GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

245/40/18 on stock suspension

ChronicSPD

Ready to race!
I've seen this question a few times. There's not a lot of pics so I figured I throw a few on here. These are 245/40/18 Michelin Pilot Sport 4s tires on TRMotorsport C4 wheels. 18x8 offset 45. Overall I like the look. The wheels were cheap and not quite perfect, but good for the money and fairly light weight being right around 20lbs each. The fronts are pretty flush, rear could use small spacers. No rubbing at all so far, even without the fender screw mod. Let me know what you guys think. (yeah, yeah, it's a monster truck lol)

Attachments

• IMG_20180325_181430.jpg
    IMG_20180325_181430.jpg
    655.6 KB · Views: 20,323
  • IMG_20180325_183653.jpg
    IMG_20180325_183653.jpg
    378.3 KB · Views: 8,462

ChronicSPD

Ready to race!
Thanks! It's staying stock height so I figure the taller tire would fill the gap a bit.

drrck

Go Kart Champion
I can dig it. I'm running 235 on my 18x8, I like the look better than 225 and I'll take all the contact patch I can get.

ChronicSPD

Ready to race!
I had 225/40/18 Michelin AS3+ tires on stock wheels before these (slightly wider than stock Hankooks). They were a big upgrade over stock and phenomenal tires for those that want to stay on all season tires. However, these tires are sooo much better in both forward and lateral traction so far. A little more comfy and just a little more roll. I think a rear sway will be the next addition. Then more power...

nype

Drag Racing Champion
With your previous MPS AS 3+, had you considered 235/40?

I’ve read that the Austin rims measure closer to 7.75” (listed as 7.5”).

Last edited:

ChronicSPD

Ready to race!
I did, but I was impatient. We didn't have the 235s in stock at the shop I was working at then. The Austins with the AS3+ will go back on next winter for another season, and then probably a dedicated winter tire on them the following year. After working as a mechanic in tire shops and dealerships, I whole heartedly love Michelin tires.

For anybody else that has done lots of mounting and balancing tires... finding Michelin balls in tires still makes me LOL...

SailorJack

I really like that set up!!! I to plan to stay with the stock suspension since I tow motorcycles often like the travel for crappy DMV roads.

If possible, could you post some straight on front and rear photos to show off the tire width? Thanks again.

funks

Ready to race!

Pilot super sports 245/40R18 - Konig Ampliforms are 19.2 lbs to around 19.4 lbs each (18x8.5). Waiting for the Golf R 2018 though - i'll be on the stock suspension.

Good thing is that these tires are currently getting clearanced at TireRack (less than 150$ each) and there's a 70$ rebate. It's a cheaper tire than the 235 even though it has more tire meat as it's a more common tire (same OEM tire size as the EVO's and STi's).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

nype

Drag Racing Champion
Interested to see pics of these installed. When?

XM_Rocks

Autocross Newbie

nype

Drag Racing Champion
how heavy are the tires? curious if it negates the benefit of the lighter wheel.

According to Tirerack:
- stock 225/40/18 Hankooks 22lbs
- 245/40/18 MPS4S 23lbs

And looks like he dropped ~6lbs with the wheels (Austins are ~26lbs). So I’d say still a net loss of 5lbs per corner.