and such a cheap interior. And it also had the same 3rd row access as the Explorer, which wouldn't work for us.

So that's what attracted me to the Atlas to begin with...the seats can tilt and slide forward for 3rd row access even with a car seat in it.
The Traverse can do that too (on the passenger side only though).

Are you considering an Explorer? What are they going for?

I saw some reviews in youtube where they compared several SUVs. Few of them (i do not remember which ones) had rear seat access without folding the second row seats. I visited a couple of Ford dealers nearby and was not happy with the price they offered. So had we had zeroed in Explorer, we might have bought it from one of the dealers in DC area.

Initially we were looking into two extremes Durango RT (for performance) and Pilot (for reliability). Then we also added Explorer and 4runner into the list.

Durango RT - cons were price and fuel consumption.
Pilot - a boring drive.
Explorer - we liked it but nothing really stood out.
4runner - 5 speed transmission was a big no no but its built like a tank. If maintained well, it might outlast us.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
I saw some reviews in youtube where they compared several SUVs. Few of them (i do not remember which ones) had rear seat access without folding the second row seats. I visited a couple of Ford dealers nearby and was not happy with the price they offered. So had we had zeroed in Explorer, we might have bought it from one of the dealers in DC area.

Initially we were looking into two extremes Durango RT (for performance) and Pilot (for reliability). Then we also added Explorer and 4runner into the list.

Durango RT - cons were price and fuel consumption.
Pilot - a boring drive.
Explorer - we liked it but nothing really stood out.
4runner - 5 speed transmission was a big no no but its built like a tank. If maintained well, it might outlast us.

So what are you looking to get then?

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Placed a factory order for a Durango.

Specs, if you don't mind sharing?

I just pulled the trigger on Wednesday for the Traverse...2018 LT FWD w/Convenience package.
The dealer was willing to do whatever it took since it was the end of the month and I got the exact deal I wanted originally (which I didn't think would happen)

After thinking I wanted the bench seat though, I ended up going with the captain chairs instead since they're more "practical" in everyday living with the older kid needing to get to the 3rd row every day. Instead of having to move/screw with the sliding bench every day

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Specs, if you don't mind sharing?

I just pulled the trigger on Wednesday for the Traverse...2018 LT FWD w/Convenience package.
The dealer was willing to do whatever it took since it was the end of the month and I got the exact deal I wanted originally (which I didn't think would happen)

After thinking I wanted the bench seat though, I ended up going with the captain chairs instead since they're more "practical" in everyday living with the older kid needing to get to the 3rd row every day. Instead of having to move/screw with the sliding bench every day

Initially we were thinking about ordering a GT trim with 3.6 pentastar engine. Since we are planning to keep this vehicle for a while, we loaded the vehicle with most options we want. This was our final spec: R/T awd with captain chairs, trailer tow and blacktop package. Second row captain chairs were a must on our list for convenience and comfort.

Dealers always offer great deals towards the end of the month and glad to hear that you got a great deal on yours.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
^^^
What color?

And on the Durango, if you want captain chairs, is there a center console or a walk way?

How long until you get it too?

Walk way is standard, but you can get an optional center console.

He ordered exactly what I’m after

vj123 let me know how you like it once it comes in! Congrats man

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
^^^
What color?

And on the Durango, if you want captain chairs, is there a center console or a walk way?

How long until you get it too?

Regarding the color, I will let the pictures talk once i take the delivery :)

We did not opt for the center console in the second row (which costs $495) and i am hoping to take the delivery in a couple of weeks.

He ordered exactly what I’m after

vj123 let me know how you like it once it comes in! Congrats man

Thank you. I see that you still have some time to decide. By then, i should have spend enough time with mine and will keep updated.

Also let me know if you need any dealer contact. I shopped around 1000 miles from Detroit and no other dealer could come close to the price offered by my dealer.

N2fastcars

Ready to race!
I did see a Durango the other day that had all of the 392 Charger styling features that looked really sweet...sorry I know very little else about them.

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner
Walk way is standard, but you can get an optional center console.

We did not opt for the center console in the second row (which costs $495) and i am hoping to take the delivery in a couple of weeks.

Thank you. I see that you still have some time to decide. By then, i should have spend enough time with mine and will keep updated.

Also let me know if you need any dealer contact. I shopped around 1000 miles from Detroit and no other dealer could come close to the price offered by my dealer.

Dammit...at the Auto Show, they had captain chair equipped Durangos but they all had the consoles....didn't know that was an option

That quick for a factory order? Not bad!

Which dealer are you doing with, local or out of state?

Are you still buying/leasing it regardless if the GTI sells or not, or are you going to trade it in?

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion

I plan to buy a CPO or used so I’ll go wherever the right color/options are. I fly for free so pretty much anywhere is an option for the right deal

I did see a Durango the other day that had all of the 392 Charger styling features that looked really sweet...sorry I know very little else about them.

Yeah man the 2018 RT looks 100x more aggressive than previous models, it’s pretty much identical to the new 392 SRT model (excluding the fender and grille badges)

...and the extra 100hp lol, but I don’t need that kinda trouble with the wife. It’s supposed to be more her car since the gti isn’t going anywhere

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Dammit...at the Auto Show, they had captain chair equipped Durangos but they all had the consoles....didn't know that was an option

That quick for a factory order? Not bad!

Which dealer are you doing with, local or out of state?

Are you still buying/leasing it regardless if the GTI sells or not, or are you going to trade it in?

Estimated delivery was 6 - 8 weeks from the order date. Vehicle was build in 3 weeks after i placed the order and its waiting for shipment for the past 2 weeks. Its frustrating as people who had ordered their vehicles after me had taken their delivery (in 4 weeks).

I will be buying the D as we are planning to keep it for quite sometime. I sold my GTI last week and waiting to take the delivery of the D. And i am working with a dealer from out of state, let me know you need the contact i will ping you.

I plan to buy a CPO or used so I’ll go wherever the right color/options are. I fly for free so pretty much anywhere is an option for the right deal

Ah ok. It was tough for us to find the exact vehicle we were looking for.

Also I came across a dealer who sells Mopar max care warranty for a great price. So i might end up buying it as soon as i buy the D.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Estimated delivery was 6 - 8 weeks from the order date. Vehicle was build in 3 weeks after i placed the order and its waiting for shipment for the past 2 weeks. Its frustrating as people who had ordered their vehicles after me had taken their delivery (in 4 weeks).

I will be buying the D as we are planning to keep it for quite sometime. I sold my GTI last week and waiting to take the delivery of the D. And i am working with a dealer from out of state, let me know you need the contact i will ping you.

Ah ok. It was tough for us to find the exact vehicle we were looking for.

Also I came across a dealer who sells Mopar max care warranty for a great price. So i might end up buying it as soon as i buy the D.

I’m not overly worried about warranty, CPO is just our likely route since it’s gotta be a 2018 to get the facelift and those will be a year old or less next April when I’m ready to buy

snobrdrdan

former GTI owner

Well that's still a better time frame than ordering anything from VW, lol

It's built downtown (in Detroit), right?

Sold your GTI privately already? That was quick!
Hopefully you got the price you were looking for too

In for pics of the new "D"