GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2022 Golf R - 315HP 310lb/ft TQ

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Oh, and I only say this from experience and the stupidity of youth.

Yep, I curbed my track wheels. I'm going to repair them, but move them to street use. It's easy for me because my street and track stop were same wheels, RSE16s.

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Still wouldn't want to do a lot of vMax runs with a repaired rim, or really attack some rumble strips, but totally fine for just terrorizing back roads and such.

maybe I’m not following but not seeing the concern from repairing minor cosmetic damage.

I also did a half mile event with a cracked neuspeed rse10 that I had no idea was damaged. Miracle nothing happened and f neuspeed and their weak ass barrels.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE - 3 Pedals
maybe I’m not following but not seeing the concern from repairing minor cosmetic damage.
What you (or I) would call minor cosmetic damage can still require much larger areas of the wheel to be altered to provide suitable area for the repair to be done. There are some places that will only fill the existing damage, but others will grind down larger areas to get a proper footing for the repair. The first approach is obviously preferable from a strength and safety standpoint, but the latter tends to look better cosmetically and be more in line with what most customers expect. It's so hard to know how severe the repair efforts used were, which is why I'd simply just toss any curbed rim and start over. I repaired rims that were then powdercoated (introducing further stress), only to have part of the lip separate on a track day. No damage, no injuries, just a good amount of luck. But this is sort of like talking about car warranties or daily vitamins, you do you and you'll almost certainly be fine, just voicing my experience, for the self acknowledged lack of worth of doing so.

RudyH

Go Kart Newbie
When are the MK8's arriving in North America? lol
Still haven't seen a single post. I was told mid November, for a small batch...and most people are saying March when they will receive there's.

I'm waiting to see what tuning and what parts are swappable. Most importantly I want to see what difference the rear diff makes!

---what I am waiting for, and I'm sure people will shake their head
but I think I want a DSG, the 6MT was fun, and there are days I love it and hate it, but I never entirely missed it in my B8 S4 with it's DCT...
I keep thinking too that a RS3 isn't entirely needed to have fun, when I put an effort to drive the speed limit the R is fine...Stage 2 is great, with a turbo tweak in the future
after sitting in the 8Y S3, I am not sure if I like it that much more than my MK7.5 interior except for the seats and the GUI, I kind of like the lack of plastic and more soft touch points in my MK7.5 R...MK8?
the rear diff is otherwise the only reason I would get the MK8 R...with the Wavetrac LSD, rear sway bar and Haldex tune, the car handles pretty great...

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 R
Still haven't seen a single post. I was told mid November, for a small batch...and most people are saying March when they will receive there's.

I'm waiting to see what tuning and what parts are swappable. Most importantly I want to see what difference the rear diff makes!

but I think I want a DSG, the 6MT was fun, and there are days I love it and hate it, but I never entirely missed it in my B8 S4 with it's DCT...
I keep thinking too that a RS3 isn't entirely needed to have fun, when I put an effort to drive the speed limit the R is fine...Stage 2 is great, with a turbo tweak in the future
after sitting in the 8Y S3, I am not sure if I like it that much more than my MK7.5 interior except for the seats and the GUI, I kind of like the lack of plastic and more soft touch points in my MK7.5 R...MK8?
the rear diff is otherwise the only reason I would get the MK8 R...I can likely even buy the MK8 R seats and bolt them right in, looks like the memory is even on the seat chassis...
I see updates on reddit kinda frequently. It sounds like GTIs might start arriving next week, but the R might be as far as june/july next year.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG

the rear diff is otherwise the only reason I would get the MK8 R...with the Wavetrac LSD, rear sway bar and Haldex tune, the car handles pretty great...

All suspension/brake parts should be swappable. I already started making a build list for the R if I buy one, won't be till after 1st model year though.

The car seems like it will be extremely capable. With a few small mods you get 3300lb car with 450hp, 265s all square, AWD and 7spd DSG. That is going to be quick. I am debating between a MK8R or Camaro SS 1LE. Depends how much practicality I want to sacrifice.

RudyH

Go Kart Newbie
a bit of a disappointing review tbh

Very basic standard stats, and no mention of the rear diff, how quick around a track either is. Sure the Type-R has stickier tires then the R, so it had an extra 0.02 on the skid bad? That's sad to be honest...

All suspension/brake parts should be swappable. I already started making a build list for the R if I buy one, won't be till after 1st model year though.

The car seems like it will be extremely capable. With a few small mods you get 3300lb car with 450hp, 265s all square, AWD and 7spd DSG. That is going to be quick. I am debating between a MK8R or Camaro SS 1LE. Depends how much practicality I want to sacrifice.
Ya I think that's why I am excited to see it, but it's a hurry up and wait...

With so many complaints about the info system, you would want to wait or hope VW does some updates that you are allowed to receive. I REALLY like the system they have in the MK7.5, very simple and easy. I am still curious to see too what the 'shortcuts' around the 4-way flashers does. I feel like many reviewers don't understand those buttons...and all this is a mute point