GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

20k service tomm...

HalfGerman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Coolant is at min mark, going to have them pressure test system. Have vertical lines in infotainment screen. According to service advisor " VW got a batch of bad screens, we usually stock 'em". Already did the pollen filter this fall. Given the way it looked, prob a yearly thing for me. Will update after the appointment. '18 Golf R

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Coolant is at min mark, going to have them pressure test system. Have vertical lines in infotainment screen. According to service advisor " VW got a batch of bad screens, we usually stock 'em". Already did the pollen filter this fall. Given the way it looked, prob a yearly thing for me. Will update after the appointment. '18 Golf R

Have them visually check the thermostat housing for leaking. Plenty of guys in the forum passed the pressure test when their thermostat housing was leaking. That also is probably the number 1 problem the Golf has had.

reallypeacedoff

Ready to race!
Have them visually check the thermostat housing for leaking. Plenty of guys in the forum passed the pressure test when their thermostat housing was leaking. That also is probably the number 1 problem the Golf has had.

This. Mine failed at 10k and it took until 35k for them to finally find it and replace it. Often times they self seal so they pass the pressure test. Have them check to see if it is crusty ie leaking at all.

2slowvw

Car(s)
2022 Tesla Model 3
You can usually look from underneath and see dried up coolant all over the place if it is a decent leak.

HalfGerman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Had them look at the thermostat housing and they did pressure test system, found nothing. I will personally keep a close eye on it . At least it was documented. Screen was replaced and no lines. Most noticeable when on a navigation map, did not see the lines otherwise.

Had them do an oil change too. I get to go back as they put in 0W-20 oil. :oops: I get that almost all other new VW's take that oil, but seriously? Pay attention! Did not see it until I got home and looked closer at the paperwork.

CharT99

0W-20 will be too thin as soon as the car warms up. My Golf R manual specs 5W-30 or 5W-40, so your statement might be true if they had mistakenly put 0W-30.

HalfGerman

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 Golf R
Final update,

Called two days later and pointed out the 0w-20 oil weight, got " running change, based on your VIN..." didn't buy it. So decided to do my own research, two other dealers pretty much said what I knew, 502.00 or 504.00. Online manual has same thing for '18 and '19 R's 502 or 504. My underhood sticker also has 502 or504. So I went in to the dealer today. Got same story from service advisor. However, he did say VW keeps switching weights on other cars, we can double check with Parts dept, they can pull up more info.

So I do and it turns out I am right. While getting the oil changed ( for second time now) there was a '19 R in the showroom, pop the hood and it says 0w-30 & 504 spec ( which is close, but doesn't match manual). Manual on the '19 has different specs for Golf R, GTI, and Golf ( my '18 manual just stated 502, 503, 504 with no model breakdown) has 502 or 504 for Golf R and now they list 508 for the GTI.

Service adv said the Tiguan in '18 had 3 different specs during production run. Surprised there is not more confusion with oils. He did say they went with lighter oil to keep the VVT sensors happy.