GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

'21 GTI Impressions, Hits, & Misses

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
The only exception I'd make to an all black 911 interior is some variation of the R herringbone seats.
Looks like Houndstooth to me.

Honestly I think any mfr can make nice seats in just about any finish, but the dash, wheel, console, door cards... most of 'em are gross in a colour scheme that's not black. Especially Porsche's caramel coloured leather, or blue. Horrible.

Fourflys

Car(s)
2016 Autobahn DSG
The GTI interior looks much better with plaid. I'd love to see some Alcantara in the doors, shift boot and ebrake though.
I love the look of the plaid, but two things that make me glad I didn't get it...

1. after a long day of mtn or road bike riding/hiking, I hate getting back in a cloth car because of sweat/etc that gets in the cloth (even after changing shirts, etc)... plus if you keep a car long enough, you will spill something... leather is so easy to just wipe off/clean.

2. Since my car was the Autobahn when I got it (just the way it worked out), I love love LOVE the fully adjustable driver's seat! I don't think that was an option with the plaid... that was always the main thing that gave me pause on previous GTIs, the lack of adjustability on the S or SE (maybe I just have weird proportions).

But, if you don't care about either of the above, the plaid is fantastic!

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
I love the look of the plaid, but two things that make me glad I didn't get it...

1. after a long day of mtn or road bike riding/hiking, I hate getting back in a cloth car (even after changing shirts, etc)... plus if you keep a car long enough, you will spill something... leather is so easy to just wipe off/clean.

2. Since my car was the Autobahn when I got it (just the way it worked out), I love love LOVE the fully adjustable driver's seat! I don't think that was an option with the plaid... that was always the main thing that gave me pause on previous GTIs, the lack of adjustability on the S or SE (maybe I just have weird proportions).

But, if you don't care about either of the above, the plaid is fantastic!

Mine's an Autobahn also, and these are very good seats, in pretty good leather. Not too soft, plenty deep enough, red stitching looks cool. I have no complaints.

I would still have preferred plaid, because GTI.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Funny, had both interiors and after a long, hot bike ride, love the cloth. Hated the pleather. Easy to clean, cool in the summer, seat heaters are 2x nicer in the winter. Just about perfect. Would love plaid door cards, but haven't found them yet.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
I think what would have set the interior off PERFECTLY with style, would be just one of the horizontal bars in the leather seats to be covered instead with plaid cloth. Or at least a little plaid cloth GTI tag on the seam in the side bolsters. The little Swedish flags in a Volvo look cool.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
I was thinking about getting the roof from the sunroof to the hatch wrapped in black to match the front portion, but then... I had a different idea.

What about a German flag in that area - Black, Red, Gold? Whaddaya think? Should I? Should the black bar go against the sunroof, or against the hatch?

rip steakface

Go Kart Newbie
I was thinking about getting the roof from the sunroof to the hatch wrapped in black to match the front portion, but then... I had a different idea.

What about a German flag in that area - Black, Red, Gold? Whaddaya think? Should I? Should the black bar go against the sunroof, or against the hatch?
i think i like this idea! i would do the black against the sunroof, if it's a perfect match. or maybe the existing black is all you need, just ad the red and gold going back? not sure if the existing black is a 3rd of the roof or not...

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
I did the back half of the roof in gloss black. Best $200 ever spent.

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
i think i like this idea! i would do the black against the sunroof, if it's a perfect match. or maybe the existing black is all you need, just ad the red and gold going back? not sure if the existing black is a 3rd of the roof or not...
The existing black is from the windshield to the back edge of the sunroof - about half the roof. IDK why VW didn't just black the whole roof, or leave the whole thing body colour? Now that I say it, I think the pattern needs to start with gold at the sunroof, red, then black around the antenna and up to the spoiler.

OBP

Go Kart Newbie
You're correct; if VW had just tweaked the size/shape of the cover and those cubby dividers by about 1cm, the cover would just drop right in...

I'm a bit workflow-obsessed, so extra steps like this give me Forrest Whittaker eye for a minute.
Or you can simply hang the cargo cover behind the front seats. 🤷‍♂️

dequardo

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
‘21 GLI Autobahn GLI
The existing black is from the windshield to the back edge of the sunroof - about half the roof. IDK why VW didn't just black the whole roof, or leave the whole thing body colour? Now that I say it, I think the pattern needs to start with gold at the sunroof, red, then black around the antenna and up to the spoiler.
You’ve already changed your mind yet are telling VW what they should do? Ok. 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

GenX Retread

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2021 GTI Autobahn
Mega-miss: No fuse box legend. Manual offers an excuse rather than a diagram. Apparently VW feels that I should pay a visit to my dealer to get a list of fuse locations.

Chogokin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI Sport | Audi A3
Mega-miss: No fuse box legend. Manual offers an excuse rather than a diagram. Apparently VW feels that I should pay a visit to my dealer to get a list of fuse locations.

Haha...that's a miss. I was looking for that when was installing my boost gauge and radar detector. Good thing is that you can easily find it online.