Ital

Go Kart Newbie

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
There is literally no reason to add more power unless you are upgrading your tires as well. Tires should be the first thing you buy.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
There is literally no reason to add more power unless you are upgrading your tires as well. Tires should be the first thing you buy.

After doing the opposite, I'm inclined to agree. The stock Potenzas are inadequate at best.

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
After doing the opposite, I'm inclined to agree. The stock Potenzas are inadequate at best.
I cheaped out on my tire upgrade and wen with Sumi HTR Z III's. They were good for JB1 power but with a real tune they are no longer gripping. Also due to how fast they wear. They were good tries for a while though

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
I bought a set of HTRZIIs for my WRX back in '04 and wasn't too thrilled with them. For a summer tire, they rode harshly and were loud.

Desslok

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Rabbit
Went to RWD after that for a while before buying the GTI last year. And it is crazy warm this winter. It sure was good timing on my part to buy that set of Blizzaks back in November.

Rocketdog

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I will be listing these in near future

JB4 w/BT
HR rear sway bar with Moog links
Neuspeed DP (no CELs in the 3 months it was on my car; bought new)
Corsa Catback Exhaust (this + Neuspeed is all 3 inch diameter) - probably too heavy to ship

Setup was wonderful on my 2017 Sport

--RD

uberdot

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Silver 2017 6MT
I will be listing these in near future

JB4 w/BT
HR rear sway bar with Moog links
Neuspeed DP (no CELs in the 3 months it was on my car; bought new)
Corsa Catback Exhaust (this + Neuspeed is all 3 inch diameter) - probably too heavy to ship

Setup was wonderful on my 2017 Sport

--RD
what diameter sway bar is that?

swcrow

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
7.5 GTI

Concur wholeheartedly. After not being able to get up my driveway after buying my car with the smallest bit of snow, I dumped them and picked up AS3+ and never had another problem

imthanick_a

Autocross Champion
I bought a set of HTRZIIs for my WRX back in '04 and wasn't too thrilled with them. For a summer tire, they rode harshly and were loud.
I liked them for a while, the road noise didnt get too bad til about 25k miles on them. They were a good choice at the time and I don't regret buying them but this time I am going to buy something better

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie
Always wider and stickier tires, lighter and wider wheels and mounts before power.

The amount of people that give a car a tune or piggyback while on stock mounts and All-Season crappy OEM 225/40-18 tires, only to swear off the GTI and spend $20k to upgrade to an R is maddening.

jits

Why so many recommendations for coilovers? Total overkill for a street car. You either wind up spending a lot more than necessary, or cheap out and get crappy coilovers for the same cost that could have bought some nice Bilstein B8's and H&R springs, or similar. Only dick-swingers put them on street cars, so that they can tell people "I got coils, man". Half of that money will do the job, and with quality parts - leaving the other half for other stuff, like the cost of better tires.

I understand this and agree 100%. I think my experience with coilovers was that it made my GTI so compliant on the road and I never had that same balance of performance and comfort with springs. That said, on my R I 'm riding Eibach springs and I'm really pleased with how they fare on the street.

As for cost and performance, I would lean towards springs over coils. Save that money for other quality parts.

Luchos

Go Kart Champion
Invest the $2500 in the stock market while it's down RN and double your money when it rebounds. Then you'll have a $5000 budget.