GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2021 Formula 1 Season

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Most of the likely scenarios involve Max winning the WDC. Someone ran a full statistical analysis on all possible scenarios and Max wins WDC in something like 82% of them. Basically, Max has to fuck up pretty bad for Lewis to win WDC. Whatever happens, this is gonna be tiiiiiiiiiight. Gonna be down to the wire like 2016 was, or Alonso's near misses in 2010 and 2012.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Most of the likely scenarios involve Max winning the WDC. Someone ran a full statistical analysis on all possible scenarios and Max wins WDC in something like 82% of them. Basically, Max has to fuck up pretty bad for Lewis to win WDC. Whatever happens, this is gonna be tiiiiiiiiiight. Gonna be down to the wire like 2016 was, or Alonso's near misses in 2010 and 2012.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
This is going to be good. No matter how you slice it, LH has an uphill battle. Like Rosberg says though, never count him out.
With this win and how the Mercedes car improved, I think he and Mercedes have a good shot both titles. I hope they do, I'm getting a bit tired of Horner whining (or maybe he will whine more). My .02 on Max, guy can drive but he is entitled, privileged kid who when he wins a championship won't be a "good" champion. Love him or hate him, Hami is a good champion. Hasn't played dirty to win, does his own thing, but promotes the sport and other activities in a positive manner.

Saabingti

Autocross Champion
My god. In case anyone needed a reminder on who's the GOAT, Brazil 2021 was it. Lewis unlocked the final chakras this weekend and shrugged off the ankle weights. Fresh engine or not, that was some insanely good driving.

I don't disagree, but when you've got something like a 30 kph speed advantage down the straights, overtaking becomes a lot easier. Insane that he could close a 1s gap just in a single portion of the track, instead of having to chase and then set up a move through the corners and deal with his tires and dirty air etc. With the caveat that I did not watch the whole race in one sitting (damn yardwork), it seemed like most of Hammy's important overtakes happened on the straight or in the fast corners. I wonder if there's info out there on who, when, and where he gained places.

Max was not behaving this weekend. I cannot believe nothing was done about the T4 shenanigans. I expect Merc to appeal that. Whether Max did it on purpose or not, none of us can really say. Worst case scenario, it was malicious. Best case scenario, his subconscious got a hold of him and he stopped thinking for a desperate few seconds. But in either scenario, he did open up that wheel, that's for sure. His line was fine and his tires were relatively fresh -- no other good reason to go wide like that. So surprised he got away with that.

The weaving, though, 100% unsportsman-like. That was on purpose. Glad he got shown the B&W flags for that.

Yeah, I've been rooting for him/RB because I've enjoyed seeing something other than HAM VER BOT or HAM BOT VER every weekend, but that was shit.

Lewis's seatbelt call was absolutely stupid, as well. Can't believe there was a small chance that would've affected his finishing position. It's almost like the stewards want everyone to hate them.

No Fun League

This is going to be good. No matter how you slice it, LH has an uphill battle. Like Rosberg says though, never count him out.
With this win and how the Mercedes car improved, I think he and Mercedes have a good shot both titles. I hope they do, I'm getting a bit tired of Horner whining (or maybe he will whine more). My .02 on Max, guy can drive but he is entitled, privileged kid who when he wins a championship won't be a "good" champion. Love him or hate him, Hami is a good champion. Hasn't played dirty to win, does his own thing, but promotes the sport and other activities in a positive manner.

With the remaining tracks, the pace advantage, and only a 5 spot grid penalty, Mercedes could just throw a new ICE in for every remaining race and turn it up to 12. GG EZ

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Yeah, I've been rooting for him/RB because I've enjoyed seeing something other than HAM VER BOT or HAM BOT VER every weekend, but that was shit.

1637077525728.png

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I don't disagree, but when you've got something like a 30 kph speed advantage down the straights, overtaking becomes a lot easier. Insane that he could close a 1s gap just in a single portion of the track, instead of having to chase and then set up a move through the corners and deal with his tires and dirty air etc. With the caveat that I did not watch the whole race in one sitting (damn yardwork), it seemed like most of Hammy's important overtakes happened on the straight or in the fast corners. I wonder if there's info out there on who, when, and where he gained places.

He was indeed faster, but the massive speed advantage was mostly only against the Red Bulls. So it's fairer to say that the Red Bulls just had too much downforce and lacked top speed. When you look at the weekend in terms of Ham's P25* to P1 charge, the speed advantage was a lot less relative to the rest of the field, as we saw from the speed traps.
1637077890532.png

It wasn't an easy weekend at all. Plus, the only reason most of his overtakes happened on straights or fast corners is because those are the almost only places on Interlagos that it makes sense to overtake. It's otherwise a notoriously difficult track to overtake.

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
Well, Max's T4 onboard video is out. This could be used by both RBR and Merc to argue their points

RBR: "See? Max didn't deliberately steer towards Lewis!"

Merc: "Ya, well he didn't deliberately steer towards the apex, either."

https://streamable.com/tp7dub

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
Well, Max's T4 onboard video is out. This could be used by both RBR and Merc to argue their points

RBR: "See? Max didn't deliberately steer towards Lewis!"

Merc: "Ya, well he didn't deliberately steer towards the apex, either."

https://streamable.com/tp7dub
He deserves a penalty for that. He's always treated his car as a weapon and has a disregard for safety that hasn't really been seen since Senna and Prost, with maybe an unintentional side of Ralf.

BlueHen

Drag Race Newbie

JC_451

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
The crazy weaving just a few laps later basically tells you the first incident was intentional.

The proof is just confirming that the stewards are at best; incompetent.

Anyone who watched could immediately see that Verstappen is tough to pass because he will crash into you (Dave Matthews) rather than cede the position. He wins either way if it's Ham he wrecks.

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I can forgive the T4 incident now that we see he didn't yank the wheel towards Lewis. As it is, to me, that's just hard racing. Both of them said as much in the post-race interviews.

I cannot forgive the weaving. That was blatant bad sportsmanship. That's some Mazepin-level, bush league stuff.

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I believe too turn 4 was hard racing. Many drivers have done the same a time or two. Max knew exactly what he was doing. If Lewis turned in & both DNF'd that would have been great for Max. Lets see what happens in the next three races. I'm thinking things may boil over.

Last edited:

torga

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'11 GTI
I believe do turn 4 was hard racing. Many drivers have done the same a time or two. Max knew exactly what he was doing. If Lewis turned in & both DNF'd that would have been great for Max. Lets see what happens in the next three races. I'm thinking things may boil over.

My favorite "he knows what'll happen if we crash" moment was Alonso overtaking Schumacher at 130R in 2005. When asked how he knew Michael would be respectful and keep things tidy during such a daring attack, he responded with something to the effect of "well, he's got kids, so...".

I'm all for the grey areas in the regs. Exploiting a driver's psyche is just as much a part of it all, and battles are that much better for it, in my opinion.

Edit: for those that haven't seen the balls on this guy

Last edited:

1ashchuckton

Autocross Champion
I think Max thought Lewis would back off at Silverstone. He got that one wrong. Lots of gamesmanship in racing, even in the peewee league SCCA stuff I used to do. :LOL: