GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

235/45-R18

txricancarguy

Gearhead
I run 235/45/18 Conti DWS on my 18x8.5 +35 VMRs. Running EMD springs. ZERO rubbing. Ever.
E2DF9497-9774-4B60-B394-A4D4D473DF4C.jpeg

CW_R32

I run 235/45/18 Conti DWS on my 18x8.5 +35 VMRs. Running EMD springs. ZERO rubbing. Ever.View attachment 206456
So it seems likely that 235/40-19 will fit since they are roughly same size. I have 19" pretoria's and I think they look decent and are pretty light for OEM wheels. What I don't like is having a 35 sidewall in the real world. Was planning on buying 18's but if the 1" larger diameter tire clears everything, I may not mind 4% taller gearing with 1/2" more ground clearance and sidewall.

txricancarguy

Gearhead
So it seems likely that 235/40-19 will fit since they are roughly same size. I have 19" pretoria's and I think they look decent and are pretty light for OEM wheels. What I don't like is having a 35 sidewall in the real world. Was planning on buying 18's but if the 1" larger diameter tire clears everything, I may not mind 4% taller gearing with 1/2" more ground clearance and sidewall.
It’s apples vs orange with that. My setup is 1/2” wider and therefore the tire will sit differently on it. In addition, having a 14% difference in sidewall height will potentially make it look odd

CW_R32

It’s apples vs orange with that. My setup is 1/2” wider and therefore the tire will sit differently on it.
True, also you have less offset, which I interpreted as roughly putting the extra width towards to strut. But yeah the tire will have a slightly different profile on 8" wide wheel.

In addition, having a 14% difference in sidewall height will potentially make it look odd
It will look like I have 235 18 setup on a 19" wheel... like yours looks like you are running a 235 17 setup except on 18's. I kinda like it.

I will probably do like a normal conformist zombie; buy 18's to go to 40 aspect ratio tire. 😆

arob157

Drag Racing Champion
Because this is one of the first results.

I am running 235/45/18 on 18x8.5 et45 DSW06 Plus tires on my GTI. Running H&R OE Sport springs.

Running -0.2-0.3deg camber from stock. No rub lock to lock. 3mm spacer on the rear.

Gonna move the 3mm spacer to the front, and add a 5mm spacer to the rear. Digging the additional ride height for the winter.

IMG_20211124_160032760_HDR.jpg

Shuk'n'Jive

Car(s)
Mk7.5 GTI SE DIB
Because this is one of the first results.

I am running 235/45/18 on 18x8.5 et45 DSW06 Plus tires on my GTI. Running H&R OE Sport springs.

Running -0.2-0.3deg camber from stock. No rub lock to lock. 3mm spacer on the rear.

Gonna move the 3mm spacer to the front, and add a 5mm spacer to the rear. Digging the additional ride height for the winter.

View attachment 231392
Glad to see someone running this size with the H&R OE Sport Springs. I pulled my 18X8 et42 wheels with new PS AS3+ tires (235/45) off my GLI when I traded it for my '19 GTI....love the wheels and figured I'd just run the over sized tires until they wore out. I've been very, very pleased with the ride quality. I've only rubbed the very top of the front fender liner once or twice when going over really big dips in the road, but this only happens when the DCC is in comfort....no issues at all when dampers are set to normal or sport (completely stock suspension setup). The taller sidewalls eliminate a fair amount of the fender gap, but I've been curious if I could get away with a very modest drop with springs to get it "just right".

There are some obvious down sides like weight and resulting slight decrease in mileage (1-2 mpg in my experience), although some of that may be from the speedo error- according to willtheyfit it is quite a bit more than the 2% mentioned above....I'm seeing +4.7 over stock circumference to be exact. I don't do any track or autocross, so this setup works great for me and I love the ride improvement on long road trips. Time will tell if its an issue for wheel bearings or brake wear though.
3708732 (1).jpg