GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2nd track day in 10 years. Homestead-Miami. OEM+ Daily Driver setup

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Sebring a few months ago was my return to track days after a decade off. It was scary, humbling and I felt helpless until I got some coaching to bring me back to speed.

Today I returned to Homestead for the first time in a decade. I didn’t know what to expect other than I used to run here often and got some professional coaching here a dozen years ago.

To my delight, after a few warm up laps, I realized the track brake zones and turn in points were burned into my skull. I wasn’t lost at all and it was like riding a bike- I hadn’t forgotten!

Now as to setup. Last December at Sebring I was running Superpro Strut Mounts and LCA’s up front, Porterfield R4S pads all around, TRW 600 brake fluid and on Pirelli P Zero tires at 36psi. 034 intake plenum, factory air box with drop in filter, JB4 Map 1.

Today, in addition to the above I used ECS 2pc Slotted Rotors, Porterfield R4 pads up front (kept the R4S in back), Superpro 22mm Rear Sway Bar and endlinks. Same tires at 35psi. Autotech intake lid and hose, 034 Turbo Inlet Pipe. JB4 Map 1.

The differences between Sebring and Homestead (in terms of the car):
-The rear swaybar made the car more Neutral.
-I held down ASR button long enough to go into ESC limited mode. Noticeable!!!
-Zero Brake Fade (brakes were fading at Sebring, now they took everything I threw at them).
-JB4 Map 1 (roughly +5psi) hit limp mode a couple times. I then ran Map 0 (factory) and all was good. Then I filled up with 98 octane and ran Map 1 again with success.

I pushed myself today and what I call an OEM+ setup pretty well today. I‘m feeling really good with the way the car responded! It really is a joy to drive out there- even if it’s a front wheel drive vertical box on wheels! Put a huge smile on my face.

Vid of a session today (by lap 2 we’re pushing it!);

DC148014-03EB-44BC-AA21-364F2AC68412.jpeg

FA2FE8B0-EFF4-4E31-81ED-4E0D1F129EE5.jpeg

Attachments

• BBBD8DAC-798B-4864-A1E4-1DB6E26178D5.jpeg
    BBBD8DAC-798B-4864-A1E4-1DB6E26178D5.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 107
Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Awesome that you’re getting back into it!

I’d put a intercooler upgrade on your short list and keep at it. BFI dog bone insert would make a big difference, even better a full set of their mounts.

Its amazing how much fun a econo hatchback can be!

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
dont be afraid to trail brake.
I did a decent amount of trail braking today in the later sessions to get that back end rotating. 5:07 and at 6:12 mark for example, I’m completely trailing that brake into apex. Fighting off that ring rust!

Last edited:

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
damn you Miata
I know, damnit, I wanted to see how long I could hang with the Porsche and Vette. Myself and and a couple Miata were the only non Porsche/Corvette/horsepower cars out there today in Blue group. It’s like being a lightweight wrestling with the heavyweights. Red group is just downright scary- full track prep cars.
7502684C-E643-46D3-A324-E244B9C6C03C.jpeg

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Awesome that you’re getting back into it!

I’d put a intercooler upgrade on your short list and keep at it. BFI dog bone insert would make a big difference, even better a full set of their mounts.

Its amazing how much fun a econo hatchback can be!
Intercooler is definitely a must! I plan on getting another GTI and going full track prep with it.
I was keeping an eye on IAT’s during the sessions. They held steady at 111 degrees. Ambient was 73.

Last edited:

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Intercooler is definitely a must! I plan on getting another GTI and going full track prep with it.
I was keeping an eye on IAT’s during the sessions. They held steady at 111 degrees. Ambient was 73.

They pop up already in full prep from time to time. Two caged mk7 sold this year just that I’ve noticed. Eventually that’s the plan for mine, as I’ll probably put daily driver duty in the hands of a mk8 when they come out.