GOLFMK8
GOLFMK7
GOLFMK6
GOLFMKV

2020 Golf regular 0W20 at 3000 miles

al.jdm

Car(s)
golf
Did a first oil change on my gf's new golf at 3000 miles. Ended up putting Castrol 0W20 synthetic and plan to change it every 3000 miles.

From what I've read, the VW508 has a special dye and designed for longer OCI. If I'm changing it every 3000 miles, does it even matter if I just use a normal 0w20?

Also, was planning on using OEM filter at 6000 miles in case she wants to bring it to the dealership for oil change at the 10,000 miles mark so she's able to maintain her warranty. I am curious, is there a way for them to tell that the oil that was used was not VW508? I'm sure the dye is only visible for new oil and not used oil... so in that regard, I don't think there is a way for them to tell?

BoostnGTI20

Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
Did a first oil change on my gf's new golf at 3000 miles. Ended up putting Castrol 0W20 synthetic and plan to change it every 3000 miles.

From what I've read, the VW508 has a special dye and designed for longer OCI. If I'm changing it every 3000 miles, does it even matter if I just use a normal 0w20?

Also, was planning on using OEM filter at 6000 miles in case she wants to bring it to the dealership for oil change at the 10,000 miles mark so she's able to maintain her warranty. I am curious, is there a way for them to tell that the oil that was used was not VW508? I'm sure the dye is only visible for new oil and not used oil... so in that regard, I don't think there is a way for them to tell?
as some one who just put their first thousand on my new 20 gti i am folowing this to find out the answer.

Dog Dad Wagon

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
16 Touareg TDI
Why are you changing your fully synthetic, 10K mile-recommended OCI oil at 3K miles? I understand an early first change to get the break-in metals out of the system.

but now that you’ve done your first change, I would go to 5K miles, check oil level, and if it needs a bit of oil top it off. Run it another 5K miles, and get it changed every 10K from there on :)

the age of 3K mile oil changes is gone. There is no increased value, just wasted money and more usable oil being disposed of.

do some research, any 5 minute YouTube video will show that manufacturer’s modern 10K+ oil change intervals are not just safe, they’re in many cases conservative. They don’t recommend a bigger number because it would freak the average motorist who used to change their oil every 3K out.

Synthetic oils don’t break down / coke.

BoostnGTI20

Car(s)
2020 Golf GTI
Tgi============
Why are you changing your fully synthetic, 10K mile-recommended OCI oil at 3K miles? I understand an early first change to get the break-in metals out of the system.

but now that you’ve done your first change, I would go to 5K miles, check oil level, and if it needs a bit of oil top it off. Run it another 5K miles, and get it changed every 10K from there on :)

the age of 3K mile oil changes is gone. There is no increased value, just wasted money and more usable oil being disposed of.

do some research, any 5 minute YouTube video will show that manufacturer’s modern 10K+ oil change intervals are not just safe, they’re in many cases conservative. They don’t recommend a bigger number because it would freak the average motorist who used to change their oil every 3K out.

Good info!

al.jdm

Car(s)
golf
That is true. Coming from a subaru EJ platform, I have always changed my engine at 3k due to the issues with the sti engines.

Only reason why I wanted to change it at every 3k miles for the golf is because I didn't use the approved vw508 oil but instead used a normal 0w20 oil.

i actually save more money changing the oil earlier at 3k with an on "sale" 0w20 oil for less than half the price of an approved vw508.

If the only key difference between the vw508 oil and normal 0w20 (SN, SP) is the long mileage then id rather change early and pay a fraction for the cost of the normal 0w20 oil.

hence why i wanted to confirm if my assumption about the vw508 oil not being any different than the normal 0w20 oil aside from long mileage and a tracer dye..

jimlloyd40

Autocross Champion
Car(s)
2018 SE DSG
They can't see the dye in used oil and if you don't mind the cost changing your oil every 3000 miles is a great idea. Is it necessary? No. But your engine will love it.

And welcome to the forum also. 👍

absoluteczech

GolfMKV ADMlN
Car(s)
981 Cayman & GTI SE
That is true. Coming from a subaru EJ platform, I have always changed my engine at 3k due to the issues with the sti engines.

Only reason why I wanted to change it at every 3k miles for the golf is because I didn't use the approved vw508 oil but instead used a normal 0w20 oil.

i actually save more money changing the oil earlier at 3k with an on "sale" 0w20 oil for less than half the price of an approved vw508.

If the only key difference between the vw508 oil and normal 0w20 (SN, SP) is the long mileage then id rather change early and pay a fraction for the cost of the normal 0w20 oil.

hence why i wanted to confirm if my assumption about the vw508 oil not being any different than the normal 0w20 oil aside from long mileage and a tracer dye..
ill just say a big IF (and i highly doubt it will) but if you had a catostrophic engine failure and they asked for records and it showed you didnt use vw spec 508 you could have some issues.something to keep in mind

shortyb

Autocross Newbie
Car(s)
Felon Taxi,Dad Wagon
Just like the folks over at BITOG told you, just because you plan to change it earlier does not make it the same as using a 508 spec oil. Having a vehicle now that specs it, I've learned that 508 is pretty damn good stuff in many more areas than just longer OCI. Cleanliness and wear protection are superior in a 508, just look at a Lubrizol spider graph comparing it to run of the mill 0W-20s. And what do you plan to gain by going to a non-508 0W-20? If its to save a few bucks, thats rather silly as you can source OE 508 0W-20 at the dealer for about $7 a qt. Or do the ShopDAP oil change kit for $54 that includes the OE filter and drain plug. If you REALLY want to save a few $$$, stop doing oil changes at 3K. That Jiffy Lube mantra went out decades ago.

mac340

Go Kart Champion
Car(s)
2019 GTI SE 6MT
For anyone that is an Amsoil guy they now have a 508 spec 0w20 oil. I just changed mine yesterday and it is even the right color.