GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

255/35/r18 tire fitment

scrllock

Autocross Champion
Do you also know te range of offset that world work good? I want to buy rims from something with 5x112 and then offset like 42 or 48 is normal? And with stock camber on rear and front
Stock camber and +42 you might need to do the fender screw mod. I could put a 3mm spacer on and test but I'm not on stock suspension so wouldn't be conclusive.

toothofwar

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
On my R I had to do the mod with indy 500s. And they run a little narrow

Karthoum

Ready to race!
Car(s)
21 GTI SE, 14 Cayman
I wanted to post to this thread with I guess, my personal experience and by being in the industry for many years. While the general tire and wheels spec information is universal I am speaking specifically regarding the MK7-7.5 (MQB Platform) when I talk about what will fit, as it is physically wider than the MKV and MKVI. If you found this and have a MKV or MKVI, check a forum for those regarding what fits. They should be the same as the MKVI is essentially a MKV (A5 Platform) with a major interior and exterior facelift and new some tech.

So, I have ordered 255/35-18 tires and will mount on my 18x8.5 +45 Neuspeed RSE10. I've read this thread and many others on other sites and I don't think people are fully understanding all the numbers. I don't want to sound like a know it all, I'm just trying to contribute information to help the next guy who is reading this and may not fully understand it either and may get confused by some of the comments and information. So the right information is helpful to all.

So to begin. the 35, 40, 45 etc number is the aspect ratio of the 225, 235, 245 etc meaning the small number is a percentage of the large number giving the sidewall height based on the larger number width measured in millimeters. The small number of the sidewall is not a fixed number as it seems some people seem to think. When someone wants to use a 35 series tire, there is no "overkill" or "wrong size". There can be a perfectly logical use of any combination. I read somewhere someone said "using a 35 isn't accomplishing anything unless you want rubber band sidewalls". I would argue it's using the Euro-Metric/P-metric system in place to accomplish ANY goal and in this case it is the exact same "rubber band sidewall" VW used. The person was using this combination to keep his tires from getting taller, but wanted them wider. A perfectly understandable goal, aesthetically or functionally. As you will see in my example, the ratios can be completely different and still work and be almost! exactly the same while achieving a goal.

So in my case, I'm going from 225/40 (225mm wide 90mm sidewall) to 255/35 (255mm wide 89.25mm sidewall). These tires are almost identical in size except for the section width of 225mm and 255mm. The reason people are having no issue with rubbing a 255 is because the only thing that has really changed from the factory setup is the width (the height changes by -.75mm which is negligible). (see calc image below) This also will help when lowering because you have essentially a stock diameter tire (sidewall height), which for the most part (there are some exceptions) is all you care about IF you don't want to modify anything on the body. If you add in the rear offset as a variable it gives you more ways to achieve your goal, whatever that is. More on offset below. As a side note, my Cayman has 265/35-20 rear tires, (265mm wide 92.75mm sidewall) so it has a taller sidewall than my GTI, but still a 35 series tire.

You CAN use other tires like 235/40 (235mm wide 94mm sidewall) and 245/40 (245mm wide 98mm sidewall) but as you can see by the small (aspect ratio) number, these tire sizes will increase the sidewall height increasing the overall diameter from stock and require some mod, and potentially changing the speedo accuracy. Based on my reading they MAY require the screw mod at the very least. Again, the width at this point is not a big factor. These cars can handle a pretty big size, to a point, with the correct combination of wheel offset and width. Offset will allow you to use wider width as long as you have room on either side, body or suspension, depending on the offset you choose. The MK7 being wider does allow a little more room for width over previous gens without doing much modding.

Offset is the distance from the mounting face of the wheel to the centerline of the wheel measured in millimeters. I know at first glance it seems counterintuitive but the smaller that number, the further outside the wheel well the tire/wheel assembly will sit. In my case, the car came with 18" black Pretoria's that are 18x7.5 +51. In my opinion as the Golf has physically widened, VW should have changed from the MKV wheel specs to a MK7 spec to "fit" the body better. So that means to make them more flush(poke), as most do, I went with a smaller offset. I chose +45 as it's a very common size and a good compromise. It sits 6mm closer to outside and since I am now adding 255/35 tires on my Neuspeed 8.5" wheels, these will fit more flush, keep the same stock diameter and give a fatter tire stance yet not compromise anywhere else. There are more aggressive offsets, +35 being the most common but this and lesser offset will more than likely require some mod even going with stock tire sizes due to the +35 offset pushing the assembly so far out from the stock position into possibly contacting the body on full compression or hard turns, especially! if lowering.

As you can see in the calculator images, the 255 is proportionally the same as a 225 with the correct wheel specs and achieve the wider stance that, in my opinion, the MK7-MK7.5 should have been given from VW.

Will They Fit Calculator

225-40v255-35-2.png

225-40v255-35.png
Offset.png

Last edited:
Reactions: krs

Karthoum

Ready to race!
Car(s)
21 GTI SE, 14 Cayman
235/40 definitely doesn't require screw mod
Thanks, I changed it to MAY, because as soon as I take that out, someone will say "245 will require the screw mod!" :)

JTM88

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2016 GTI
I've been thinking about getting the same spec tires on the same wheels you have, I'm interested to see how they look.

Karthoum

Ready to race!
Car(s)
21 GTI SE, 14 Cayman
I've been thinking about getting the same spec tires on the same wheels you have, I'm interested to see how they look.
Tires should be here today, so as soon as I get them on and get this thing washed! I'll get some pics....and I'm planning probably this summer to drop it on VWR sport springs...or MAYBE Neuspeed. It's funny, my R32 was on VWR springs and rear sway bar and I loved the look and feel but I never really think my GTI needs dropped till I see pics of them that are. Just daily I think, it's fine. But then I see pics and I'm like yeah it really needs it.

Karthoum

Ready to race!
Car(s)
21 GTI SE, 14 Cayman
I’m in the 255/35 club, albeit on a 18x9 +45

I’m happy with the fit, and drivability aspect.
View attachment 299059
I debated on the PS4S, I have them on the Cayman and just absolutely love them, but the GTI being my daily, I decided for a little compromise and went with the PSAS4 so I don't have to swap wheels each winter. They should be fine for daily use. I also have these on the 02 GLX and they've been great. And actually I had an early predecessor on my MKVI GTI in 2010, the PSAS3.

What suspension are you using?

Reactions: krs

Karthoum

Ready to race!
Car(s)
21 GTI SE, 14 Cayman
As a follow up to show the MKV vs MK7, this is a picture of my R32 with VW Karthoum wheels, 18x8 +50. The stock MK7 18" Pretoria's are 18x7.5 +51. This is why I say the stock VW wheels for the MK7 should have been +43-+45 in my opinion. I think it was a case of tooling, not wanting to tool up for new wheels specs. And honestly, they probably know most owners will change them anyway.

IMG_1769sm.jpg
c0d93ed1ed3d5e3736fe54a487fa6e9bx.jpg

krs

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
MKVIIS R
I debated on the PS4S, I have them on the Cayman and just absolutely love them, but the GTI being my daily, I decided for a little compromise and went with the PSAS4 so I don't have to swap wheels each winter. They should be fine for daily use. I also have these on the 02 GLX and they've been great. And actually I had an early predecessor on my MKVI GTI in 2010, the PSAS3.

What suspension are you using?

I ran the PSAS4 for awhile when I lived in Idaho, and they were great, but I also drove the car a lot more then as well. I've since moved to Las Vegas and about the coldest it's been is low 40's... But I also don't drive the car that much anymore. I either use my truck as it's parked outside, or the Atlas because of the kid.

I have the Bilstein B16's for my suspension.

Karthoum

Ready to race!
Car(s)
21 GTI SE, 14 Cayman
I ran the PSAS4 for awhile when I lived in Idaho, and they were great, but I also drove the car a lot more then as well. I've since moved to Las Vegas and about the coldest it's been is low 40's... But I also don't drive the car that much anymore. I either use my truck as it's parked outside, or the Atlas because of the kid.

I have the Bilstein B16's for my suspension.
I have gone back and forth on just springs, or coilovers but I'm not sure I want the mess of the coilovers during the winter. Salty and sandy roads are bad enough on stuff that is protected from it, but leave all that fine threaded aluminum just out there to take all the crap, that seems like a poor way to treat something that is approaching $2500 all in. And yeah, I know they make weather wraps for them, but only the fronts. I've never seen them for the rears. But I do like the ability to dial in the amount of drop rather than what the spring just gives you.