GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 GTI usb-c swap

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
I think it would be possible to get it to work. Can you snap a shot of the rear of the module?

Branman

Just finished watching Fast&Fuzzynuts
I tried a couple more things this past weekend with no luck. I did however look up part numbers for the 2019/2020 glove box radio units and they appear to be different part numbers. So that might be my answer right there maybe.

KyACRASH

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
2015 GTI 6MT, 04 R32
I tried a couple more things this past weekend with no luck. I did however look up part numbers for the 2019/2020 glove box radio units and they appear to be different part numbers. So that might be my answer right there maybe.
what is the part # for the 2020 model?

Sc629

Go Kart Newbie
It may have to do with the cable rather than the box

Cuzoe

Autocross Champion
@Branman do you have the part number for the new cable you tried?

I'm thinking I might try this. I have retroffited MIB 2.5 and have had (what seem to be) issues with my USB port. Not looking to troubleshoot in your thread but Carplay works perfectly while Android Auto repeatedly has issues showing connected/disconnected. I know everyone says get a new cable but I'm past that (literally reinstalled my MIB II and verified my phone/cable worked).

When it works I love Android Auto but it is so much less likely to just work than CarPlay which has worked everytime, with every cable we have. Could just be something wrong with my MIB 2.5 unit I guess. Blah blah blah... current plan is to replace the USB port and wiring, figure it won't hurt to try going USB-C.

Edit: I have the pinout for standard USB/Aux port. I suppose I could temporarily subscribe to Erwin and get the pinout for the USB-C port to compare. Both ends of this cable are the molded type so won't be able to re-pin but I can certainly cut the harness in and half and re-wire as necessary, haha.

Last edited:

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
Anyone noticed that the 2020 head units have slightly different software? Can anyone get ahold of the update for the 2019 guys

Andrewbens

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTi S 6 Speed
They're MIB3, so no you can't update to it.
I was talking about the 2019 S head unit which is in the same as the 2020