El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
HF has raised prices. The daytona jacks are good but not as great a deal as they used to be.

#BrokeBois went for the low profile Pittsburgh one anyway. I ain't got that Daytona money!

Acadia18

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 Golf R
This is the recent one I got to replace the aluminum 2 ton HF jack that I’ve been using for the last 14-16 years before it’s started to leak.

https://www.harborfreight.com/autom...ional-rapid-pump-floor-jack-orange-64240.html

Super happy with it so far.

I have this one, and honestly I can't really tell what the difference between the two of them is besides $30. Which did use to be a bigger difference. I remember when I bought it, it was something like a $60 difference to 'upgrade' to the Daytona one.

https://harborfreight.com/automotiv...-low-profile-rapid-pump-floor-jack-56617.html

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
I have this one, and honestly I can't really tell what the difference between the two of them is besides $30. Which did use to be a bigger difference. I remember when I bought it, it was something like a $60 difference to 'upgrade' to the Daytona one.

https://harborfreight.com/automotiv...-low-profile-rapid-pump-floor-jack-56617.html
Yeah they seem to have tiny variances, guess like a tiny level of refinement , and Strength for heavier use. The Daytona pad is a quickly removable plate also for shops that use the saddle adapter.

E0209A79-3607-4A6C-BC1D-425EA75E3AD9.jpeg

Last edited:

sterkrazzy

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Turbo. Blue.
Thanks guys. At least I know what to look at now. I started on amazon and there's so many noname chinese brands it's crazy.

parapraxis24

Vdubber
Car(s)
MK7.5 Autobahn DSG
#BrokeBois went for the low profile Pittsburgh one anyway. I ain't got that Daytona money!
My friend has one of those, can't remember the weight rating on it, but I'm a huge fan of it. The 1.5T is $99, I'd get that unless you need to lift something more substantial, but it'll be plenty to get a corner of the GTI up in the air. Plus the large pad surface makes it very Audi jack-point retrofit friendly. The smaller ones (like my Kobalt), aren't quite large enough so they'll beat up the mounting pads.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
Pro tips:

Any jack is fine, just don’t trust ANY jack. Always use jack stands if you’re getting under the car in any way.

Use jack stands that have a pin.

I’ve got a 3 ton craftsman jack I modded, and a 1.5 ton aluminum harbor freight special that isn’t good for much of anything, but it’s sole purpose in life is supporting the engine/trans during BFI mount installations.

The craftsman had snap rings holding on the wheels, which failed constantly, so I drilled and tapped the axle to retain the wheels with a 1/4 20 and fender washer. Problem solved,

The HF doesn’t go high enough for jack stands and struggles to get a mk7 off the ground anyway. Moral of the story buy one rated for more if you plan to actually use it.

Those of you who’ve seen me around the forums know I have a proper two post lift and a big ol shop too, but it wasn’t always that way, and I’ve got thousands of hours logged doing things the hard way on the floor with a jack & jackstands.

HstephenG

Go Kart Champion

shovelhd

Autocross Champion
My friend has one of those, can't remember the weight rating on it, but I'm a huge fan of it. The 1.5T is $99, I'd get that unless you need to lift something more substantial, but it'll be plenty to get a corner of the GTI up in the air. Plus the large pad surface makes it very Audi jack-point retrofit friendly. The smaller ones (like my Kobalt), aren't quite large enough so they'll beat up the mounting pads.

I did the Audi jack point snubber fit for the rear but not the front yet. Are you saying that this jack fits under the car from the front and reaches the front Audi jack point, so that a jack stand can be used on the pinch weld? If so I'm going top pick one up. BF sales will get better and I'm Inside Track.

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I went for the Daytona long reach low profile jack, and I'm super pleased with it. But for some additional clearance, it may not be a bad idea to build some ramps -- I made a set of 5' long ramps from 2x10, stacked on one another and held together with deck screws. If you saw the corners off at 45 degree angles, it helps a little with the approach. I left a little over 12" per 'level', but lower cars may need more.

My assembly looks sort of like this:

==
======
==========

It's definitely less concerning than the plastic ramps, and even with lumber prices being up I was able to do it for ~$50. Additionally, I screwed some leftover 2x3 to the very top, to provide a 'stop' so that there's a little less likelihood of driving over the end of the ramps. I don't often need to use the entire length of the ramp if I'm just jacking the car up enough to get jackstands under it, but it's nice when you need the weight of the car to be on the suspension (for sway bars, etc).

parapraxis24

Vdubber
Car(s)
MK7.5 Autobahn DSG
I did the Audi jack point snubber fit for the rear but not the front yet. Are you saying that this jack fits under the car from the front and reaches the front Audi jack point, so that a jack stand can be used on the pinch weld? If so I'm going top pick one up. BF sales will get better and I'm Inside Track.

I still jack it up from the side, not the front, but yes. Mine is stock ride height, but I can reach the front jack-point and use a stand on the pinch weld.

I'll try it from the front next time, I need an oil change in the next few hundred miles so I can report back about reaching from the front instead of the side.

averyislost

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2020 GTI S

I've got two of these, they are fantastic. I've owned my first one for probably 6-7 years now (the older silver version) and it's never leaked. Only issue I've ever had with it was a front wheel lock ring popped off after using it to lift my 4runner on a dirt/mud surface. Popped it back on and it's been fine ever since. It'll jack the whole rear/front of my 4runner no problem but it's still low enough to get under the GTI without issue.

The new one seems to release a little faster when you're lowering the car, but maybe it's still breaking in or something.

It is heavy as hell though if you're used to one of those mini-jacks with the handles on the side

Nineeightyone

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
20 CX5 19 GTI 10 MZ3
I've got two of these, they are fantastic. I've owned my first one for probably 6-7 years now (the older silver version) and it's never leaked. Only issue I've ever had with it was a front wheel lock ring popped off after using it to lift my 4runner on a dirt/mud surface. Popped it back on and it's been fine ever since. It'll jack the whole rear/front of my 4runner no problem but it's still low enough to get under the GTI without issue.

The new one seems to release a little faster when you're lowering the car, but maybe it's still breaking in or something.

It is heavy as hell though if you're used to one of those mini-jacks with the handles on the side

Yeah, my Daytona has left the ground exactly once, to load it into and out of the car. IIRC it's near 100lbs, my back doesn't really enjoy lifting that by myself. Maybe it's time to get a mini jack to lift the Daytona into and out of the car 😂