GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 GTI 6mt not shifting into 5th sometimes

SnowCone

Hi all,

Got a 2020 GTI new about 6 months ago. Lately, it's occasionally resisting going into 5th gear. It half-meshes, but isn't completely meshed. A shift to 4 and back into 5 fixes it, as does carefully letting out the clutch a little until things line up. It's the same feeling I've gotten on other cars that don't like shifting into reverse sometimes. Since new, 5th gear always felt a little grainier than the others, but this is new.

I've driven manuals for 15 years, and don't race around, so I don't think I'm abusing anything.

Of course I plan to contact the dealer, but given how hard to reproduce this is I expect this to cost me a lot of time -- with COVID hours, trips to the dealer cost me days off work. Is there anything I can look or feel for that might help diagnose this? It happens about 2-3 times a day on my 40 mile round trip commute. It's done it here and there in the past, but much more all of a sudden.

Edit: Also worth mentioning - the car's been at the dealer three times to fix a front differential leak they couldn't seem to take care of. The first two times it was leaking gear oil and they replaced the seals; the third time all they told me was it was leaking where it mated to the trans, so I don't know which fluid was leaking there.

Thanks.

2020 GTI 6 speed, 12k miles

Last edited:

PRRGG1

Drag Racing Champion
My wife's '17 5-Speed is reluctant to go into 2nd sometimes and members here suggested a transmission alignment, which seemed to be a modest job for a Dealership. You might first try that. When I asked, my Dealer told me to kiss a goose.* Ours has mysteriously improved over the years, but it still resists every now and then.

* I extracted my revenge by buying my 2021 elsewhere.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
So many of these threads about the manual trans. So many changes have to be made to seemingly make it work better. Is there anything good about it? I drove cars and trucks with manual trans most of my life and none needed the changes it takes to make the GTI manual trans decent.

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
So many of these threads about the manual trans. So many changes have to be made to seemingly make it work better. Is there anything good about it? I drove cars and trucks with manual trans most of my life and none needed the changes it takes to make the GTI manual trans decent.
It’s not that bad Jim. It’s a good transmission- I’ve been driving manuals since I started to drive twenty two years ago, this one is no different than the others. Sure some feel slightly better in some ways, but this one is by no means a “bad” transmission. I have no complaints.

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
It’s not that bad Jim. It’s a good transmission- I’ve been driving manuals since I started to drive twenty two years ago, this one is no different than the others. Sure some feel slightly better in some ways, but this one is by no means a “bad” transmission. I have no complaints.
Then why do I read about so many modifications being made to correct problems?

Daks

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
GTI PP
I don’t necessarily think that they are problems Jim. The aftermarket is there so people use it - I bought a diesel geek for no other reason than that I had 300 burning a hole in my pocket; others can’t drive well. I maintain that it’s a good transmission.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
You can always make things better suited to your taste.... you do tune your TCU, don't you? Add shift paddle extensions? What kind of question is that in a car forum lol
For example Jim, i see you put a TPC20 in your car... was there any problems with your IS20?

I did all the common 6MT mods on my MKV GTI.... i have kept this one basically stock other than a GSB knob and honestly i like it better like this...
It shifts so smooth... with the extra weight of the GSB knob, thats all it needs... all those mods hurt the smoothness, and turns out, I like that the most...

No problem with the stock 6 speed for me

edit: I did add an angled spacer on the throttle pedal to bring it close to the brake for better heel and toe but its still not as good as the MkV that had a bottom hinged throttle pedals... much much better

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
You can always make things better suited to your taste.... you do tune your TCU, don't you? Add shift paddle extensions? What kind of question is that in a car forum lol
For example Jim, i see you put a TPC20 in your car... was there any problems with your IS20?

I did all the common 6MT mods on my MKV GTI.... i have kept this one basically stock other than a GSB knob and honestly i like it better like this...
It shifts so smooth... with the extra weight of the GSB knob, thats all it needs... all those mods hurt the smoothness, and turns out, I like that the most...

No problem with the stock 6 speed for me
Yes my DSG is tuned but I didn't have to do anything else to it like get an aftermarket clutch to handle the power. The problem with the IS20 was I couldn't get 400 + HP with it. I'm glad that you're happy with the manual trans.

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Its all a compromise, you lost torque below 2,500rpm with the TPC20 over your IS20.... I choose not to compromise the shifter smoothness over all the mods people do to make the shifter more direct/precise....

I think Daks and I are speaking more of how the shifting of the transmission "feels"... a "good" one vs a "bad" manual transmission.... it "feels" as good as any modern manual car, maybe even better than the average I would say... i have driven BMWs, Ford and Mazda stick shifts recently.... the BMW was the nicest but very stiff, clutch, shifter, everything... i was too used to my little VW....

If you are saying "problems" you could say the clutch is a "problem", if you consider it part of the transmission..... I have not done anything to the clutch though, my MKV's was sold at 106k mi with the stock clutch, albeit slipping... something tells me this one will last less lol.... the manual transmission is fine... the clutch is another story.....

edit: We'll see how long it'll last, im not babying it.... I bought it knowing the clutch wouldn't survive much after a stage 2 tune... I always assumed having to do a clutch swap halfway through its life.... The SRE clutch or TTRS, whatever i go with, should survive to the end.....

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
Its all a compromise, you lost torque below 2,500rpm with the TPC20 over your IS20.... I choose not to compromise the shifter smoothness over all the mods people do to make the shifter more direct/precise....

I think Daks and I are speaking more of how the shifting of the transmission "feels"... a "good" one vs a "bad" manual transmission.... it "feels" as good as any modern manual car, maybe even better than the average I would say... i have driven BMWs, Ford and Mazda stick shifts recently.... the BMW was the nicest but very stiff, clutch, shifter, everything... i was too used to my little VW....

If you are saying "problems" you could say the clutch is a "problem", if you consider it part of the transmission..... I have not done anything to the clutch though, my MKV's was sold at 106k mi with the stock clutch, albeit slipping... something tells me this one will last less lol.... the manual transmission is fine... the clutch is another story.....

edit: We'll see how long it'll last, im not babying it.... I bought it knowing the clutch wouldn't survive much after a stage 2 tune... I always assumed having to do a clutch swap halfway through its life.... The SRE clutch or TTRS, whatever i go with, should survive to the end.....
I get it you like the manual trans. As far as losing torque below 2500 RPM with the TPC20 it's irrelevant. I don't floor it below 2500 RPM.

El_bigote_AJ

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI bunny
Yes my DSG is tuned but I didn't have to do anything else to it like get an aftermarket clutch to handle the power. The problem with the IS20 was I couldn't get 400 + HP with it. I'm glad that you're happy with the manual trans.
Haha, why you trolling this thread?

In reality why even open a thread that YOU KNOW you will have nothing to contribute to it... of all the cars your drove none were 02M/O2Q/OFB

So you can add nothing.

And surely trying to justify you having an auto it’s not any constructive addition.

I’ve owned 4 cars with this same transmission and when to 170k with the first, and 120k with another and never modded them and was perfectly fine.

People mod this cars transmissions because they want it to feel like a performance cars transmission not a comfy commuter setup that vw created.

And to be technical a clutch is not a transmission it’s part of the drivetrain. Just like a TQ converter....lol

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT
Well more like 3,400 right? but you dont floor it below that either im guessing, LSPI and all..... but its a compromise nevertheless.....

1617939992350.png

hans611

Lost
Car(s)
'16 Golf R 6MT

In reality why even open a thread that YOU KNOW you will have nothing to contribute to it... of all the cars your drove none were 02M/O2Q/OFB

So you can add nothing.

And surely trying to justify you having an auto it’s not any constructive addition.

I’ve owned 4 cars with this same transmission and when to 170k with the first, and 120k with another and never modded them and was perfectly fine.

People mod this cars transmissions because they want it to feel like a performance cars transmission not a comfy commuter setup that vw created.

And to be technical a clutch is not a transmission it’s part of the drivetrain. Just like a TQ converter....lol

Yeah i bit the bait.....

Also says he doesn't floor it below XXXX rpm... with the DSG thats not easy, thats one thing the manual has going.. i can drop from 6th to 2nd if I want to pass a car, you would tap your paddle what? 5-6 times? Or make sure you were in S and slowly push the pedal and hope it gets out of the knock-zone, wait and then floor it?....Also the gearing is so freaking tall in those DSGs.... my Golf R is turning 3,100rpm at 80mph..... its actually great, and i barely drive in traffic.... ill get a DSG later! Manuals will be gone before ICE engines are...

Last edited:

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG

So you can add nothing.

The DSG has clutches also. All I said that started this was it's been my observation from reading other threads that the the manual trans isn't that great but I'll take everyone's word for it that it is.