GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

255/40r/17 on forgestar 17x9 ET40 wheels

broke_car_guy

Car(s)
2018 GTI
20200809_135759.jpgIMG_4209.jpgIMG_4208.jpgIMG_4194.jpg
IMG_4213.jpg

I fitted these up this weekend. 17x9 ET40 forgestar wheels, 255/40r/17 BFG G-force sport comp 2, stock height no rubbing but it does poke a bit. I know it's not for everyone but I wanted a light wheel and lots of traction. I had to use 5mm rear spacers to clear the fuel filler neck. Traction is impressive, so much that I'm rethinking getting a wavetrac. Car is running is38 apr tunes so I needed more grip, roads suck where I live so wanted to go with 17's. Next step is sways and maybe shocks or coilovers. The car is my daily so gotta keep it mild for family duties.

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI
255 dang...I bet you had to use a spacer in the rear!

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
Interesting you had a to run a 5mm spacer even with ET40. How much camber do you have front/rear?

Mini7

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTi Sport PP
Interesting you had a to run a 5mm spacer even with ET40. How much camber do you have front/rear?
I’m surprised by this as well.

broke_car_guy

Car(s)
2018 GTI
I’m surprised by this as well.
17x9rub.jpg
Here's the 17x9 mounted without the spacer, the tire rubbing against the fuel filler assembly. It made an audible squeak and left a noticeable mark during test fitting. Maybe it has something to do with my model year? 2018 mk7.5? The only other person on a forum running a similar size was a guy in australia, he ran redrilled wheels and a staggered offset which I did not want to do. His rear offset of 35 , matches mine after you factor in the spacer.

http://www.vwgolf.net.au/showthread.php?24962-Enkei-RPF1-17x9

I've seen people running bigger wheels and tires, honestly even with camber adjusted I don't see how they do it.

Last edited:

broke_car_guy

Car(s)
2018 GTI
These look great, did you happen to weigh the wheel or the wheel+tire combo before you installed?
I can weigh them next week, I plan to run them thru a few back roads for testing and check out if any more tweaks need to be made. I am still concerned about any issues during high speed turns. Will update the thread with weights then, they are noticeably lighter than the stock wheels and tires though.

Last edited: