GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 GTI S vs. 2017 GTI Sport

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Sounds like the S is the sweet spot in the model range for you. The rear sway bar will make a very noticeable difference and is the one to swap if you can only swap one. There are linear springs that you can use like the Racingline, VW Drivergear, and Euro spec Eibach's.

If you're interested, you can also shave some unsprung weight by swapping the front calipers to the Macan Brembo's. There are also a few traction, braking, and differential tweaks that can be done via VCDS or OBDEleven if you have access to either.
The suggestion of the "S" has some interesting synergy for me, given that my first water-cooled VW was a Mk. 1 Rabbit S. Best car I ever owned and I kicked some serious butt autocrossing that car. Best Nationals & Divisionals results ever!
My class rules won't let me touch the stock springs or even the bump stops. Same with the brakes, although I really like the way the Macan swap is developing. VCDS and/or OBDEleven tweaks are verbotten as well. Those, in particular, are carefully monitored. Probably would use an H&R RSB rather than the 034 on my current car.

Last edited:

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Just did an internet search with a 275 mile radius- only found a handful of 2020 GTI S, M/T units. Only (2) within 100 miles. Limited colors available; mostly black, a couple of white ones and a couple red ones. Zero CPO GTI's out there. Not very likely finding a Rabbit Edition.

Last edited:

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
Thanks for the info, guys. It looks like the SE is what I need to be looking at. Can't say I'm thrilled with the standard leather seats- I prefer the cloth. One of my needs is that it be (potentially) a nationals-level autocrosser. And I know, the Civic SI has taken that possibility away from the GTI. I just wish Honda offered it in a 5-door hatch configuration- I'd be all over it. The sedan doesn't work for my other needs. About to take a quick look down the road from me at a Veloster N with the Performance Package. I know it isn't up to the GTI's on the road level of comfort, performance and luxury, but, we'll see.

Find a lightly used 2019 Rabbit edition.. it's the exact spec you want.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Find a lightly used 2019 Rabbit edition.. it's the exact spec you want.
I put this one specifically on my search list- there are no CPO GTI's of any type within a 275 mile radius of my location
I appreciate the recommendation & agree 100% with it.

GTIfan99

Autocross Champion
I put this one specifically on my search list- there are no CPO GTI's of any type within a 275 mile radius of my location

That's too bad. If I couldn't get a Rabbit, I'd stick with the 17 Sport honestly. Those are the only 2 specs of GTI that I've ever really been interested in 100%. I bought an 18 GTI S and was disappointed after a year, so I gave it to my son and bought a Rabbit when they came out. If the 18 had the lighting package and PP with no sunroof, I'd probably have kept it, so maybe you could buy a 2020 S and upgrade the headlights. I mean I like keyless, but using a key didn't bother me in the 18 S, it was the headlights and lack of PP that were the deal breakers for me.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
That's too bad. If I couldn't get a Rabbit, I'd stick with the 17 Sport honestly. Those are the only 2 specs of GTI that I've ever really been interested in 100%. I bought an 18 GTI S and was disappointed after a year, so I gave it to my son and bought a Rabbit when they came out. If the 18 had the lighting package and PP with no sunroof, I'd probably have kept it, so maybe you could buy a 2020 S and upgrade the headlights. I mean I like keyless, but using a key didn't bother me in the 18 S, it was the headlights and lack of PP that were the deal breakers for me.
At least the 2020 GTI S comes with the PP. Otherwise, I wouldn't be considering this option at all. I will miss the KESSY and the headlights; I can prebably retrofit the headlights, but anticipate that will require some recoding too. The 2017 Sport is perfect for my needs. Thank you for the tip on the 2018 S and all the other non-PP GTI trims.

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
The problem with a used 18 or 19 vs a new 20 is that the used cars have the 6/72 warranty while 20 is 4/50. I'd keep your 17 Sport since it already has the PP and the 8 hp difference isn't likely noticeable. Both times I've bought a GTI, I've had to have it delivered from another dealer, once about 400 miles away and last time only about 200, finding a manual is getting to be more and more difficult.

Also, I've had the HID's like your Sport and the LED's in my 18, and there's not much, if any difference. I feel like the HID's were more active with steering input, but could just be imagining things. In theory, the LED's should use a lot less power and give you a smidge better mileage, but it's got to be a trivial difference. And KESSY and heated seats are two things that I just have to have on a modern car, wouldn't buy one without those two. Also strongly prefer cloth to cheap leather/vinyl. Having owned both, I'd never go back to leather. One of a few things that's kept me out of the R too, even though the 0% financing and odds of the Mk8 R not offering a manual have made one more tempting recently.

Ecapskcab

Ready to race!
Car(s)
15 Mk7 GTI
In the states is there a shortage of GTI and R because of the incoming Mk8? What is the reasoning behind there not being much stock to work with?

bentin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
23 Golf R - 3 Pedals
In the states is there a shortage of GTI and R because of the incoming Mk8? What is the reasoning behind there not being much stock to work with?
We don't get the Mk8 GTI until fall of 2021 at earliest and the MK7 R is likely out of production, or very nearly so, so they're just selling old inventory from here on. VW USA is a special group, they screw us at every opportunity and rarely give us what the ROW gets. They've also limited colors and packages on the 2021 Mk7 GTI while they wind down the Puebla plant from GTI production.

Speaking of getting screwed, know any finance jobs in your neck of the woods? Today's release of the G81 M3 wagon has me looking to move, as BMW USA is almost as daft as VW USA and we'll never get it stateside.

GOLF NUTT

Drag Race Newbie
Car(s)
2019 Golf GTI
I believe that N. America will not be getting the MK8 until fall of '21 and the MK7.5 produced in Mexico is still being built there.
Best to you OP finding what you want.

theDoktor

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2017 GTI Sport
Speaking of getting screwed, know any finance jobs in your neck of the woods? Today's release of the G81 M3 wagon has me looking to move, as BMW USA is almost as daft as VW USA and we'll never get it stateside.

Awesome looking renders. And I suspect that, unfortunately, you are right and it won't be coming to our shores.