Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch
that's because 6mt SE is where it's at :cool:
edit: apparently it no longer has the Fender sub...bummer

LowSkyOrbit

Car(s)
2019 Golf SportWagen
Hyundai/Kia have made shit cars within the decade. Every owner I know, albeit it’s not many, have had catastrophic issues with them in recent years. From Kia eating a quart of oil every tank, a known issue, to Hyundai’s electrical issues that make VW’s seem flawless in that department.

and trust me, I know my VW is a ticking time bomb, but it’s fun to drive and doesn’t look like shit some Subaru-bro dreamed up in 10th grade.

My family has had a bunch of Hyundais and they all were pretty good, mostly Tuscons and Sonatas. They aren't the same brand they were in the 90s. They make a great car, and the only reason I didn't get one this time around was that I wanted an AWD wagon that wasn't made by Subaru.

scasey

Passed Driver's Ed
Car(s)
2019 GTI
I think the only Kia or Hyundai I would buy right now is a Stinger, and there aren't that many of them so the good one seems to hold its value somewhat well and new ones are really expensive. Obviously the Veloster is a good car, but I would never drive anything that looks like that. There seems to be a waiting list for the Telluride, but I am not interested in an SUV either.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Right about now I'm guessing Corprin regrets that comment about Hyundai.

Corprin

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
A car
You are delusional. I actually owned a Subaru too since you brought it up (WRX). Ran an E30 320 whp tune for thousands of miles with ZERO issues. Handling wise, it blows the GTI out of the water. No CEL ever too. BTW that 3.3T from Hyundai/KIA will wipe the floor with the EA888.

lol. My comment was regarding how the Velociter looks. Again, it’s as though some flat-brimmed monster hat Subaru-bro dreamed it up. Much like the current Civic type-R, if I drove either I’d be forced to kick my own ass.

Since you brought up Subaru... For every story about thousands of trouble free miles in a tuned Subaru, there’s 500 others with pistons/rings/rods that shit the bed when a tuner just looked at it. Yet somehow I’m the delusional one? You are acting like it’s not common knowledge that Subaru turbo motors are a ticking time bomb, and their drivetrains were once cobbled together from dried ramen noodles and hope. I’ve been at this game for a very long time, on three continents, and speak from vast personal experience in building and tuning cars.

I have friends who own both Kia and Hyundai with extreme oil consumption issues, and horrendous electrical issues in <5yo cars. More importantly I have seen what those companies have tried to pull to keep the owner in the car, not simply buy the turds back. But yeah, they are great cars!

Right about now I'm guessing Corprin regrets that comment about Hyundai.

why would I regret it? Because some Hyundai lovers on the internet disagree with my opinion on cars that I would never own?

If you want one, great, who am I to argue your life choices, but please don’t take me for someone that gives two shits about saying an opinion unpopular in the car buying segment my GTI lives in. I get the fact that they are cheap, and quick enough, and handle decent, but they still look childish and are of questionable quality.

I own my GTI because I liked the looks, reminds me of driving my old MKI and MK2, with a little of my Starlet And Pug 205 GTI tossed in for good measure. Plus it was $28k out the door with a fantastic warranty, and has plaid interior. I have no delusions that it’s not a maintenance hog with questionable build quality and like a Subaru a matter of time before I break something important... hence the warranty. The giggle factor vastly outweighed the foreseeable issues. I’m sure I’d have been fine with a Velocitor, but I couldn’t risk my dignity by owning such a thing.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
lol. My comment was regarding how the Velociter looks. Again, it’s as though some flat-brimmed monster hat Subaru-bro dreamed it up. Much like the current Civic type-R, if I drove either I’d be forced to kick my own ass.

Since you brought up Subaru... For every story about thousands of trouble free miles in a tuned Subaru, there’s 500 others with pistons/rings/rods that shit the bed when a tuner just looked at it. Yet somehow I’m the delusional one? You are acting like it’s not common knowledge that Subaru turbo motors are a ticking time bomb, and their drivetrains were once cobbled together from dried ramen noodles and hope. I’ve been at this game for a very long time, on three continents, and speak from vast personal experience in building and tuning cars.

I have friends who own both Kia and Hyundai with extreme oil consumption issues, and horrendous electrical issues in <5yo cars. More importantly I have seen what those companies have tried to pull to keep the owner in the car, not simply buy the turds back. But yeah, they are great cars!

why would I regret it? Because some Hyundai lovers on the internet disagree with my opinion on cars that I would never own?

If you want one, great, who am I to argue your life choices, but please don’t take me for someone that gives two shits about saying an opinion unpopular in the car buying segment my GTI lives in. I get the fact that they are cheap, and quick enough, and handle decent, but they still look childish and are of questionable quality.

I own my GTI because I liked the looks, reminds me of driving my old MKI and MK2, with a little of my Starlet And Pug 205 GTI tossed in for good measure. Plus it was $28k out the door with a fantastic warranty, and has plaid interior. I have no delusions that it’s not a maintenance hog with questionable build quality and like a Subaru a matter of time before I break something important... hence the warranty. The giggle factor vastly outweighed the foreseeable issues. I’m sure I’d have been fine with a Velocitor, but I couldn’t risk my dignity by owning such a thing.

I guess you missed my post about the 2 Hyundais I've owned.

vj123

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
19 & 16 GTI - sold
Hyundai/Kia have made shit cars within the decade.

No company can survive a competitive markey by making such cars for that long. You might not be a fan of that brand and that doesnt mean that they are terrible.

This is pretty much the same comments most people make about VWs and also about Fords outside US.

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI

So you never owned a Hyundai or Subaru. Makes sense. Ignorance is bliss.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Actually if the Veloster N had a DSG trans like the 2016 Veloster I had I would have bought it instead of the GTI. Hyundai did use much cheaper materials on the interior of the N compared to the one I had. I'm glad that I got the GTI though as it has much more potential power with the aftermarket support that Hyundai doesn't have.

StockblockGLI

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GLI

Subliminal

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
Slow FWD VW Hatch

Reggie Enchilada

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
yes
Wheel diameter- 1"+ or -; struts (no coil-overs), 200 wear rating tires, one sway bar change-out- either front or rear, adjustable OK. Already have 17 rims with RE71's mounted. Need to replace rear bar, install adjustable struts eventually. I've got a bigger, adjustable front bar, endlinks & hardware, but that's a mod of last resort, given that I have to drop the front subframe to install it.
Sounds like the S is the sweet spot in the model range for you. The rear sway bar will make a very noticeable difference and is the one to swap if you can only swap one. There are linear springs that you can use like the Racingline, VW Drivergear, and Euro spec Eibach's.

If you're interested, you can also shave some unsprung weight by swapping the front calipers to the Macan Brembo's. There are also a few traction, braking, and differential tweaks that can be done via VCDS or OBDEleven if you have access to either.