GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2022 Golf R - 315HP 310lb/ft TQ

aloha_from_bradley

Drag Racing Champion
The Pretoria's were a gem. I had a gloss black set in 19s until Firestone grabbed the inside drum of the wheel to install tires. Never have I seen so much damage done to the inside of a wheel before. Was as if there were no guards, just metal on metal, and the wheel slipped as the tire was installed.

Top that off with filling the damage with a plastic type body filler instead of using metal filler when they sent the wheels out for repair. I ended up having to file a claim. Disappointed to this day.

aloha_from_bradley

Drag Racing Champion
Just reading that makes me cringe. I've learned my lesson that all wheel repairs are bad, at least when it comes to tracking. Just get a new wheel, there's nothing to be gained from even the best repair efforts.

Can't agree with this more. Just sucks that genuine Prets in a 19 are close to $900 each.

schwab0

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
VW
better deal than an S3 at $55k ... I'd pick the Golf R over Audi any day of the week. Now RS3 is a different story (i'm still trying to order one LOL).

RudyH

Go Kart Newbie
Can't agree with this more. Just sucks that genuine Prets in a 19 are close to $900 each.

When you look at the weight, for a 19" wheel it is pretty good. Finding replacements is pretty easy on the forums / Facebook

That said, I just refinished mine for $100 each and they look good as new in bronze...and bought a set of 4 off someone for $1,000 CDN ($250 each) /w some usage, nothing you can't easily polish up. So if I bend a wheel got another 4 sitting in my garage attic.

Last edited:

aloha_from_bradley

Drag Racing Champion
When you look at the weight, for a 19" wheel it is pretty good. Finding replacements is pretty easy on the forums / Facebook

That said, I just refinished mine for $100 each and they look good as new in bronze...and bought a set of 4 off someone for $1,000 CDN ($250 each) /w some usage, nothing you can't easily polish up. So if I bend a wheel got another 4 sitting in my garage attic.

Wow, that's a great price. I've been keeping an eye out for a set and haven't been able to find much. Some very expensive / overpriced sets are pretty common to find hanging around, but I'm not dropping 2-3k on a set. Rather save my $$ and get an offset that fits the car better.

aloha_from_bradley

Drag Racing Champion
I talked to Lunde's Peoria on Friday during my service visit for the Tiguan.

They will be selling the MK8 R & GTI at MSRP. You also have the choice on dealer addons, they won't come standard. Pretty fair if you ask me.

The dealership is taking deposits now as well. $1000 down, fully refundable at any time. If you are considering a MK8 R or GTI and live in the greater Phoenix area, Lunde's is the place to go.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
18 GTI SE - 3 Pedals
Wheel

wheel protection packages are the only thing I consider when talking to the dealer finance guys. Had two wheels redone and one tire replaced on my last car in under a year and a half.
Just be careful with refinished wheels. The refinishing process involves adding aluminum to a damaged wheel and they are not heat treated back to original strength, by the very nature of the process. They're generally fine for reasonable speeds for street use, but I'd highly recommend only using non repaired wheels for track use.

RudyH

Go Kart Newbie
Wow, that's a great price. I've been keeping an eye out for a set and haven't been able to find much. Some very expensive / overpriced sets are pretty common to find hanging around, but I'm not dropping 2-3k on a set. Rather save my $$ and get an offset that fits the car better.
There's a lot currently, but local is often the issue
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...mounted-pirelli-p-zero-235-35-r19-91y.387933/

There is a good picture explanation about damaged wheels,
https://www.golfmk7.com/forums/inde...-set-of-4-2-damaged-2-great-condition.389480/

But ya, check craigslist?? we use Kijji here in Canada commonly, if your paying over $1,000 you are doing it wrong - looks like even bronze powder coated are $1800 /w rubber
https://www.kijiji.ca/b-ontario/pretoria/k0l9004?rb=true&dc=true

Fastlax16

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2019 DBP R
Just be careful with refinished wheels. The refinishing process involves adding aluminum to a damaged wheel and they are not heat treated back to original strength, by the very nature of the process. They're generally fine for reasonable speeds for street use, but I'd highly recommend only using non repaired wheels for track use.

It was curbrash not cracks. I’d never allow a crack to be repaired and put back on my car.