GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

22mm SuperPro Rear Sway Bar - The Conservative Approach

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
Wonder what bar that is? What’s the part number on it? Prefacelift performance pack is 5Q0511305BA. Prefacelift without performance pack is 5QM511305C.

edit: I did a quick search on 2018 and 2019 models and the rear sway part numbers are the same as pre facelift. Is your car non performance pack? That would explain the 20mm diameter.

It’s a 305C bar. Car has PP brakes. 2019 S
???

Last edited:

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
Wonder what bar that is? What’s the part number on it? Prefacelift performance pack is 5Q0511305BA. Prefacelift without performance pack is 5QM511305C.

edit: I did a quick search on 2018 and 2019 models and the rear sway part numbers are the same as pre facelift. Is your car non performance pack? That would explain the 20mm diameter.
My 2018 7.5 came with the 20mm bar stock as well, I was under the impression that the 7.5's would get the 21.7mm bars that the Mk7 PP's had. For the 7.5's I do not believe there was a performance pack option as for 2018's Autobahn trims, at least in Canada, came with PP brakes and the VAQ diff as standard.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
My 2018 7.5 came with the 20mm bar stock as well, I was under the impression that the 7.5's would get the 21.7mm bars that the Mk7 PP's had. For the 7.5's I do not believe there was a performance pack option as for 2018's Autobahn trims, at least in Canada, came with PP brakes and the VAQ diff as standard.
VAQ diff.
Maybe this explains why my ‘19 doesn’t perform the strange delayed vectoring correction characteristic of the elec diff described in the goose video linked by sloopercat? Could it be the VAQ diff?

ucfquattroguy

Go Kart Newbie
Keep in mind that some of the "snap" oversteer in some situations is because the OE bar will bind with the link bushings and cause the effective rate of the bar to go way up suddenly. Some aftermarket options address this making the handling characteristics as you increase weight transfer more progressive.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
VAQ diff.
Maybe this explains why my ‘19 doesn’t perform the strange delayed vectoring correction characteristic of the elec diff described in the goose video linked by sloopercat? Could it be the VAQ diff?
Could be but I cant confirm. I will say though, I recommend anyone with a VAQ equipped car to enable the "increased traction" setting. For me it was a game changer in terms of handling.

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
It seems that biasing the car to my liking with the correct rear bar would be better than relying on the vectoring to do the job of rotating the car when pushing it at the limits. I think for most street driving it is a great set up. Roads are still wet here, so not much opportunity to push the limits. I really am impressed with the car. SG seems convinced the lag in the vectoring is what is the issue, I thought that system was carried through. I admit I am still unclear as to all the permutations on this platform. The VW experience package does call out a larger rear sway as part of that package.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
It seems that biasing the car to my liking with the correct rear bar would be better than relying on the vectoring to do the job of rotating the car when pushing it at the limits. I think for most street driving it is a great set up. Roads are still wet here, so not much opportunity to push the limits. I really am impressed with the car. SG seems convinced the lag in the vectoring is what is the issue, I thought that system was carried through. I admit I am still unclear as to all the permutations on this platform. The VW experience package does call out a larger rear sway as part of that package.
In agreement. Would rather dial in the car mechanically than rely on computer controlled corrections.

I had my eye on the 24mm solid and 25mm hollow rsb options but I wanted to see/feel the impact of the 22mm rsb first. With end links bolted to the firm setting holes should be roughly 75% stiffer than factory.

As for figuring out factory permutations and iterations between the model years, I’m still at a loss. My car from factory has VAQ, PP brakes and no DCC.

I’m embarrassed to admit that it took me several months of daily driving and an entire track day to figure out that holding down the ASR button for several seconds puts ESC into limited mode!!! ?

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

The answer is do both.

sloopercat

Go Kart Newbie
so do all facelift come with the 20mm solid bar?

I would say no, otherwise my window sticker would not have noted a larger rear bar with the experience package. As to what size is on what trims/options, that’s above my knowledge base. I was hoping somebody had all the various MK7 and 7.5 option details on a spreadsheet broken down by trim, option and year. Having a conversation about some of the details between owners can get confusing. Seems VW have made changes and swapped specs around a lot.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
So how do you mess with the vectoring setting?

Curious how you can turn the ESC off as well?

You buy or find someone close with obdeleven.

Clem604

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 VW GTI
So how do you mess with the vectoring setting?
Curious how you can turn the ESC off as well?
You need an OBD11 or VCDS, the instructions are below for the vectoring setting.
SmartSelect_20180711-120639_Gallery.jpg

Last edited: