GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 GTI S vs. 2017 GTI Sport

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
At someone point, a high volume dealer in DC area used to have close to 40 brand new 2019 Rs in their inventory and people were getting great deals on them.

Current GTI shortage might be due to the covid as VW Pubela plant was shutdown for a while. I am amazed to see that people are reporting $500 / a grand or so off msrp on their brand new 2020 GTIs in a different forum. VW dealers should be very happy making those deals.
most 2020 gti s are 26k , 4k off of msrp

Judas

Go Kart Newbie
When searching Auto Tempest you get an aggregate feed for many car re-sale sites. Pricing is from 34k to clearly 50k depending on new and/or used. We have both shown 1 example, however, there are many more vehicles going for large amounts at this time for both a GTI and R. FYI, the credibility of an eBay link is the sum of your willingness to pay the price. Clearly you are not willing to pay the price.
lol what? im not willing to pay the price? lol i never said i was looking, just correcting your false statement, who are you to judge my financials lol ebay is never credible
maybe its different in the uk, i was talking about the usa

Ecapskcab

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 Mk7 GTI
lol what? im not willing to pay the price? lol i never said i was looking, just correcting your false statement, who are you to judge my financials lol ebay is never credible
I am not one to judge, you or your financials. False statement, "$50k Golf R via eBay motors." I provided a link. It is clearly for sale through a company in AZ. I'm not suggesting you need to or should purchase a new car. I was adding content to the idea that currently there is a shortage, the resale market it a bit higher than normal; if you can find new you may see some higher prices. IMHO, all these ideas support one another. Please, don't take offense to an internet stranger.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
This is absurd. 2019 Golf R $50k. I know it is an Ebay link, but they seem extremely overpriced at the moment even when you do locate them.

Spektrum program had a $2500 premium from the factory but this one is definitely overpriced.

I love the description in the ad - We will not be driving this car, but will be collecting it for ourselves, but will consider selling it if there is a buyer out there who really wanted one, and didn’t get the chance to own one.

most 2020 gti s are 26k , 4k off of msrp

I am sure people can get deals on a 2020 if they look around and do some research. All i said was people are paying stupid money for these cars based on real world updates.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I'd like to point out that 2 people that are both 6'2" can fit differently in the same car.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
its absurd you think an ebay link is credible
https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/783462643/overview/

and used go for around 34k

Its not just another ebay link. If you spend a minute, you will release that its a real brick and mortar dealership.

I believe they are asking that price as it has 108 miles on the clock and Spektrum color option.

I am not one to judge, you or your financials. False statement, "$50k Golf R via eBay motors." I provided a link. It is clearly for sale through a company in AZ. I'm not suggesting you need to or should purchase a new car. I was adding content to the idea that currently there is a shortage, the resale market it a bit higher than normal; if you can find new you may see some higher prices. IMHO, all these ideas support one another. Please, don't take offense to an internet stranger.

Internet is a strange world :)

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Judas has good posture. I'm a large 6'3" but I slouch and prefer my seat somewhat reclined.

Also, one of you could have longer legs, torso, neck, head. It's not like we're all build exactly the same.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Also, one of you could have longer legs, torso, neck, head. It's not like we're all build exactly the same.

Interesting tidbit. Regardless of height the distance from the ground to the fingers on an arm hanging by your side is about the same. That's why the height of pall bearers doesn't matter. And I said about not exactly.

Jeffapotamus

Ready to race!
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I test drove a Veloster N before I bought my GTI. I probably would have bought it if it weren't a manual (my wife can't drive it). I love my GTI though.

When I was shopping this spring I bought a leftover 2019 SE with the experience package. VW had removed some of the options from 2019 to 2020 and the experience package wasn't an option for 2020 either. Extra bonus the 2019 has a 6 year warranty vs 4 years for the 2020.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
I did a new car search with a 500 mile search radius. Found a bunch of 2020 S trim GTI's; not one Rabbit Edition. Prices were all over the mid-to-upper $20K range. Figure I need to add a one-way airline ticket plus TT&L by me for many of these dealers. Found one low-mileage CPO 2019 Rabbit Edition about 300 miles from me. Asking price is at the high end of the $20K range for the 2020 S trim GTI's.

kingkhan

Ready to race!
I did a new car search with a 500 mile search radius. Found a bunch of 2020 S trim GTI's; not one Rabbit Edition. Prices were all over the mid-to-upper $20K range. Figure I need to add a one-way airline ticket plus TT&L by me for many of these dealers. Found one low-mileage CPO 2019 Rabbit Edition about 300 miles from me. Asking price is at the high end of the $20K range for the 2020 S trim GTI's.

Rabbit was only available in 2019 as a limited run.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold

US got 3000 Rabbits for MY19 and dealers ran out of brand new inventory a while ago. I bought mine from a high volume dealer in DC and they didnt have anything in stock last aug. They got my vehicle as a dealer swap from a nearby state.

Since US got limited number of Rabbits unlike Canada, dealers think its something special which makes them ask for a premium even though its just another trim.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
US got 3000 Rabbits for MY19 and dealers ran out of brand new inventory a while ago. I bought mine from a high volume dealer in DC and they didnt have anything in stock last aug. They got my vehicle as a dealer swap from a nearby state.

Since US got limited number of Rabbits unlike Canada, dealers think its something special which makes them ask for a premium even though its just another trim.
Appreciate that info. Not likely getting anything out of Canada these days with the border closed, and likely staying that way for a long time. I can practically see Canada from where I live...
Worst case, I get to keep my prepped 17 Sport.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Appreciate that info. Not likely getting anything out of Canada these days with the border closed, and likely staying that way for a long time. I can practically see Canada from where I live...
Worst case, I get to keep my prepped 17 Sport.

Canada also got a better version of Rabbit and was built in unlimited numbers unlike US.

How difficult is it to buy a vehicle in Canada and register in US. Also I think US dealers would not do any warranty work on Canadian vehicles. Is it worth the hassle and effort.