GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2021 HPDE Plans

How many HPDE days do you plan for 2021?

• Total voters

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
How has the Cayman been treating you? Funny enough I recently helped one of the members here setup his GTI for track use, and he was coming FROM a Cayman S that gave him some problems.

PIR is on my to do list, I told myself this year I would schedule some road trips to far away tracks, but haven't gotten around to it. Need to do that soon.

The car has been awesome. I am finally starting to learn how to be fast in it. I need to adjust my corner entry speeds upwards from what they were in the R because the car will hold a lot more speed mid-corner. The car is very neutral handling, although I am now pushing it hard enough that the rear end is starting to step out a little. A little counter steering tucks it right back in.

I was up at the Ridge near Olympia, WA in August, and then I'm at PIR next month. I drove Oregon Raceway Park in Sept 2019. I plan to relocate to the Portland area next year in advance of retiring there in 2023-2024 so I am familiarizing myself with the local tracks. PIR stands a good chance of being wet, which would make it my first rain day in the Cayman.

Will_

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI S DSG
The car has been awesome. I am finally starting to learn how to be fast in it. I need to adjust my corner entry speeds upwards from what they were in the R because the car will hold a lot more speed mid-corner. The car is very neutral handling, although I am now pushing it hard enough that the rear end is starting to step out a little. A little counter steering tucks it right back in.

I was up at the Ridge near Olympia, WA in August, and then I'm at PIR next month. I drove Oregon Raceway Park in Sept 2019. I plan to relocate to the Portland area next year in advance of retiring there in 2023-2024 so I am familiarizing myself with the local tracks. PIR stands a good chance of being wet, which would make it my first rain day in the Cayman.

Awesome, glad to hear it is all going well.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Super excited for the release of the C8 Z06. 🤣

FB_IMG_1635273138569.jpg

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
A couple years ago, I'd never run Daytona or with the group running the event, so got stuck in novice. I lapped a C7 Z06, several GT350's, a Viper, and 2 ZL1's in a stock GTI off the showroom with the AS tires and stock pads/fluid. Hadn't even made it passed breakin.

There was a stg 2 WRX and RS on 200tw running similar times, at least I had a couple cars to hang with. It was 3 economy hatchbacks dodging 500+hp cars.

Couldn't keep up with the RS3 or the AMG C class that ran in the group though.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
I got stuck behind a 5.0 Mustang. She would refuse to give a point by to anyone. Actually I was the 4th car beyond her. There was a line of 6 cars behind her. Not sure what she was thinking and why her instructor didn't advise her to give the point by or she just refused. No blue flags either.

2nd session, I got stuck behind her with a Viper in front of me (maybe Corvette). She finally gives the point by on the back straight. He passes. She gives me the point by, but keeps it floored, so I can't pass of course. So stayed behind her. Wth. Oh well. Finally passed on the front straight I think.

R Golf

Go Kart Champion
Slow cars or drivers who don't check mirrors are an issue in all run groups, even advanced. It has no bearing on the type of car. It is far worse with drivers who recently got signed off because they are so focused on the line.

Best bet, if it's a problem for more than a lap, is to pit to get some room (pit out will find you space), and if it's agregious notify pit out and they'll talk to them. (Nicely at first,)

If they check mirrors it's never an issue. We'll be in point by mode many times over the years, so patience and pitting are the best solutions.

MonkeyMD

Autocross Champion
Slow cars or drivers who don't check mirrors are an issue in all run groups, even advanced. It has no bearing on the type of car. It is far worse with drivers who recently got signed off because they are so focused on the line.

Best bet, if it's a problem for more than a lap, is to pit to get some room (pit out will find you space), and if it's agregious notify pit out and they'll talk to them. (Nicely at first,)

If they check mirrors it's never an issue. We'll be in point by mode many times over the years, so patience and pitting are the best solutions.

Forgot about that. My instructor actually had me do that in my first session. Pit, wait 30s or so, then head out, but we caught up to everyone soon anyway

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion

It was a joke. Thank you for coming to my TED talk. 🤣