GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

245 width on 35 ET? 47 ET?

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
Didn't get any traction in the general thread so am now asking here. I think 35 ET will be too wide but thought I'd ask. It's for an ALLTRACK at GTI height. My thinking is I will need an offset of 45 to 50 to have a 245 clear both the fender and strut. Any advice is greatly appreciated. I'm kinda set on trying to fit a 245/45 17 set in there.

Faceman

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
'17 GSW 4Mo
Do you need that much of a contact patch?

Depending on the brand tire and 35 offset, you have a good chance of rubbing.

Sumfuncomet

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Mercedes E63 S
look around on the site, I have a lowered alltrack and have experimented with many wheels. Wheel width and offset and tire size is critical. I only use 17", definitely not a fan of the bigger wheel look OR ride quality! Currently 17x9 ET45 265/40/17 very minor rubbing only on infrequent occasion, IMHO you cannot put a larger tire/wheel 17" on the car than this.

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
look around on the site, I have a lowered alltrack and have experimented with many wheels. Wheel width and offset and tire size is critical. I only use 17", definitely not a fan of the bigger wheel look OR ride quality! Currently 17x9 ET45 265/40/17 very minor rubbing only on infrequent occasion, IMHO you cannot put a larger tire/wheel 17" on the car than this.
Sounds like I will be fine with a 45-50 offset. Thanks and I completely agree about 17s. I'm in Chicago and guys with less rubber to wheel are always bending and cracking rims in potholes etc. Everything is a compromise but for me, the best ride/handling balance for my lowered Alltrack for a daily driver is the same as yours. I'm keeping my OEMs for winter with 225/50r17 as Winter tires are a bit much here as the roads stay pretty clean. 245/45 will be a summer tire.

GoLfUnV

Ready to race!
FWIW, i fitted 245/45/19 on 8.5" wheel with et45, with stock suspension, it was rubbing on the fender in big dips and turns (fender screw removed).

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
FWIW, i fitted 245/45/19 on 8.5" wheel with et45, with stock suspension, it was rubbing on the fender in big dips and turns (fender screw removed).
1.3" greater radius than stock GTI may have something to do with that. 1" more radius than a stock Alltrack that comes a bit taller to start with. You're also at about a 16mm spacer vs stock on that.

Last edited:

goodvibes

Go Kart Champion
So I've had 245/45/17 with 8" x 45et wheels on my Alltrack with GTI springs for a couple weeks now. Easy clearance with no mods all the way around. Same diameter as stock and the wheel no longer looked tucked in. Same look as 10mm spacers all the way around.