GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2021 GTI S Question

JBW56

Car(s)
GTI Mark7.5
I recently purchased a new 2021 GTI S and found that the vehicle was not equipped with a wheel well liner. Also, the interior metal in the wheel well was never painted to match the cars exterior. The finish appears to be primer only. Is this the new normal or is it a big mistake on VW’s part? I contacted VW Customer Care but they seem to be avoiding the issue. Any input on this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
I recently purchased a new 2021 GTI S and found that the vehicle was not equipped with a wheel well liner. Also, the interior metal in the wheel well was never painted to match the cars exterior. The finish appears to be primer only. Is this the new normal or is it a big mistake on VW’s part? I contacted VW Customer Care but they seem to be avoiding the issue. Any input on this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Uhhh. Is there one in the other fender? Sounds very fishy.

acorazza

Go Kart Newbie
Car(s)
2018 GTI 6MT
I believe they took the lining out in 2017. Mine is 2018 so no lining but it is painted. Not sure about 2021.

Sparky589

Drag Racing Champion
Dieselgate took a few bites out of the Mk7 that's for sure.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Dieselgate took a few bites out of the Mk7 that's for sure.

Which really says a lot , because it's still a damn nice car that is more reliable, powerful, and efficient than any previous model. My 2019 Alltrack is not decontented, my car still has felt liner in the door cards, spare tire well storage etc. For some reason, I can not remember whether it came with the weather strip under the hood and I removed it or it came without... Owned 3 MK7s, it's a blur lol.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
So no one knows?
what do you mean no one knows? practically every single person who responded to this unanimously said the same thing. I didn't even read the other responses before I posted mine and then realized 4 other people already said dieselgate. It's true, and it's real. VW had to skimp everywhere they could post-dieselgate. I believe the estimated cost is north of 30 billion, probably much higher in sales lost

JBW56

Car(s)
GTI Mark7.5
So if I understand you correctly, anything that might have been overlooked in the production process or malfunctioning with your warranted vehicle is related to Diesel-gate?

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
So if I understand you correctly, anything that might have been overlooked in the production process or malfunctioning with your warranted vehicle is related to Diesel-gate?

no, that’s not what I’m saying, and it’s not what I said.

your car has been decontented. You haven’t posted a picture, but your description sounds like a known piece of decontenting, the elimination of the spare wheel well liner.

I can’t speak to the paint. If you wanna bring it to dealer and compare to another like-model, would be a good way to tell

Keehs360

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Mk7.5
what do you mean no one knows? practically every single person who responded to this unanimously said the same thing. I didn't even read the other responses before I posted mine and then realized 4 other people already said dieselgate. It's true, and it's real. VW had to skimp everywhere they could post-dieselgate. I believe the estimated cost is north of 30 billion, probably much higher in sales lost
My GTI and gli didn’t include the road side kit.

@Javwohl had a spare and let me keep his.

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion

I have a 2021 SE and my spare tire well is thoroughly painted with the exterior color. Yours does sound like a production oversight and your concerns are well founded.

It might be awkward to negotiate, but if they refuse to underwrite having a body shop spray your spare tire well (which would be an easy and fairly inexpensive job I'd think), you might request that they send you a spare tire well liner, VW 5GM 863 007 CA9. If they refuse that, you might stop by a body shop to see how much they'd charge you for the job.