Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2015 GTI
"despite being up to 130 pounds heavier. "

Jumpy

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
'18 GTI Autobahn
Looking forward to the official reveal tomorrow.

Nappy216

Ready to race!
All U.S.-bound Golf Rs will be offered in a single fully loaded trim level, with a sunroof, leather seats, and lots of other standard features. When it arrives near the end of 2021, buyers will only choose exterior color and transmission.

Noooo. Flame me if you want but I choose a GTI over R because of the sunroof. If the US MK8 Golf R has a sunroof I will be sooo tempted.

Lager_Ace

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2017 Golf R
Sun roof should be an option. NO more sun roofs for me. Just hope that I can order without a sun roof.
I thought I'd miss a sunroof but I don't. Another option should be that Akrapoić exhaust, I'd pay for that.

RudyH

Go Kart Newbie
All U.S.-bound Golf Rs will be offered in a single fully loaded trim level, with a sunroof, leather seats, and lots of other standard features. When it arrives near the end of 2021, buyers will only choose exterior color and transmission.

Noooo. Flame me if you want but I choose a GTI over R because of the sunroof. If the US MK8 Golf R has a sunroof I will be sooo tempted.

lol, I am the same. This is the first car I have had without a sunroof, and I miss it a lot. The seats are a plus that I would want as well. Brakes look quite interesting!

Otherwise, the videos of the 'drift mode' are pretty lame, but don't get me wrong, I would have loved a rear 'sports diff' like I had in my B8 S4. It doesn't look like it will let go though enough to have fun like the more RWD biased AWD system. I ordered a Wavetrac, and I think this is more better from a performance standpoint then the more 'marketable' rear sports diff.

- skip to 3:50 for the Golf R and 7:45ish for the drift mode

That said the other stuff like the spring rates in the rear and rear sway bar...I did that already to my R, and yes I need new control arm bushings - but that made a HUGE difference in the MK7, so I mean I spent money to fix those issues, I am sure a new owner of the MK8 will love that stuff.

q74

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
R
that "drift mode" looks weak, even on wet tarmac they showed it with.