GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2022 Mk8 R reservations?

sbviir

Car(s)
2017 VW Golf R
Apologies if this has been covered before.. wasn't able to find anything.

Has anything been released that says when you can start ordering Mk8 R's in the US? I'm looking to get one ordered when available and start to get all the parts off my 7R.

VDubberinDE

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 VW Golf R
People have put in orders at my dealer already. I was talking to them about it the other day, but they are just taking them as they come from factory , no special orders.
They have 4 presold already.

fast16

Passed Driver's Ed
Spoke to a few dealerships in Seattle and they are taking pre-orders but again some are asking for a 1k deposit and have 6 already pre sold but then the other dealerships have like 25 on the list and don't require a deposit.

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
I keep hearing about these "presold" and "reserved" cars. Not sure how that's possible considering the price of the car wasn't even released until a few days ago.

A friend of mine sells cars for VW in the greater Phoenix area and told me they don't know when they are getting the R nor are they taking any kind of deposit. I have a feeling these other dealerships are just saying this shit to use as leverage.

Last edited:

fast16

Passed Driver's Ed
I keep hearing about these "presold" and "reserved" cars. Not sure how that's possible considering the price of the car wasn't even released until a few days ago.

A friend of mine sells cars for VW in the greater Phoenix area and told me they don't know when they are getting the R nor are they taking any kind of deposit. I have a feeling these other dealerships are just saying this shit to use as leverage.
Pricing was released couple weeks back. We're not going to get any direction on allocations until at least beginning/Mid August. Keep in mind VW is still sticking to their guns as far as when we'll see the first R's land state side which is Quarter 4. October 1st is the first day of the new quarter so word going around is that by end of November/beginning of December we'll see the first R's. I think once allocations start opening up then pre sold cars will obviously get priority.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
When I bought my new 2016 R I told my salesperson I wanted NAV/DCC, DAP and DSG, and gave him two colors I could live with. You can't get a "built to order" R, VW builds a mix of colors and transmissions, and in 2016 DAP and NAV/DCC were options. We still don't know if there will be any relevant options, unless someone here knows. All I read on the press release was there were going to be built one way and only three colors will be available, Pure White, Black and Lapiz Blue. The cars are built and made available to the dealers in their region on the VW dealer's website. They can try to take them as they become available, BASED ON THEIR ALLOCATION. Large dealers get more, because it's based on how many they sold in the past. So I get a phone call they were able to take it for their inventory. It came in a couple of weeks later and I bought it. They were selling at MSPR. So unless the procedures have changed that's the way it should be for the MK8 in the US. When you talk pre-sold, all it means is you're among those who get first dibs. If you're not picky about color or transmission you stand a better chance of getting one sooner. I was very lucky, I got my first choice. When I did the math based on options, I figure mine is about one of 100 built. That's not very unusual with only about 5,000 built in I think five colors at the time. If you have a 2016 with manual it's probably a little "rarer". Figure new ones with DSG are going to be about $46K or so. If they're loaded up with the dumb options, and freight isn't included in VW's advertised price figure another grand. That's if they don't put on an Additional Market whatever sticker and other unnecessary options to bump the price to the mid-$50K.

Last edited:

aloha_from_bradley

Autocross Champion
Pricing was released couple weeks back. We're not going to get any direction on allocations until at least beginning/Mid August. Keep in mind VW is still sticking to their guns as far as when we'll see the first R's land state side which is Quarter 4. October 1st is the first day of the new quarter so word going around is that by end of November/beginning of December we'll see the first R's. I think once allocations start opening up then pre sold cars will obviously get priority.

Well, yeah. You just described what happens when a new model hits the US. Some models hit as early as the summer, others closer to Q4.

The pricing was released exactly 11 days ago at the Chicago auto show.

I've been told directly from multiple dealerships and personal friends who work for VW not to expect the car until Q1 of 2022. So, I'm not really sure exactly where word is going around other than hearsay. I'm seriously considering the MK8 R, and I've been looking for ways to reserve one. Every dealership I've contacted has told me the same thing. "We don't know when the cars are arriving, and you can't buy one yet."

I realize this isn't the first time you've been able to reserve a car. Obviously preorders happen for new models all the time. My point is that I'm just not able to substantiate any of the rumors or other mentioning, including what's in this thread.

Can someone chime in that has actually ordered a car? Whether that means a deposit or "pre-sale"

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Well, yeah. You just described what happens what a new model hits the US. Some models hit as early as the summer, others closer to Q4.

The pricing was released exactly 11 days ago at the Chicago auto show.

I've been told directly from multiple dealerships and personal friends who work for VW not to expect the car until Q1 of 2022. So, I'm not really sure exactly where word is going around other than hearsay. I'm seriously considering the MK8 R, and I've been looking for ways to reserve one. Every dealership I've contacted has told me the same thing. "We don't know what the cars are arriving, and you can't buy one yet."

I realize this isn't the first time you've been able to reserve a car. Obviously preorders happen for new models all the time. My point is that I'm just not able to substantiate any of the rumors or other mentioning, including what's in this thread.

Can someone chime in that has actually ordered a car? Whether that means a deposit or "pre-sale"
Same here. The dealers I asked all said they definitely aren't getting any R's until next year and can't take pre-orders.

Al_in_Philly

Autocross Newbie
In spring of 2014 when VW had released the R in Europe, I put an order in (along with a $1,000 check to be held in escroe) with my VW dealer for whenever they would come to the US at VW's MSRP. We both thought that would be that. Then VWOA came up with their midnight on-line pre-ordering scheme that December(?) for the first 500 (with no promise of how many more would come in that calendar year), where all 500 were sold out before 10 AM the next morning. Fortunately, I scrambled and managed to snag one that night. Had I not done so, my "contract" with my dealer wouldn't have been worth the paper it had been written on. The point is, yes, you can put in an order with your dealer, but that may or may not get you a car if VWOA has other plans.

fast16

Passed Driver's Ed
@aloha_from_bradley

As far as the chip shortage, I keep asking that question and so far the answer is... no impact at this time to production. Time will tell, but there is nothing firm to point to yet that there will be delayed production for the US market.

Straight from a internal source from VW.

The Fed

Old Guys Rule
@aloha_from_bradley

As far as the chip shortage, I keep asking that question and so far the answer is... no impact at this time to production. Time will tell, but there is nothing firm to point to yet that there will be delayed production for the US market.

Straight from a internal source from VW.
Worst case scenario that's 5,000 GTIs that don't get built.