GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 HPDE Plans

How many HPDE days are you planning for 2020?

• None

• 1 to 3

• 4 to 5

• 6 to 10

• 11 to 15

• 16 to 20

• 21 or more

Results are only viewable after voting.

drrck

Go Kart Champion
Going to be a good season for me, have a few days booked at grattan and gingerman, mid Ohio and hopefully making a trip South to ncm and barber! I'm sure I end up at my local tracks Autobahn and Blackhawk Farms a few days as well. Hoping to have a repeat of 2017 where I squeezed in 18 track days that season.

When are you planning on Gingerman? I'll be there for sure in May with CGI.

glitronic

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2018 GTI AutobahnDSG
I usually do the following
  • Mission Raceway (to start the season, and once in the middle to tweak and tune)
  • Area 27 (1-2 times)
  • Vancouver Island Motorsport Circuit
But this year I'm heading to the Ridge in late September for the first time. Excited!
What are the clubs to run with at these tracks in the PNW?

My focus is autocross and rallycross but I enjoy the occasional track day. I'm looking for low-cost lapping, and I'll admit I've been spoiled by running at High Plains Raceway outside of Denver for $100ish and Road America many times for free (as a volunteer for the March of Dimes charity event).

ChrisAttebery

Drag Racing Champion
Car(s)
2011 GTI
I signed up to run at Laguna Seca on 2/13 and 3/14 with NCRC. They are running 7 sessions on 2/13 for $189.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG

My focus is autocross and rallycross but I enjoy the occasional track day. I'm looking for low-cost lapping, and I'll admit I've been spoiled by running at High Plains Raceway outside of Denver for $100ish and Road America many times for free (as a volunteer for the March of Dimes charity event).
I run events with Speed Fanatics and VCMC. They're both usually just BC based tracks however, I know that VCMC is doing one event at the Ridge in September (tix not up yet).

3rdOne

Go Kart Champion
$250 for a full weekend or out $30k when you wreck the car. You tell me. It can depend on the track and if you're staring at concrete barriers 10' away or 100' of open grass everywhere.

You're a moron.

Thanks, I appreciate your opinion on both counts.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I have a day coming up at Homestead with Chinmotorsports. I just had a look at the roster and my run group is full of GT3, Z06 and other high powered track oriented vehicles. As part of my prep, I’m going to swap in some track pads, bleed the brakes, put on the track tires and finally I’ll just get me one of these (below) and duct tape it to my door pillar!

Attachments

• 0CE046E9-CB65-4E23-8371-01637703968B.jpeg
    0CE046E9-CB65-4E23-8371-01637703968B.jpeg
    17.3 KB · Views: 104

kch

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
19 R DSG; 15 BRZ s.b

Besides the audi/porsche clubs (which I haven't run with before), there's Turn2, Hooked On Driving (only a few PNW events), and a less-formal group called TSS/Revscene. Most of them are posted on MotorsportReg.

TSS is an okay group but it's definitely a different crowd from most other HPDE groups I've driven with. Most of the time things run smoothly, but I've had the occasional bad day with them where someone has more money than skill and gets stuck in the gravel for an hour.

gboticus

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 R DSG
Besides the audi/porsche clubs (which I haven't run with before), there's Turn2, Hooked On Driving (only a few PNW events), and a less-formal group called TSS/Revscene. Most of them are posted on MotorsportReg.

TSS is an okay group but it's definitely a different crowd from most other HPDE groups I've driven with. Most of the time things run smoothly, but I've had the occasional bad day with them where someone has more money than skill and gets stuck in the gravel for an hour.
Heh, reminds me of Area 27 last May. It was a torrential downpour and people were sliding off the track left right and center. Not the organizer's fault but many sessions cut short to get the tow truck out. It's not supposed to monsoon rain in the desert ?

Reactions: kch

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
I have a day coming up at Homestead with Chinmotorsports. I just had a look at the roster and my run group is full of GT3, Z06 and other high powered track oriented vehicles. As part of my prep, I’m going to swap in some track pads, bleed the brakes, put on the track tires and finally I’ll just get me one of these (below) and duct tape it to my door pillar!
How are you in the same run group with a bunch of z06/gt3. Sounds like they put you in the incorrect run group or those drivers are very green.

jay745

What Would Glenn Danzig Do
Car(s)
Mk6 racecar, Tacoma
How are you in the same run group with a bunch of z06/gt3. Sounds like they put you in the incorrect run group or those drivers are very green.
Most clubs do put the roster together based on driver experience, not horsepower or anything to do with the cars.

SouthFL_Mk7.5

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI S
I used to run with Chin Motorsports over a dozen years ago. Back then the cars were a hodgepodge of low end and high end vehicles and everything in between.

A few months ago I rejoined Chin and ran in my old run group at Sebring. Upon staging, I noticed that things had kicked up 3 notches since my last outing with them.

Luckily I wasn’t running red group- as many of those cars were track prepared race cars with roll cages, aero, huge brakes, and some even had pit crews.

I ran a notch down from red in run group and the cars were still very stout. Lots of Porsches and Vettes. One Miata bookended the bottom in terms of power and I’m the sole “light middleweight” between the Miata and the 911’s, GT3s and Z06’s.

Shaking the significant decade’s worth of rust off and running in a new car, getting used to front wheel drive dynamics, management of street/track pads I was looking out the rear view mirror most the time and even got hung out to dry once by a line of Porsches at Oak bend- it’s point by rules full course but the 2nd and 3rd and 4th cars were taking liberties with me!

As the morning progressed and I was aware of my shortcomings, I hired a pro driver to get me back up to speed and assert my line with the much faster cars. We were mixing in well with the group and I felt confident once again.

I thought that Sebring event was an anomaly in terms of Horsepower and Prep in the run groups- but it seems like it’s the trend now that I see the roster for this next track event. Event fees have gone up significantly so maybe it’s attracting a higher end of clientele??

Last edited:

jmason

Go Kart Newbie
Three weekends at Summit Point Main with PCA. It's close enough that I can commute to the track, saving long-distance travel and overnight expenses. A bit short of mad money this year so trying to maximize participation at the lowest cost! I am getting a bit tired of SP Main at this point, so would love to travel more. Maybe next year (isn't that what we always say?).

Crild

Drag Race Newbie
Most clubs do put the roster together based on driver experience, not horsepower or anything to do with the cars.
Correct they do but you also have to factor lap times as well and shift when necessary. Putting extremely fast cars on track with slow ones isnt smart for hpde's.