GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 HPDE Plans

How many HPDE days are you planning for 2020?

• None

• 1 to 3

• 4 to 5

• 6 to 10

• 11 to 15

• 16 to 20

• 21 or more

Results are only viewable after voting.

SkyeC

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
18 GTI SE
Buttonwillow with Turn8 on 2/28.

Don’t have have anything else confirmed yet but I’d like to do Thill West, Laguna Seca, and Sonoma this year as well.

GTI Jake

Autocross Champion
A lot is up in the air for me in 2020, as I’m working on a big project and don’t know when it’ll be done.

Goals are CMP at least a few times and VIR by the end of summer.

I need to finish the big project before adding a LSD and radiator. Not gonna bother doing a bunch of track days without them

kch

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19 R DSG; 15 BRZ s.b
You'll have fun at the Ridge. I was there in 2017 and figure I need to head back this year to keep fresh. ACNW is heading to Area 27 in July and I was tempted, but my mates in the chapter are not going so I figured I would pass. That looks like a fun track, and the location in BC's wine country is nice too.

Let me know if you make it up to RMP this year and I'll try to come as well. If you're willing, I'd like to get some pointers re setup and adjustments to my driving style. This year will be my first time tracking a non-RWD car.

Edit: I'm trying reaaallllllly hard not to ruin my R like I did my BRZ.....but that racecar life calls to me.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Let me know if you make it up to RMP this year and I'll try to come as well. If you're willing, I'd like to get some pointers re setup and adjustments to my driving style. This year will be my first time tracking a non-RWD car.

Edit: I'm trying reaaallllllly hard not to ruin my R like I did my BRZ.....but that racecar life calls to me.

I have every intention of being there on 8/22-23 with the ACNA Northwest chapter. Registration opens June 24 at 6pm on MSR: MSR Event Link. Have you run with the club before?

Autobahn

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
'18 Golf R
@Autobahn, I should be at Big Willow February 23(Sunday) with Speed Ventures if you’re interested. It’s always fun to have other mk7s around.

Agreed, it’s nice meeting fellow VW owners at track. I’ll ping you if I end up going Sunday, normally I go Saturday’s.

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
Kind of off topic but related: do you get track day insurance? Doesn't seem too expensive but is it worth it?

Jimdog

Passed Driver's Ed
High performance driving events? My daily commute is a HPDE.

But really. I'm planning on at least 4-5 autocross events and a few drag strip days. Probably somewhere around 10 total.

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
That would put you squarely in the none category then. I will be instructing in an autocross school next month, instructing at 2 or 3 adult and teen car control clinics, and if I keep to my 2019 pace (and assuming the FAA does not close Marina Municipal Airport to automotive events), participating in 7 or 8 autocross events. But those are in addition to the dozen HPDE days that are the subject of this thread.

kch

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19 R DSG; 15 BRZ s.b
I have every intention of being there on 8/22-23 with the ACNA Northwest chapter. Registration opens June 24 at 6pm on MSR: MSR Event Link. Have you run with the club before?

Never done anything with the Audi/Porsche groups before, as I was in a BRZ until recently. What are the chances they'll let me run solo with ACNA?

Although now that I think about it, it's been a long while since I had an instructor, and it'll be my first time in the Golf. Maybe novice wouldn't be a bad idea, especially since I don't plan to go 11/10ths in this car. (edit: and will likely be on stock brakes and contis)

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
Never done anything with the Audi/Porsche groups before, as I was in a BRZ until recently. What are the chances they'll let me run solo with ACNA?

Although now that I think about it, it's been a long while since I had an instructor, and it'll be my first time in the Golf. Maybe novice wouldn't be a bad idea, especially since I don't plan to go 11/10ths in this car. (edit: and will likely be on stock brakes and contis)

The ACNW is fairly controlled when it comes to solo sign-offs. I would suggest you engage early with the registration contact (Grant - he's a former Golf R owner and current RS3 pilot) so that they know your driving experience and can pass that information on to the team who make the run group and instructor assignments. One thing you will definitely want to ensure is that they are satisfied that you have met the prerequisite for an ACNW driver skills training event or equivalent experience. I imagine you have, you just need to make sure they know about it.

They run 4 run groups: red (novice), yellow (intermediate), green (advanced - solo signed-off/instructor), and white (fastest). If I had to guess they would put you in yellow with an instructor, and you might get provisional solo status at some point during the event. I like having a coach in my right seat sometimes. That's something I miss now that I am an instructor with the California ACNA chapters. Fwiw, I am in green with the ACNW as an advanced student. I will talk to them about becoming an instructor with that chapter at some point but I need more experience with the PNW tracks first.

Reactions: kch

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2011 GTI
I just read on the SF SCCA Solo group FB page that a drone company is going to be putting up a building at Marina where the autoX events were held. They will have all of their autoX at Crows Landing this year.

(and assuming the FAA does not close Marina Municipal Airport to automotive events)

Cliff

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2015 Cayman GTS
I just read on the SF SCCA Solo group FB page that a drone company is going to be putting up a building at Marina where the autoX events were held. They will have all of their autoX at Crows Landing this year.

Thanks for the heads up. They posted that yesterday. I exchanged emails with the BMWCCA autocross coordinator this week and asked him about Marina and he did not have an answer. The annual BMWCCA car control clinic instructor meeting is a week from Sunday and that program uses the site as well, so we'll see what they say.