GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2022 Formula 1 Season

GolNat

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
13 GTI & 98 Prelude
I guess the cars don’t have hand brakes? It was painful watching him try to get out and the car ket wanting to roll back.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
hand brakes are unnecessary weight yo! the cars didn't even have reverse gears until within the past decade

Dents27

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
'19 Autobahn GTI

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
hand brakes are unnecessary weight yo! the cars didn't even have reverse gears until within the past decade
80's they had them; reverse gears were so small/narrow for the sake of weight savings, that if engaged, could break and lock the trans up. It was a big enough of a deterrent for drivers to just flat out not use it.

Now it's just the hybrid battery doing the starter I think.
Yep.

Found these interesting.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Cool stats, I was always curious about an apples-to-apples points comparison with champions across history. Really puts into perspective how legendary people like Clark, Fangio and Ascari were.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
When you think about the type of race car they were driving and the lack of safety from every aspect, they all really had quite a pair of ballasts.

Curious of other people opinions, what's more impressive? the drivers records from back then or the recent drivers like MSC/Ham?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Curious of other people opinions, what's more impressive? the drivers records from back then or the recent drivers like MSC/Ham?
I'm not comfortable grouping Hammy with MSC. MSC is closer to the old era to me. I still hold Senna above all, just in terms of talent and the ability to extract the most from things.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI

To me, the older drivers/teams will always be more impressive. Less engineering refinement, reliability? what's that?, racing was a lot more dangerous back then, drivers were truly wrestling the car sometimes. Drivers would come out of the car exhausted after races, and sometimes just pass out (I think Mansell passed out after a particularly hot GP, may have been the Dallas or Phoenix GP).
Like you say, driving required a lot more "ballast" back then. So knowing the risk and still tackling head on is very, very impressive to me. Back when there were still 3 pedals and a shift knob -- 180+ mph into a corner, handling massive decel G forces with one hand on the wheel, downshifting with the other one.

That's not to say the new drivers have it easy, or that they aren't facing risk anymore -- horrible, horrible crashes still happen. They also have to manage SO much more on the car than the old guard did. Being a constant conduit between the car and the pit wall for minor software changes, etc., adjusting brake bias per corner, changing engine/charging modes, etc., etc. The new cars are so much more complex. Driving a '60s-'80s F1 car is a different skillset to driving '10s-'20s F1 car.

Partway through I realized I misunderstood the question, but I'm still leaving it all up. The records aren't the be-all, end-all to me because stats don't paint the full picture, imo. Luck is still very much a part of F1, despite all the technological advancements and increased reliability/safety. So y'know, drivers who only won 1, 2, or 3 WDCs are every bit as impressive to me as those who won 4, 5 and more.

g-magoo

Autocross Champion
I'm not comfortable grouping Hammy with MSC. MSC is closer to the old era to me. I still hold Senna above all, just in terms of talent and the ability to extract the most from things.
Fair enough, I'm just pulling two of the most recent 'goats' out of a hat there. I think Torga nailed it though. It'll forever be impossible to truly compare different eras.

To me, the older drivers/teams will always be more impressive. Less engineering refinement, reliability? what's that?, racing was a lot more dangerous back then, drivers were truly wrestling the car sometimes. Drivers would come out of the car exhausted after races, and sometimes just pass out (I think Mansell passed out after a particularly hot GP, may have been the Dallas or Phoenix GP).
Like you say, driving required a lot more "ballast" back then. So knowing the risk and still tackling head on is very, very impressive to me. Back when there were still 3 pedals and a shift knob -- 180+ mph into a corner, handling massive decel G forces with one hand on the wheel, downshifting with the other one.

That's not to say the new drivers have it easy, or that they aren't facing risk anymore -- horrible, horrible crashes still happen. They also have to manage SO much more on the car than the old guard did. Being a constant conduit between the car and the pit wall for minor software changes, etc., adjusting brake bias per corner, changing engine/charging modes, etc., etc. The new cars are so much more complex. Driving a '60s-'80s F1 car is a different skillset to driving '10s-'20s F1 car.

Partway through I realized I misunderstood the question, but I'm still leaving it all up. The records aren't the be-all, end-all to me because stats don't paint the full picture, imo. Luck is still very much a part of F1, despite all the technological advancements and increased reliability/safety. So y'know, drivers who only won 1, 2, or 3 WDCs are every bit as impressive to me as those who won 4, 5 and more.
I think the answer was spot on. No one should go off numbers alone, F1 is always about luck. Sometimes you get into the right team at the start of a new set of regs, sometimes you don't make it out of F2.

The physical aspect then is so different to now. I think of Senna at Brazil in '91; barely being able to lift the trophy, after lugging around his car in 6th gear for the last 6-7 laps. All the wrestling 750hp to 1000+hp with one hand and no power steering in a zero crumble-zone aluminum/carbon coffin gets over looked. Today is still dangerous, but not anywhere near what it was, those guys back then legit made peace with dying every time they strapped in. We'd be a few drivers short if not for recent safety changes too (halo).

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Stroll looks like a Monster energy never leaves his hand. Probably listens to Insane Clown Posse.